Who else could win division II?

Cowboy22":2oca9ieo said:
Back in 2006 state semi final. Seguin vs glenview. One of seguin's coaches or parents said to the radio announcer " when we win I what you to say...... Blah blah blah." glenview didn't know till halftime when one of thief coaches was in the press box and told us that. We were furious and we were already beating them. What happens oh yeah glenview forty five them after half on a hook n ladder. Score 46-0. Seguin I think it's karma for being cocky before the game. Y'all have had great/good teams the past 4 5 years? Anything can happen in sixman football heck anything van happen in 11man don't underestimate a team. And on cheap shots you teach the kids to play till the wistle after the wistle blows you stop if the kid is still going then that's all on him. The coach should be furious about the cheap shot, because if you want to win with class you the coach that's your responsiblity to show them how. On the other had you still have brenham and they only lost two seniors I believe from last year state runner up, they have the upper hand but hey anything can happen, respect every team you play even if you are favored by 45.

Good luck seguin and every team on the road to state!

Okay. I probably was that "coach or parent." Let's fill you in on a couple things. "Cocky" was not my goal. Confident, yes; Cocky no.

1. I was AD at Lifegate at the time. I didn't know what the outcome of the game would be beforehand; although I knew it was going to be a tough game to win (we were disappointed at our poor performance; perhaps more determined by how solid Glenview was that year). I had folks asking me the week before the game what would happen if we won. I did share that information with the radio announcer that day and it was "super secret," only if we won. It was basically the information on the state game. Hey, we were in the semis, we had as much a chance to go to the finals as anyone. Probably the Glenview guy who was the announcer may have heard or saw the information. Whoopdee do.

2. As AD, I usually thought one game ahead in the playoffs. I HATE dealing with opponents the day or two after a playoff game, especially in football -- and in private schools where trying to find somebody on Saturday or Sunday is nearly impossible. I like to tell my folks that if we win, here's where we will go next week. What usually happens is we talk to the teams we might play the next week and set up "what if we both win," where will we play, who will officiate, etc. Then, if we win, I can tell fans right then and there at the game that we'll play East Bugtussle Christian at Temple Acme Prep's field the next Friday at 7 pm.

Pal, if you've been in this business any length of time, you know people will ask you the moment the game ends (if not before), "where are we playing next week." "I dunno" is not an acceptable answer and insures that you will be bothered every ten minutes the rest of the week with those same questions. As opposed to being bothered every 30 minutes, but atleast you can get something done in the meantime between calls.

3. I actually had a SEALED large envelope that night of flyers ... information on where the team was going to stay the night before the state finals, ticket information, etc. ready to distribute if we had won to parents and fans. I gave it to a trusted parent with the instructions to only open it if we won. Sadly, I got a sealed envelope back when the game ended. And I think I tossed it in a trash can at Calvert that night. In fact, I remember we were booked at the LaQuinta on the south side of Temple. But I remember a buckets coach friend of mine who told his team every year at the start of the season and would show them his reservations for the team at a hotel for the weekend of the state championships, so I sure wasn't the first guy to do that...

Oh, and how many coaches tell their kids they have no chance to win a game before they play it....

history aside (by the way i had no affiliation with lifegate what so ever four years ago).. Do we come off as cocky? i think if we were cocky we would be blowing our own horn a little bit on here... we hear every week about tyler street and brenham and this and that and all we ever say is "lets play the game"... no matter who we play.. ask the boerne coach... we walk on the field and respect every team no matter what their record is... which by the way they were a very good team.. you can hate on my team as much as you want but please don't talk about our character especially when you get your information second hand... you just look foolish to people who know us and how we actually are... seems to me your coach heard our AD talking about information on the next game in case we win... then went and lied to you guys to tick you off a little more... you should be mad at him... not me

I could tell you a little story about disrespect.

There was an instance where I contacted a future possible playoff opponent about where we would play if we won.

Coach at the other school told me that he didn't think we had a chance against them; I objected -- we weren't exactly chopped liver either, at the time.

Anyway, we couldn't come to an agreement where we would play and decided to wait until after the games to determine the next round. We did lose that game and I called the coach to tell him that he would be playing the other team. He asked me our score and I told him. He seemed suprised that it was that close.

Next thing he asks, can I have the game film. I mentioned he could get the film from the winning team and he tells me, oh, I've already done my film exchange with them.

Needless to say, he did not get our film.

