6 man History

Enjoyed the Buena Vista picture ... some six-man trivia ... the old bleachers that used to be in the old Buena Vista gym have been in the Seguin Lifegate Christian gym since 2001 ... we bought them from the school for $1000. Somewhere, I got a picture of the bleachers full of fans for a basketball game the next year (probably close to 500 people, my guess is that the Guadalupe Co. fire marshall was on vacation that day).

I never was so hot, dirty and in need of a shower those two days of my life when we dissembled the bleachers and carried them out of the small mezzanie where they were stored.

I remember some old geezer walking by and asking us "boys" (most of us men in our 40s and 50s, by the way) what we were doing. I told him we had bought the old bleachers in the gym and he said he remembered sitting on them "when I was a little boy."

They are still doing well in their new home. Once in awhile, we need to spray a little WD40 to get them to push back, but then again, this old geezer needs the same, too ...

1977 Lefors, they were not 6 man this year, but they were coached by a guy who is well known on this board...... :)

Attachments

• 1977 Lefors.webp
    1977 Lefors.webp
    35.8 KB · Views: 6,749
  • 1977 Lefors 1.webp
    1977 Lefors 1.webp
    28.1 KB · Views: 6,749
1958 Harrold

Attachments

• 1958 Harrold.webp
    1958 Harrold.webp
    35 KB · Views: 6,749
  • 1958 Harrold 1.webp
    1958 Harrold 1.webp
    29.9 KB · Views: 6,749
  • 1958 Harrold 2.webp
    1958 Harrold 2.webp
    31.6 KB · Views: 6,749
Old Bearkat":272hycch said:
Note the schools participating in this district. One was Brownsville St. Joseph, which still plays football. The UIL did let some small parochial schools participate in 6 man districts if they wanted to and had a good reason. Price Memorial Catholic played in a UIL district with Groom, Booker, Darrouzett, Kelton, and Alanreed that year too. The UIL changed the next year and did not allow parochials to be in UIL districts.

Did a little checking ... Price Memorial Catholic School is now what is known as Amarillo Holy Cross Catholic School, a TAPPS school.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holy_Cross ... llo,_Texas)

Also, found a little history on St. Mary's Catholic School in Fredericksburg, which played six-man in the past as a high school (1924 to 1975; since then, elementary only and no football). Nothing in their history about any championships specifically in six-man. Perhaps some histories of the Texas Catholic Interscholatic League (TCIL, which closed down in the late 80s) could shed some light on this.

http://school.stmarysfbg.com/about-us/history.cfm

1957 Guthrie. Their last year in 6 man until 1974.

Attachments

• 1957 Guthrie.webp
    1957 Guthrie.webp
    36.8 KB · Views: 5,413
  • 1957 Guthrie 1.webp
    1957 Guthrie 1.webp
    26 KB · Views: 5,413
Back