UIL State Executive Committee to Meet (Strawn)

What other schools are in this basketball district.? Is anyone going to call them out for voting ineligible also? Had to be a majority. Their hands are not clean in this. Just out of curiosity. Would you say it’s closer to the Hatfield and McCoys or Capulet and Montagues mess?
Wouldn't we need to exam the weapon used in this assault. proverbial knife in the back? Or just outrage. Gordon thought Freeman was money in their bank (of talent).

What other schools are in this basketball district.? Is anyone going to call them out for voting ineligible also? Had to be a majority. Their hands are not clean in this. Just out of curiosity. Would you say it’s closer to the Hatfield and McCoys or Capulet and Montagues mess?
These superintendent are NEVER held accountable. They don't have to defend their position at all. Heck, I'm not even sure there is a record of how each individual member voted during the proceeding.

Heck, I'm not even sure there is a record of how each individual member voted during the proceeding.

I was trying to listen to this while at work, so I may have missed some, but if I'm remembering correctly, the decision was unanimous. Seems like I understood them to say there was never a motion to vote. The UIL moderator said that wasn't uncommon and is no different than a unanimous vote.

I'd have to go back and listen to the audio to verify, but I'm sure someone will be able to correct me if I misunderstood or misheard.

Whoever earlier stated that Gordon had burned some bridges is correct. In years past kids would transfer between Strawn and Gordon with impunity and be able to play almost immediately.. Whichever school had the best teams would get an occasional crossover. There seemed to be an unspoken agreement between the two schools to not rock the boat. Reed and company seems to have declared war on this set up.

I think they should either make a rule that they let the kids go to school at whatever school district they live in or move in with out fighting it or agree that no move in from either will be allowed to be eligible. Instead of the case by case situation they currently have. I know that their are kids that have been allowed but because they did not swing the football needle it was a non factor. Either allow across the board or not at all. Don’t make your decisions off the kids talent level is all I’m saying.
I don’t have a dog in this fight just feels with the close proximity of the districts and town along with the amount of blended longhorn/hound families some sort of consist rule would benefit everyone.

As far as I know, there is no rule against transferring for academic purposes, or band purposes, and I doubt anyone would object to a benchwarmer’s transfer. And the stud seldom wants to just up and leave his teammates in the middle of the school year without some kind of persuasion or coercion.

The moderator referred to overheard conversations a few times so hearsay is considered evidence so gossip would fall into that category too. Gordon girlfriends said he said this or that. This was a community involved family with the father being on the Gordon school board and he resigned once the house sold in Gordon and made plans to move to the ranch. Definitely an athletic determined move. Lol May be they didn't want to help fund that new bond that the district finally passed over much resistance. Gordon was out for blood and challenging Robert's transfer was their only way to get even. Gordon made a mistake with this move and knows better.
I am not taking sides or saying who is right or wrong but a few years ago the Castaneda kids lived in Mingus and decided to change schools and go to Gordon. Strawn challenged for athletic purposes. Both kids where freshmen and only Valerie was hurt because no jv girls bb. Xavier played Jv fb & bb. So this is a two way street.

Good points. It's possible or even probable that what the student said to fellow Gordon students was used against him. Coach Reed's sons getting on the varsity was mentioned as a possible factor as far as playing time (or lack of) went. The narrative of the discussion hinted that the student was not interested in driving back and forth to Gordon after making the move to continue playing there. If you watched the proceedings it seemed obvious that there would be no going back to a toxic situation.
Playing time was not a factor. Robert would have started on every part of the game if he stayed.

I think the day is coming where you can play at whatever school you attend. Where you live is no factor.
Edward, I believe you are a native Gordonite, don't you think this was more a personal grudge played out over Robert's transfer? Gordon is going to be real good the next three or four years with or without this student. Why muddy the waters? If you watched the video of the meeting the teacher or teacher's aide sitting with Holly Campbell and Coach Reed came across as an inspired gossip queen. Sure some of her friends will remind her of that too.

Reed is a sorry human being. He’s bounced around from school to school and left the ones he left in a mess. He’s 100% not who I would want my kid playing for. Furthermore, without his sons talent he would be gone in Gordon. Holly Campbell is a joke as well for administration. Surely the school board will intervene soon before lots of stuff comes to light. What’s said is a 40+ year old coach is getting his enjoyment out of hurting a kids high school experience. Some great coach he is who claims to “care” about the kids!

So besides the bitterness between towns. Is the consensus they just moved and it’s Reeds fault. Or could it also be the same but Lee also swayed the move and they are both at fault for the judgement handed down on this kid?

The Hinkson family took advantage of a market sold there house for 3 times more then what they paid for it and moved to a family land that’s been in the family for decades in strawn district. I have heard all Mike Reed statement he took forward in the district meeting and uil was information from 2 of Robert’s exgirlfriend that sent him message from what has told them about moving to strawn. Why ain’t we on here finding out why Mike Reed’s former players and now coach’s have been release from Gordon. Golden can u answer that for us. I have watched a couple games this year of Gordon and seen Reed have unbelievable talent sitting on the bench instead of on the field because of who there parents are and put so much time in to a so call all world jr high team. Gordon needs to find out if Mike Reed had any knowledge of what his coach’s have done and if so fire his a$$ too. Just my opinion

Well this is the right thread. What is going on with the coaches at Gordon.?.? As much talk from Strawn how Gordon has done nothing and a shell of its former self as of the last 20yrs. Seems to be a lot of pent animosity from one’s being on the side of relevance

Reed should be gone with out a doubt. But with a crooked admin with ties to the glory days of longhorn football hanging on to a false hope that Gordon could be winners again, his issues and employees who work under him are “swept” under a rug. Once again it’s a matter of a few short days before some issues come to light and reported to the correct places.

Back