Hey fellows ,why not trying to to s m i l e when your wrting these post. p o k e a little fun....(.easy on verezy" (don't want him going all postal/linebacker on us :)..... ) you want to get mad....go turn on the news. I bet if our country were attacked by a foreign power (or" homeland security") , there 's not a guy on here you wouldn't be glad to have in your fox hole. We only get this certain joy once a year. smile now ' cause next year we might be in a fox hole

i obviously forgot to close my sign in on robt's computer... haha that last post is from him... NOOT ME... and i do seem to remember that lifegatesports....

and one more thing cowboy... nothing is more annoying than people that post twice and its just stupid trash talk... do yourself a favor and stick to reading only... u can post occasionally but only with your mom's permission... welcome to double probation... :lol:

Meant to post this earlier in the week:

http://www.seguingazette.com/story.lass ... 13000efc2c

Falcons win big again, walloping Geneva 78-32

From staff reports
The Seguin Gazette-Enterprise
Published October 10, 2010

BOERNE — An afternoon trip to Boerne turned out to be a well-earned victory for Lifegate on Friday, with the Falcons defeating the Geneva School of Boerne 78-32 in TAPPS District 3 Division II play.

The script started normally, with the Falcons making a defensive stop and senior Matt Akin scoring on the second play from scrimmage — a 32-yard run that gave Lifegate an early 7-0 lead.

After another stop, Akin added a 19-yard jaunt to the end zone to stake the Falcons to a 13-0 advantage.

The defense then did its job once again, and when the Falcon offense took the field, senior Caleb Tate found pay dirt from five yards away to put Lifegate up 20-0 late in the first period.

In six-man football, however, scores can come fast and furious, and the last minute of the first stanza and the majority of the second quarter proved that notion to be true.

Geneva put its first points on the board with 47 seconds left in the opening period on a 24-yard pass from Christian Lipe to Brad Blackburn to cut the lead to 20-6.

Eighteen seconds plater, Caleb Tate responded for the Falcons with a 50-yard touchdown run.

With six seconds left in the period, David Winston — the Eagles’ leading receiver — snatched a pass from E.J. Harpole and went 44 yards as Geneva trimmed the lead to 26-14.

The second quarter kept the scorekeeper’s fingers active as well. Less than a minute into the period, Akin tallied a 14-yard score — his third of five touchdowns for the night — to extend the lead to 32-14.

Geneva responded within a minute with a 10-yard pass from Harpole to Nathan Evans to cut the Falcon lead back to 12. Twenty-two seconds later, Tate headed right back down the left sideline for a 65-yard run.

Blackburn then caught another scoring strike from Harple, this time from five yards away to cut the lead back to 12, but it wasn’t for long, as Tate returned the kickoff 50 yards to the end zone to rebuild Lifegate’s three-score lead.

Back-and-forth scoring continued, as Winston found himself on the receiving end of Harpole’s fourth touchdown pass, going 55 yards to trim the Falcon lead back to 12 at 44-32 with 6:09 left in the second period.

Just when it appeared that a tennis match had officially broken out, the Falcon defense began to stiffen following a 44-yard scoring run from Akin and a successful point after that increased Lifegate’s advantage to 51-32.

Tate added another pair of scores before halftime — a 34-yard run with 1:38 left and a 27-yard interception return with 40 seconds remaining — to allow the Falcons to extend their lead to 65-32.

Geneva threatened as the half concluded, but another interception — this time by senior Kolton Coffman — gave Lifegate the ball at its own one-yard line with a just few ticks remaining on the clock.

In what will remain as the longest run from scrimmage in Falcon football history, Akin rambled 79 yards to the end zone as time expired to give Lifegate a 72-32 edge at the break.

Lifegate received the second half kick, and due to the setting sun, both teams agreed to use a running clock for the remainder of the game.

But the Falcons only needed one drive to finish the contest due to the 45-point mercy rule, with Tate scoring at the 6:43 mark.

The victory was the 50th for the Lifegate football program and head coach John Rabon, who recognized a solid effort by his Falcons after the contest.

“We played pretty good defense against a strong team,” Rabon said. “As in past games, we made the adjustments to take away their strengths.”

“Offensively, we’re playing very good football. We need to work on our kicking game because converting on extra points will be crucial in the playoffs.”

With the blowout win, Lifegate improved to 7-0 on the season and 3-0 in district due to an announcement made this week by San Antonio New Life Christian. New Life stated that it will be unable to complete its 2010 season, so under TAPPS rules, New Life’s forfeit to Lifegate on Sept. 17 does not count as a district game. As such, the district schedule will now only consist of six games instead of seven.

Next up for the Falcons will be a trip to San Antonio to take on The Atonement Academy Friday at 5 p.m.. Atonement is currently 0-3 on the season, its first in six-man football.

