6 man History

Leman Saunders":2nues37r said:
Paint Creek's Coach at the time was an Ex-NFL player JC O'Neil, he did a thesis paper on six-man football in college and wrote a few articles for magazines about 6man as well.

He was also killed in a car wreck in 1958 near Waller. He had quit coaching earlier that year to go into business in Haskell.

The one that may have slipped away........

So a funny thing happened to me last month. There I was in the middle of a little league base ball game in Troy Texas minding my own business when BAM! I hear the words Retired and Air Force. So being the vet that I was I piped up for a chat with this older fellow. It turns out he was in the last class to graduated from Turnersville.

He said after he graduated he went on to join the Air Force as a crypto guy. He eventually retired and settled down in Rosebud. You could tell he still had a passion for the game. He mentioned numerous times the ass whippings he and the Buffalos handed out. Talked about how he carried on into his late 40s playing sports. Mostly softball.

I passed hes info along, but I think from a fubar it was lost. Hopefully I will run across him,sad thing is I can even remember his name.

Kenneth Barron is his name. Finally got his number back. Had to call a friend of a friend of a sister-n-laws friend to get it.

I passed it on to CP.

granger":327ue3r4 said:

embarrassed.gif
"intrepid 6 man gumshoe"
embarrassed.gif

When I coached at Novice, we had a banner hanging on the wall saying that our girls had been the basketball state champions. The date pre-dated the UIL sanctioned girls state championships. Who would know what league existed for girls before the UIL and if any records are available?

sinfonian":r0w1zoeq said:
When I coached at Novice, we had a banner hanging on the wall saying that our girls had been the basketball state champions. The date pre-dated the UIL sanctioned girls state championships. Who would know what league existed for girls before the UIL and if any records are available?

I don't know. I never knew that. remind me later and i'll look into it.

OK, it's been a while. lot of stuff went down this summer and fall and now I'm getting back into digging into old newspapers again this week. For those of you who did not know, I got laid off from Westinghouse nuclear on August 1st as part of the bankruptcy re-org. However, I saw it coming quite a while before and made arrangements and I had a job in hand when the layoff notices came out. Then, just as I was getting ready to get back into digging around, I decided to remodel the basement bedroom and long story short, and accident caused me to completely tear two tendons in my right shoulder rotator cuff and severely tear the biceps tendon. The surgeon said it looked like a bomb went off in my shoulder after the surgery was complete on Feb 13th.

Now I have lots of spare time until I get done with rehab in about 5 months, 'til then doctor's orders, NO HEAVY LIFTING!!.

I decided to get back into the old east Texas 6 man schools. I noticed the Archive now had the Liberty, Tx newspapers, so I started digging into Devers, China, Batson, Orangefield, High Island, Sabine Pass scores.

One little gem was the China Lions. They started football in District 17B 6 man in 1946 and won the district title their first year, only to lose to Sweeny in bi-district. In 1947 they swept to a perfect district record again and took the title on October 31st, but the next week allegations that they had an ineligible player surfaced the next week, and sure enough they did. It seems one Lion took prize money at a rodeo the previous summer, a big no-no for the UIL. China was stripped of their title, but since they did not know about the rodeo prize money, they did not have to forfeit their games. Winnie, High Island, Devers, Hamshire, and Orangefield were all tied for second place with 4-3 records, so the district committee did a lottery where all 5 schools names were put in a hat and a blindfolded guy drew a slip of paper for Orangefield, who proceeded on to the bi district game to get destroyed by Pearland.

Old Bearkat":3694lo0v said:
sinfonian":3694lo0v said:

I don't know. I never knew that. remind me later and i'll look into it.
There's a bunch of stuff here.
http://drbillywilbanks.com/basketball/
This is from the Intro:
INTRODUCTION A total of 704 boys and girls teams in Texas have won state high school championships from 1921-2012. There have been 377 boys teams (1921-2013) and 285 girls teams (1951-2013) crowned as state champions by the UIL since 1921. In additon, the "High School Girls Basketball League of Texas" (HSGBLT) named 17 state girls champions from 1939-1954 and the A.A.U. crowned 25 state champions in its state tournaments in 1925-1950. Information on all 704 of these championship teams is provided on this website.

I may have posted this before, but....

Six-Man Group
Meets Monday
Officiating of the past two weeks
and a rundown on the 1946 amendments
to the rules will be discussed
at Monday's meeting of the
Six-Man Football Coaches and Officials'
association, which, will be
held in the district court room of
the county court bourse.
The organization, who is designed
to improve the caliber of game
calling in West Texas six-man
ago and will meet ck-xe
circles, was formed two weeks ago
and will meet every other Monday
throughout the current season.
Principal speakers at Monday
night's session will be H. J. Hitt,
Ted Phillips and Chesney Mc-
Donald. Hltt will center his talk
on punting, klckoffs and the various
penalties resulting from rules
violations in the part of the game.
Phillips will confine his oration to
substitutions and times out while
McDonald will address the group
on passing.
Members of (the group are expected
here from Sterling City,
Forsan, Garden City, Mertzon,
Courtney, San Angelo, Union,
Knott and Coahoma.

From the Big Spring Daily Herald 9/29/1946

From the BS Herald in 1974

By CLARK LESHER
Gary Harrell, coach and principal has his hands full
at Grady High School. He's trying to put over a first year
football program which has had its share of "problems."

Last year, Grady took Flower Grove's 1B
basketball position. Flower Grove was consolidated with
Klondike. A brand new gymnasium was built in 1973.
This autumn. Grady took over the gridiron spot formerly
occupied by Cotton Center and which dropped
from the scene. Prior to last year, prep students from
Grady attended Stanton.

Grady, with Gary in charge, three years ago
started off enrollment as an elementary school.
"The main problem faced is getting enough students
out to field a team" Grady first had 14 report down to
the present 13, and competes in eight-man.
"Our boys have a real good outlook," Gary said. "They
do their jobs well, and realize the school is
somewhat at a disadvantage."

Grady, though winless in six games and without a
homefield. has showed steady improvement. A
stadium is to be completed before the 1975 season rolls
around. The playing field has been sodded to accommodate
workouts.

Grady has two games left on the 1974 calendar —
Whitharrel today and Southland. Nov. 8. Gary
thinks "we have a good chance to beat both of
them." Harrel thinks his team will be able to compete
with any eight-man football squad next fall.
Grady loses five seniors after completion of the 1974
gridiron sport. Two juniors and three sophomores will
return. An outstanding eighth grade football team
will boaster Grady's forces next year.

Grady's girls' basketball season starts Nov. 12.
Southland is the named opponent with the game
earmarked for the Grady gym. The boy's squad
initiate court action Nov. 15 at Fluvanna.
Grady travels to all football games by school
bus.

Back