6 man History

oneday":1cehrd0o said:
I believe that has been mentioned several times on this board before (I think in this post and in a few others)...I was going to post it but I thought I'd stir the pot a little and let a Strawn person bring it up...it worked! lol!

That scan is straight from a book

I was going to add to the post..."Bonus points to the the first person to point out the ineligible player"

The same went for the Bi-District trophy I believe...which would be awarded to Novice...

I need to remember to get in there and change the scores for Cherokee to reflect the forfeits.

oneday":1rulglii said:
I believe that has been mentioned several times on this board before (I think in this post and in a few others)...I was going to post it but I thought I'd stir the pot a little and let a Strawn person bring it up...it worked! lol!

That scan is straight from a book

I was going to add to the post..."Bonus points to the the first person to point out the ineligible player"

The same went for the Bi-District trophy I believe...which would be awarded to Novice...

Oneday, it has been a long time ago, but the two San Saba players had to have been ineligible. Just keep a tally of my bonus points until I need to collect.

Ellis and Sanderson is what we heard at that time. In the Cherokee and Sidney game that year, someones forearm found its way inside my helmut. Just a slightly broken nose. Carry a small crook to this day. If we had the same rules about blood then that we have now I would have been done for the day. Had blood splattered down the front of my jersey and down the front of my white pants to my knees. Missed for sure one play and maybe two.

Our trophy is a football mounted on a wooden pedestal with the engraved name plate with championship description and the names of the players. In the the Cherokee picture the trophy looks like a player on top not a football. that picture might have been taken after their district or bidistrict game.

OBK - Lometa was in a Six-Man District in 1940, 41, and 42.

TXLH75 - I have the '69 Bi-District game of Cherokee v Novice on film and it has the post game awarding of the trophy...I will look and see if that is so...I do not know which District game clinched the District Title (District 6 - Cherokee, Gustine, May, Mullin, Pottsville, Sidney, Star)

CT6MFL - Very nice map...any luck on Ireland Football??? School colors and mascot???

By the way...In 1969 there were 3 Regions in Six-Man Football. Region I had 4 districts, Region II had 4 districts, and Region III had only 2 districts. So the Region 3 Bi-District Game was also the Regional Championship game...Aquilla 46 Oglesby 0.

A total of 57 six-man teams in UIL districts.

(38 eight-man teams in 8 Districts/3 Regions in the UIL...District 10 in Region III had 2 teams, Comstock and La Pryor)

Well I found 3 articles on Ireland that had their mascot. 2 of them referenced them as "The Cardinals" and one referenced them as "The Fighting Irish". I would bet they were the Cardinals and the Fighting Irish was a nick name. I found no mention of colors.

The Gatesville Messenger and Star Forum merged in 1909 an it was a weekly paper back then, they didint have a distinct sports section until 1949. It went bi-weekly sometime in the late 70s. Scores and Articles were sparatic from week to week. I sent everything I had to OBK and Cowboy to decipher, haha. Ill let them post them....

To really pull everything from those papers would take a couple of days. The old papers were truely a site to see.

Next stop Cameron over in Miliam County. Ill probably hit it up sometime in April.

oneday":3vm2j412 said:
Johnny South - Which guy(s) were they?

OBK - are you keeping the game scores up? How would you change it on lonestar?

I would change the score to 2-0 and note what the real score was and the reason for the forfeit.

Back