Copyright © 2010 The Gazette-Enterprise

7thman67":3da96mte said:
veezy,

im not sure where you get your information but i saw these two play last year and it was a great game that the score didnt represent at all. could have gone either way. so to predict a 45 either way is a little much. i will go back to a few posts ago about credibility. all you talk about is tyler street. unless i went to the wrong game and saw another team called tyler street get drug facemask first off of that field, you all dont belong in this conversation. you might get to state but there is no trophy going to the north in division 2.

im still on a toss up on which game to watch this weekend. what do you all think will be game of the week?

I'm with you - Brenham/Lifegate matchup should be pretty even - Brenham only lost 2 seniors from last year's team - not sure how many Lifegate lost. But the game last year was a real nail biter - they slugged it out in the mud! However Brenham also has a really deep bench - really deep.

That was a great write up on the Geneva/Lifegate game. It was very exciting for a while, but our inexperience on defense ultimately put us at much too big a disadvantage. The game could have lasted a bit longer though. What the writer of the article probably did not know was that we lost our starting QB to injury the Wednesday before this Friday game. He had 1200+ yards passing and 21 TDs through 6 games. That's tough to make up in a day, especially against Lifegate. I am very excited about the future of football at Geneva.

GSB":3hyl11ji said:
That was a great write up on the Geneva/Lifegate game. It was very exciting for a while, but our inexperience on defense ultimately put us at much too big a disadvantage. The game could have lasted a bit longer though. What the writer of the article probably did not know was that we lost our starting QB to injury the Wednesday before this Friday game. He had 1200+ yards passing and 21 TDs through 6 games. That's tough to make up in a day, especially against Lifegate. I am very excited about the future of football at Geneva.

Since I wrote most of the story (the sports editor does a good job of fixing my mangled grammar and spicing it up a bit), thanks.

Guess we need to institute a district "injury report" like the NFL ... didn't know about the hurt qb, I did notice a kid on the sidelines in a sling ... maybe you need to have easier practices ...

Was a good game ...

Box Dad":3vbu1j3s said:
So that means only one team in in District 3 doesn't make it. So in total 5 teams don't go to the playoffs?

You got it, Pop. And one of those five has already been determined -- SA New Life cancelled their season. Basically, the last place team in each district doesn't go to the playoffs.

Someone asked if all the teams in Dist 3 were tied 1-1, what would happen? I hope they have decent tiebreakers in place.

TAPPS wants 16 team brackets in football and 32 in volleyball/basketball.

Quick question... If Brenham and seguin were to play each other in the semi final.. where would the possible location of the game be?

lifegatesports":jceo9nfz said:
Since I wrote most of the story (the sports editor does a good job of fixing my mangled grammar and spicing it up a bit), thanks.

Guess we need to institute a district "injury report" like the NFL ... didn't know about the hurt qb, I did notice a kid on the sidelines in a sling ... maybe you need to have easier practices ...

Was a good game ...
Since I'm here, Sounds like this game was lacking defense. Just what I gather from the score and the write up.

Box Dad":3kli2ol2 said:
lifegatesports":3kli2ol2 said:

Was a good game ...
Since I'm here, Sounds like this game was lacking defense. Just what I gather from the score and the write up.

When there's 110 points scored in something over 23 minutes of clock time, there ain't a lot of space left for talking about defense.

As for where Lifegate/Brenham would be this year ... well first, let's get that far.

But I agree, as a semifinal game it probably should be a neutral site. I got ideas but that's still a ways away.

FYI, here's how it got to Lifegate last year. Matt and we agreed that the obvious neutral sites: Bellville or Prairie Lea were basically each about 20 miles away from one of the teams. Pick either and it's basically a home game for somebody.

Anything else, and you're talking serious money in field rentals. So we made this deal. After our first round games, we'd do a coin flip (in Brenham, one of our scouts was there). Winner gets home field, losing team arranges to bring officials from their chapter (the refs came from College Station). And after the game, each school made about $300-400 from gate reciepts instead of paying it to another school for rental.

Veezy32":277pz1m2 said:
Quick question... If Brenham and seguin were to play each other in the semi final.. where would the possible location of the game be?

Brenham - we went to Seguin and played on their home field last year. So they should come to Brenham I think.

6manmomma":pouod1oj said:
Veezy32":pouod1oj said:

Brenham - we went to Seguin and played on their home field last year. So they should come to Brenham I think.
We'll Brenham lost the coin toss last year...so how about one hand of 7 card draw/ deuces wild ? :mrgreen: Hey, we gotta beat Freddy first anyway...(and our record against them is like 1-5)

Back