6 man History

Old Bearkat":s8n0wfyc said:
From an article in the 9/20/1938 San Antonio Express, a 6 man football league was formed with the following schools:

Driscoll
Agua Dulce
Orange Grove
Chapman Ranch
Flour Bluff

Of these 5 schools, Agua Dulce, Orange Grove and Flour Bluff are still in business.

Driscoll still operates a PK-8 district; they and the Santa Gertudis district jointly operate Kingsville Academy HS on a piece of dirt otherwise known as the King Ranch. Used to drive through there a lot when I had customers in Corpus and Kingsville.

What used to be Chapman Ranch is now the London ISD, which has operated as a PK-8 district until a couple years ago when they started a high school; they play crowded field football ... not sure when they will go full UIL as I think they're adding a year each year.

Let me help you out there OBK...this is what the UIL Official Six-Man list of districts for 1942 has for the district Champs:

1942 District Champs:
1. District did not play
2. Valley View
3. No winner reported
4. District did not play
5. Klondike
6. No winner reported
7. No winner reported
8. District did not play
9. No winner reported
10. Copperas Cove
11. District did not play
12. Savoy
13. Union Ridge
14. District did not play
15. No winner reported
16. District did not play
17. Cold Springs
18. League City
19. No district winner reported
20. Louise
21. No champion due this district, account no eligibility blanks (Blessing would have won it)
22. District did not play
23. No winner reported
24. Prairie Lea
25. Yancey
26. Christine
27. No winner reported
28. No winner reported

*No bi-district games were reported the 1942 season

Also the UIL official lists says that in 1941 District 13 "withdrew from race"...in the official paperwork a line is drawn through the names of the schools in that district...the teams were Bullard, Chandler, Dixie, Winona

1941 was also the first year of UIL six-man playoffs with just one round, Bi-District Championship, being played

Districts 7 and 8 did play. I took that from an article in the Abilene paper. I tried to find the bi-district game for Trent and Divide, but it did not get reported. It was just an announcement they were going to play soon.

Old Bearkat":168umdoi said:
Districts 7 and 8 did play. I took that from an article in the Abilene paper. I tried to find the bi-district game for Trent and Dowell, but it did not get reported. It was just an announcement they were going to play soon.

I knew that District 7 played for sure...the UIL paper work just said that they didn't report a winner to them...I have a Nolan County News article about District 7 forming.

I don't know why District 8 would report that they didn't play at all. District 8 would have included Bradshaw, Lawn, Ovalo, Trent, Tuscola, Wylie...the list has a circle around the district with a note reading "dist did not play"

It is also wierd that you have Dowell winning distirct 7 in 1942, the UIL official list has these teams in Distrct 7: Blackwell, Divide, McCaulley, Pyron, Sylvester. The Sweetwater Reporter article about District 7 forming "teams in district 7 Blackwell and Divide, Nolan county; Pyron, Scurry county; McCaulley and Sylvester, Fisher county. Dowell and Hobbs of Fisher county were in the league last season but suspended six-man football this year."

You typed Dowell as the winner in the list and then said Divide was the winner for 1942 in your last post??

Leman Saunders":13ppa7qe said:
I knew that District 7 played for sure...the UIL paper work just said that they didn't report a winner to them...I have a Nolan County News article about District 7 forming.

I don't know why District 8 would report that they didn't play at all. District 8 would have included Bradshaw, Lawn, Ovalo, Trent, Tuscola, Wylie...the list has a circle around the district with a note reading "dist did not play"

It is also wierd that you have Dowell winning distirct 7 in 1942, the UIL official list has these teams in Distrct 7: Blackwell, Divide, McCaulley, Pyron, Sylvester. The Sweetwater Reporter article about District 7 forming "teams in district 7 Blackwell and Divide, Nolan county; Pyron, Scurry county; McCaulley and Sylvester, Fisher county. Dowell and Hobbs of Fisher county were in the league last season but suspended six-man football this year."

You typed Dowell as the winner in the list and then said Divide was the winner for 1942 in your last post??

errorerrorerror

It was Trent and Dowell

Leman Saunders":1s1z6uks said:
There are no scores for Trent, Ovalo, Bradshaw, Lawn, Wylie or Tuscola in lonesatrfootball.net for 1942...

I know. I'm gonna hit the Abilene paper had tonight and see what I can shake out.....

Back