6 man History

Picture of the 1968 Regional Champion Strawn Greyhounds. Only undefeated team in school history and played only ten games because no one really wanted to play us that year.

Attachments

• 1968 Strawn Greyhound Champs.JPG
    239.4 KB · Views: 1,507
Victor, the leader of the 1969 team, younger brother of Marty Salazar, another great quarterback and role model. In addition former players Bryan Eubanks and Joe Don Gibson keep us grounded and motivated.

Attachments

• Victor Salazar 6 man Football 1969.jpg
    217.1 KB · Views: 1,503
Oneday, Thanks for the advice but these articles came from clippings over 40 years ago. Documentation is a wonderful thing, several of the clippings came from the Strawn Reporter News. which itself had a short life and at least one from the Abilene paper. Life is good.

I spent a year one Friday night in Strawn playing against that 1969 Greyhound bunch. They were a many fine ball club. They beat my Raiders that night 38-18. That one is as fresh in my mind as if it was yesterday.

Don Hardin
Abilene now
Lueders-Avoca then

Don, We caught the breaks that night and Lueders caught the injuries. Glad we didn't have to meet Lueders again in the playoffs that year. Marathon and Cherokee were real tough that year. We still need to get together at Mary's Cafe sometime with as many of our teammates we can find and replay the game over a good chicken fried steak. Larry

1969 Cherokee Team with roster...this should go well with the Strawn picture...now Don needs to upload a Lueders-Avoca 1969 Picture!

Attachments

• 1969 Cherokee.jpg
    77.8 KB · Views: 6,132
bulldawgs":3cjd5aml said:
I like the ad for the funeral home / ambulance service. Not too sure I would feel comfortable calling them for an ambulance ride...

Back in the day, funeral director/ambulance service combos were common. When I was growing up, the local fire department's ambulance was nothing more than a re-purposed 1960s Ford Hearse.

lifegatesports":3tpppqx1 said:
bulldawgs":3tpppqx1 said:
I like the ad for the funeral home / ambulance service. Not too sure I would feel comfortable calling them for an ambulance ride...

Back in the day, funeral director/ambulance service combos were common. When I was growing up, the local fire department's ambulance was nothing more than a re-purposed 1960s Ford Hearse.
They had cars when you were young? I thought you were older than that...

oneday":1l8vxt2a said:
1969 Cherokee Team with roster...this should go well with the Strawn picture...now Don needs to upload a Lueders-Avoca 1969 Picture!

Hey! My mom was valedictorian at Lueders-Avoca. Who's "Don?"

TexDoc

Don Hardin...the one and only...there is a movie coming out about him next weekend I think...it's called "Something...Something...The Great and Powerful"

Someone needs to mention that Cherokee had to forfeit all 12 games in 1969 for having an ineligible player on their team and placed on probation for the following season as well. Strawn has the 1969 Regional Championship trophy as a result of Cherokee's forfeiture. Check it out on Lone Star Football Network for the 1969 season. Cherokee none the less has had tremendous success since then, winning three state championships.

I believe that has been mentioned several times on this board before (I think in this post and in a few others)...I was going to post it but I thought I'd stir the pot a little and let a Strawn person bring it up...it worked! lol!

That scan is straight from a book

I was going to add to the post..."Bonus points to the the first person to point out the ineligible player"

The same went for the Bi-District trophy I believe...which would be awarded to Novice...

Back