6 man History

am pretty sure some panhandle teams played some Oklahoma teams in 8man games during the 1980s (Higgins being one of them.
Its funny you mentioned this, there was A column in 1978, I guy had wrote in wanting to know what eight-man teams were left in the panhandle area and the column writer said none:) and talked about Oklahoma.

CT6MFL":35coezvz said:
So 1958 was the first year where teams with enrollement less than 100 could choose between 6 or 8 man. What district was the experimental district in 1957?:)
Pflugerville, Hutto, Prairie Lea, Smiley, Kyle, and Manor

Leman Saunders":21yxl2ag said:
1975 8-Man All-Star Game @Brownwood:
West 19
East 6

I am pretty sure some panhandle teams played some Oklahoma teams in 8man games during the 1980s (Higgins being one of them)

The Drifter can tell you all about Higgins......

Leman Saunders":1luxmn30 said:
Liberty Hill played Dripping Springs Nov 18 1956 in an 8man game

They agreed to play 8 man that night because Liberty Hill did not have enough boys to field an 11 man team, I think they only had 10 healthy kids.

I was told a story once...and it may have been the Drifter who told me not sure...that Oklahoma had a rule went something like this...that if you left HS early to go into the military, once your service was over you could come back to HS and were eligible for sports still...and a Texas team went up to play an Oklahoma team and they had a man who had just gotten out of the Marines playing for them...

Not sure about that but they did not have a cut off number (I do not think) and you could have as many kids in high school as you wanted and still play 8 man. Some we played sure had a bunch of folks. We had 8, so did not go too well. The military thing, have no idea.

I remember seeing a picture on this site several years ago that had a team lined up with the center and the quarterback rear to rear. Does anyone still have that photo?

I have a few pictures of that and a magazine article about the offensive formation from a 1940s magazine. Grady ran that in the 1970s under Richard Gibson...other schools called it "the Grady Bump"

Im not good at reducing the size of pictures so I will just forward them to OBK...The pictures I have are of Boy's Latin HS in Baltimore MD from the mid 1940s. Same picture appeared in two different publications:

Six-Man Football Magazine Fall 1947 Vol. 1 No. 2

Play Six-Man Football (unknown publication year but from the content inside it was either 1947 or 1948) - this was a small 16 pamphlet on how and why you should play six-man football. By Ray O Duncan who was the state director of physical education and a big six-man advocate out of Illinois.

Grady had a center that year that did not get moved or have the snap disrupted. We called the formation a less flattering name than the Grady bump, but in deference to dogface, I won't mention exactly what we called it.

Found a new score...1940 Gruver beat Goodwell, OK 38-0...thing is Gruver was playing six-man but Im not sure if Goodwell was? Guessing it was a six-man game as the article was titled "Gruver Sextet Beats Goodwell" and the article talks about how great a six-man team Gruver has...

Anyway...still looking for panhandle teams games against Kansas teams...

The stuff Leman got was a whole offensive scheme based around the butt hike.

Attachments

• Butt Snap-Six-Man Magazine_0001.jpg
    180.8 KB · Views: 1,359
The son of one of the guys who played on the Garden City 1955 regional champion team put together a bunch of old 8mm movies of games played that season. GC used this formation Quite a bit that year.

Back