6 man History

sinfonian":308hjssu said:
I remember seeing a picture on this site several years ago that had a team lined up with the center and the quarterback rear to rear. Does anyone still have that photo?

It was in the old history thread that got hacked a few years ago....

Yeah, a ton of my old posts disappeared. Including an article I wrote for the Twin Cities News about Rochester's school consolidation that I no longer have.

sinfonian":ysh77h0x said:
Yeah, a ton of my old posts disappeared. Including an article I wrote for the Twin Cities News about Rochester's school consolidation that I no longer have.

What was the date for your article? There is a small town newspaper site that has the Twin Cities News archived fir the years 1981-1984, 1986-1989, 1990, 1992, and 2004.

In the 9/30/1971 edition of the Comanche Chief, on page 8, was a small article about a book on the history of Sidney football written by William S. Caffey, then of Abernathy. The book was titled "The Sidney Community, Vol 1: A football Score Sheet, 1940-1970."

Any of you Sidney denizens with access to the school library can look and see if your school library or the Comanche County library has a copy of this book. It will have a lot of data to fill in the missing gaps in the early years of the school football history.

Ah, then you have a copy available then. I've been digging through the Chief in the Archive the last month and for a local paper, they sure ignored the rest of the county schools teams, even DeLeon. I was hoping he had some of the WW2 gaps filled......

I sent what Stewart had to Lone Star Football several years ago. I was on a tear to bring all of Sidney's scores up to date, but found that only about 1 out of 4 or 5 yearbooks had scores in them. Slowed me down to a stall pretty fast!

I've been finding more missing Gustine/Comyn/Sipe Springs scores in the Chief than Sidney.

Most likely becuase its in Comanche, which is the County seat:) I have found that most things of old start where the county seat is.

Just like Gatesville is for Coryell County.

:)

I wonder what current resident would say if you clipped that out and mailed a dollar to the address and requested a copy?

I bet it would be worth the 1.50$ you would spend:)

I did do a search on Chaparral press abernathy texas and have come to the conclussion that Caffey owned or worked there. You will see alot of publications by him on the Caffey Clan, Stewart Clan and other subjects. Just not that partcular one.

I bet someone in lubbock\Hale county has a copy of it...

The ones in the archive won't have any Comyn scores. it starts in 1954. Comyn stopped playing football long before that, and I think they consolidated with Deleon in 1952 or so....

Old Bearkat":12fdq595 said:
The son of one of the guys who played on the Garden City 1955 regional champion team put together a bunch of old 8mm movies of games played that season. GC used this formation Quite a bit that year.
Just wondered who the son was. I left GC the year before but knew and played with all those guys

Back