Union Hill Six Man

master2579

11-man fan
First off, I would like to congratulate the Union Hill football team on their tremendous ride thus far in 2016. I am happy for the coaches, the new administration and most importantly the players. However my enthusiasm for the Union Hill community isn't as forthcoming (not that anybody cares). I say that kind of tongue in cheek. In 2011 I was invited to speak to, which I thought was just going to be the school board, but ended up being a cafeteria full of 6 man haters. I believe in 2011 UH was in the midst of back to back 0-10 seasons. I could be wrong. I just remember that night being full vitriol towards the six man game. There were plenty of community members that equated the 6 man game to flag football, a joke of a game. No way in the world were they going to let their sons or grandsons play this little league sport. After about a hour of trying to defend the sport and the wonders it would bring to their community, I told them I hoped they never played 6 man football. You guys would win 12-13 games every year with the right coach. I remember one old man standing up and saying to the room, ok let's say we start 6 man football, what's next we let the girls play? Too funny! Leaving that night, I was so mad I told my wife I needed to get out of coaching if they did ever decide to play because they are loaded with talent year in and year out. Fortunately for me my last year was in 2014 :). All in all, I am happy for the entire UH community. Bring home that state championship for East Texas!

That's a common reaction from people that don't understand the game, but they are usually quick to jump on the band wagon when a team starts winning.

My Aunt was the Sup at Union Hill then and tried hard to convince them to switch to six-man but your post coach Everett is exactly what happened and what she had to fight against. (she's not there now)

I can still remember how Throckmorton in large was so dead set against it and I have always wanted to hear what their haters have to say about it now after a few State Titles...but honestly it isnt about state titles its about which is better...finishing 0-10 or 0-7 with some forfeits or 1-9...or going 4-6 with a shot at the playoffs and then next year going 6-4 or 7-4 with a playoff berth...which is better for those kids playing? Wish more people thought of it that way

Obviously teams like Munday and Roscoe can still have great seasons in 11man but those types of teams on the bubble are exceptions to the rules

Great Post Coach and thanks for sharing!

Neat family connection Leman. Kudos to the Coach on his too.
I wonder if any still wish they were 0-10 in 11 man instead of still playing Real Football in December?

Back