Why is Richland Springs successful?

Caveman

11-man fan
I am normally on the private school board. One of the big games this weekend has private school Austin Hill Country playing at Richland Springs. Don't know aything about Richland Springs, other than they have a high power ranking and win state a lot. What accounts for their success?

Thanks.

Richland Springs is successful because of good coaching and good athletes. Next May I invite you to go to the Heart of Texas Coaching Clinic and watch one of their practices. It's pretty impressive. As for the 1800-Goob, Goob is an actual person on this site...who knows everything Richland Springs. Don't think he was calling you a Goob.

techster2000":2j0pc15i said:
Richland Springs is successful because of good coaching and good athletes. Next May I invite you to go to the Heart of Texas Coaching Clinic and watch one of their practices. It's pretty impressive. As for the 1800-Goob, Goob is an actual person on this site...who knows everything Richland Springs. Don't think he was calling you a Goob.

Agreed. I really doubt there is something special about the gene pool (Example: Goob, who we still love as a brother in Christ) or the water supply in Richland Springs. Sure, maybe they have better athletes, but maybe it's because they work hard at it. Amazing what that does. Helps to have a community supporting your program, but we can find that lots of places.

And tech is right -- their coaches continue to learn the game and teach it -- it amazes me to see schools and coaches who think they know it all and don't attend clinics to learn more. How come when I go to clinics, I see guys who have been coaching for 30-40 years and the guys who have been coaching for 5 aren't there? Ain't like these things cost a thousand bucks and you're one of five hundred guys in a big hotel ballroom. You're gonna spend $50 or $60 to register (and get a decent meal out of it), maybe a few bucks on gas and if you wanna go big time, spend a few more to stay at the Ritz Carlton Richland Springs (or reasonable facsimile thereof) -- and if you're smart, you bring along another coach and split some of that. You'll get to spend some quality time with some successful coaches ... and as I've seen (and been told) -- in crowded field ball, you might get about 80% of what makes Coach Big Time's system work. But the sixman coaches will tell you the whole thing -- as I heard Coach Parham tell our clinic last June, you want my playbook, call me, I'll send you the whole thing.

Okay. I'm off my soapbox.

Wouldnt call Goop an expert on Richland. Ive been told hes not actually "from" Richland...maybe you should ask some of the folks that was raised in Richland. Grew up in Richland....been apart of the football experience there. I know a couple people from there and my impression on the success of Richland Springs is that you have a community, school, coaches, parents, and students that always expect to be the best, when you have that then its hard not to succeed...I believe it was that way even back when they werent winning championships...its an attitude...a way of life.

pretty sure i wasnt told wrong....didnt grow up there, just a transplant. I know people that work at the school. but doesnt really matter not gonna argue with you.

It is hard to win a state championship!

With an administration that completely supports the success of the students in any endeavor is most important. That comes about with a community that is concerned and supportive of students in all avenues of competition, whether it be academic or athletic.

Now along with all this comes a coaching staff that is not only totally and completely dedicated to a successful program, but totally knowledgable and always willing to go the extra mile with the students in any and every way imaginable, and who don't mind spending the long days and nights necessary to cover all the ground needed and necessary for success. (coaches wives play a big part in this)
Next,there would be no championship without at least six young men who are willing to dedicate themselves to being the best that they can be, who are willing to sacrifice, and to be totally coachable.

From my outside observations and what little I know about people, this is a fairly unique situation at Richland Springs. Just how long can it last? All I know is that it has lasted far longer than most expected.

Thanks, appreciate the insight. Sorry smokeyjoe, just thought you were playing with me, which would have been fine as sometimes that's half the fun of being on this site. I will try to make it to the game as it sounds like RIchland has created quite a culture, one that you would think all schools/communities would try to emulate.

A culture of success.
That pretty much explains in in RS.
EVERYONE I mean EVERYONE
out there has their head on straight!!
There are no "me" players, Mommies/Daddies
or scool board pres./members.

Yes, most ISD's
could stand to learn a thing or two
from the RS culture.

I have to stop cuz I'm
starting to get upset at the schools
that don't.

I agree with all that is said above and to recap: It takes a community all rowing in the same direction and when success in not in place to lubricate the cogs of the system, a total community that will stand w/ a team/school in the hard times. I have seen in other communities that have had success, the newbies and those that have not had to sacrifice to start to become disinterested and complacent in the HARD work it takes to be successful. RS (as seen from an some what outsider) in stills the hard work and sacrifice each and every year in these young men. Once that is the norm then a community will buy into the sacrifice and will help with the process with encouragement and prompting at those critically moments. Its consistency with attitude from the community, school, and players.
It does not take much from a school board member and a whiny parent that little Johnny/Susie in another extracurricular activity is not getting the same attention/money spent on the successful athletic sport. Have seen it multiple times. The community becomes fractured and start rowing in different directions to ruin a great nation.. (oops, did that slip out) I meant community. Its when we start looking at ourselves selfishly and not to the good of the community/school/team that eventually tears down a program. That is what RS has avoided.
I am convinced that there are a lot more coaches in the ranks that could have extremely successful programs IF a community will completely buy into the program that a coach is trying to teach/create/form etc. in a team/school/community. (And its not the liberal concept of a Village raising a child. Its a community working together to create a greater sum of the parts they have).

Well said HisTeam. BTW I don't think that the "it takes a village" concept is a liberal one. The concept has been around a lot longer than modern day political parties. I prefer to call it responsibility.

Tounge in cheek.......RS won it's 1st State Championship in 04 (coincidentally ? Coach Burkhart's 1st yr as HC) then back to back in 06/07. This was known by many as the "TE" era. They did have a "star", one of the most talented and prolific players in 6M history from what I've read and seen (very little of). Also from what I've read, primarily on here, Coach "Burkie" and TE's Daddy (a coach) would be the 1st to tell you he wouldn't have been quite as outstanding as he was without a team of hard working, dedicated, well trained team mates. Looking at lonestarfootball.net (there ya go Don) the foundation was laid in the late 90's / early 2000's by Coaches Mosley & Clawson, not a loosing seaason since 96. While their record's go back to the early 1920's they had up & down years, e.g 1954 - 11/1, 61 - 0/10, 65 - 9/1. I don't know when they started 6M (Goob?). I consider last year and probably this years state championship(s) as validation of Coach Burkhart's "system" which he could not have implemented or pursued without the support of the community and administration though I'm no Guru, Coach, or even a 6M former player. I've only been to/through RS once.

Good players, good coaches, good admin, good community, good parents.... "Success perpetuates success!"

I have known Coach Burkhart for about 100 years now. He has always worked hard and expected much from his kids. That will never stop. That has been bred into him.

Congrats to RS and "Keep on Keeping on!"

Back