Unreal!

house of cards

11-man fan
I don't normally post anything on here but scores, but I wanted to address a problem that I see running wild this year. This has been the worst year that I have seen in my sixteen years of coaching concerning cancelling games and/or making last minute changes. I just heard of another team that may have to cancel homecoming due to a cancellation. I personally have had to call refs two and three times during the week to make the most recent changes that are requested of me concerning a game. I understand that sometimes things just play out where you have to cancel or make changes, but does it seem to anyone else that this year has had WAY to many of these?

I had to cancel a game this week for next week, we were going to be their homecoming. Had 22 kids at one time this year. Have had 2 quit, 1 move away, 3 are out due to injuries and now lost 2 to grades. When you start with 22 you schedule games jv and varsity. Had 22 kids and are now down to 15 thats a whole team, you have to cancel the games.

We had a team cancel our homecoming (and a district) game last year. It was not going to be a competitive game. They were going to drive several hours to play 2 quarters, so they cancelled. But thankfully they reconsidered and showed up for the game. Non-competitive games aren't much fun on the winning side either, but it would have been a shame to have all the homecoming planning and activities ruined by a no-show. We've played against teams that had as few as 8 players (6 players on one middle school team a couple years ago). I think if you schedule games and you have at least 6 kids that can suit up and take the field then you ought to play the game.

6newbie":1mthvgjm said:
When you start with 22 you schedule games jv and varsity. Had 22 kids and are now down to 15 thats a whole team, you have to cancel the games.

Let's see. About 12 or 13 years ago, when I got started in high school sports, I got talked into being a BB/VB district president. One of the problems that district (admittedly it was private schools and some of us do some screwy things) had the previous year was schools wanting to reschedule games because some of their key athletes weren't available (injury, grades, vacations, whatever). One of the first rules I wrote was that if you could put six girls on a volleyball court or five on the basketball court, you played the game. And guess what? It worked. Yeah, you could reschedule games on mutual agreement (say a conflict with a major school/church event), but it was pointed out that no school was required to play three games in a week, so delaying games was going to be bad news.

We've played six-man football for 11 years now.

I can count on the fingers of one hand how many times we've had 15 or more players on the team and still have my choice of fingers left to pick my nose.

With all due respect, Coach, those 15 kids left may not be the 15 kids you want to play with, but you should be able to field a team with that number.

Panther Creek has enough to play. They choose who they play from week to week and leave the other teams on their schedule to scramble for games. Lack of class if you ask me.

I've been to games where a team started with 6 or 7 and ended the game playing with 5, or had to have the game stopped due to only having 4 kids left.

I was wondering how Panther Creek can play Veribest week 2 (currently ranked 125 overall and were 1-1 before the PC game), cancel against Rochelle (RHS homecoming) in week 3 (Rochelle currently ranked 36 overall and was higher than that in week 3 and were 3-0 at the time), then Panther Creek fields a team for their week 4 home game against Rising Star...PC homecoming by the way...(RS currently ranked 90 overall but they were lower before the PC game and were 2-2 going into it) and Panther Creek then plays week 5 against Cherokee (currently ranked 78 overall and were 0-4 going into that game). And now week 6 Panther Creek cancels against Mullin for their homecoming, Mullin is 4-2 and ranked 47 overall.

In 2010 Week 0 Novice played Miami and I think ended the game playing with just 5 or 4 players. Miami won 72-60. I can't remember if they played the whole game or if it had to be stopped in the 4th due to lack of players.

I'm not saying it is the right thing to play with just 6 kids...I am just saying it has been done.

One of my favorite Texas Country Reporter stories. "2004 Blackwell Hornets"
"In small-town Texas they play a special variety of football with 6 men on the field, or they don't play at all. Blackwell High School's only reserve player is out for the season, meaning the 6 remaining boys play every play, every quarter, every game."
Spoiler alert......Yep that's right.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VXVqX9H_ ... BCB01A5916

freeagent":doqdzn7f said:
6newbie":doqdzn7f said:
When you start with 22 you schedule games jv and varsity. Had 22 kids and are now down to 15 thats a whole team, you have to cancel the games.

Let's see. About 12 or 13 years ago, when I got started in high school sports, I got talked into being a BB/VB district president. One of the problems that district (admittedly it was private schools and some of us do some screwy things) had the previous year was schools wanting to reschedule games because some of their key athletes weren't available (injury, grades, vacations, whatever). One of the first rules I wrote was that if you could put six girls on a volleyball court or five on the basketball court, you played the game. And guess what? It worked. Yeah, you could reschedule games on mutual agreement (say a conflict with a major school/church event), but it was pointed out that no school was required to play three games in a week, so delaying games was going to be bad news.

We've played six-man football for 11 years now.

I can count on the fingers of one hand how many times we've had 15 or more players on the team and still have my choice of fingers left to pick my nose.

With all due respect, Coach, those 15 kids left may not be the 15 kids you want to play with, but you should be able to field a team with that number.
That's a Newbie for ya'.

Actually,
Before we start bustin Coach's chops,
we better consider
sometimes he gets pressure from Admin.
to cancel or change scheduling.
jus sayin'.

Back