UIL State Executive Committee to Meet (Strawn)

I really don't know Etheridge's situation (6th and 7th don't count). But, if that kid would have repeated 8th grade, but not play, the year still counts. The clock starts ticking the first day a student enters 8th grade.

Well, well, well. This has gotten deep. What a crock of cocca. I've not seen the "step dad" in many many years. Had no idea where he lived these days or that they have 6 kids. Why can't you move back to the family ranch (of 6 generations now) to build a home for your family in close proximity to other close family members just because you want to if you have the opportunity? I have met a Very few members of the larger family a very few times, briefly. 20 years ago they were courteous, polite and friendly to newcomers to town. I wish them nothing but the best.
I have no idea but have to wonder are the rest if the kids are all girls? Or are maybe a pool of 2 or 3 more potential future football players moving back Home? Either way, good for them if that's what their parents want.

Even if you move into the district, the previous school can mark the PAPF to show they moved for athletic purposes. Then it would be up to the district committee to decided if the student did or not. In this case, the DC decided the student moved for athletic purposes, which the family appealed to the UIL.

The mother of the Strawn child is correct. The UIL does not care for the best interest of students and/or schools. The UIL is in the business of making money. That’s just my humble, honest opinion. I wish nothing for the best for this young man as he moves forward.
Athletes move all the time...how was the brooksmith kid able to play varsity for May this season? No one contested it? Just trying to understand how one kid is punished here when it happens all the time.

Well, well, well. This has gotten deep. What a crock of cocca. I've not seen the "step dad" in many many years. Had no idea where he lived these days or that they have 6 kids. Why can't you move back to the family ranch (of 6 generations now) to build a home for your family in close proximity to other close family members just because you want to if you have the opportunity? I have met a Very few members of the larger family a very few times, briefly. 20 years ago they were courteous, polite and friendly to newcomers to town. I wish them nothing but the best.
I have no idea but have to wonder are the rest if the kids are all girls? Or are maybe a pool of 2 or 3 more potential future football players moving back Home? Either way, good for them if that's what their parents want.
Reed got what he wanted. Gordon got what they wanted.

Athletes move all the time...how was the brooksmith kid able to play varsity for May this season? No one contested it? Just trying to understand how one kid is punished here when it happens all the time.
I believe I stated that in my post. Here are the questions the previous school have to answer on the PAPF: 1. Was there any conflict or dissatisfaction between the student, his/her parents, and the athletic/academic supervisors at the school? 2. Was this student recruited to attend another school or was any undue influence exerted upon this student or family to change schools? 3. Did this student quit an athletic activity or program while enrolled in your school? If yes, attach explanation to DEC. 4. Was this student ever suspended or removed from your school athletic program? If yes, attach explanation to DEC. 5. Would the student be prohibited from participation in athletics had they not changed schools? If yes, attach explanation to DEC. 6. Based on your knowledge of the student and their circumstances, is this student changing schools for athletic purposes? If yes, attach explanation to DEC.

This statement is also right above the questions: . If any of questions 1-5 are marked ‘Yes’, a full meeting of the District Executive Committee (DEC) would be required only if requested by a member of the committee in the new district. If question 6 is marked ‘Yes’, a full hearing of the DEC is required in the new district.

So, I don't know what the situation was with the Brookesmith kid. Obviously everything was ok with May's DEC. May's DEC and Strawn/Gordon DEC is two completely different DECs. It all comes down to the DEC and the UIL will back them 99% of the time. The audio is available on the UIL website. Listen to the case before Strawn. Valid and justified reasons to change schools. UIL still backed the DEC.

I believe I stated that in my post. Here are the questions the previous school have to answer on the PAPF: 1. Was there any conflict or dissatisfaction between the student, his/her parents, and the athletic/academic supervisors at the school? 2. Was this student recruited to attend another school or was any undue influence exerted upon this student or family to change schools? 3. Did this student quit an athletic activity or program while enrolled in your school? If yes, attach explanation to DEC. 4. Was this student ever suspended or removed from your school athletic program? If yes, attach explanation to DEC. 5. Would the student be prohibited from participation in athletics had they not changed schools? If yes, attach explanation to DEC. 6. Based on your knowledge of the student and their circumstances, is this student changing schools for athletic purposes? If yes, attach explanation to DEC.

This statement is also right above the questions: . If any of questions 1-5 are marked ‘Yes’, a full meeting of the District Executive Committee (DEC) would be required only if requested by a member of the committee in the new district. If question 6 is marked ‘Yes’, a full hearing of the DEC is required in the new district.

So, I don't know what the situation was with the Brookesmith kid. Obviously everything was ok with May's DEC. May's DEC and Strawn/Gordon DEC is two completely different DECs. It all comes down to the DEC and the UIL will back them 99% of the time. The audio is available on the UIL website. Listen to the case before Strawn. Valid and justified reasons to change schools. UIL still backed the DEC.
Still does not make it right. I hope someone tries legal action someday because I do not believe due process is given to someone accused of "moving for athletic reasons."

Still does not make it right. I hope someone tries legal action someday because I do not believe due process is given to someone accused of "moving for athletic reasons."
I agree and I also stated my opinion on the UIL in my original post. Just trying to give you guys an idea of how the process works.

Its obviously personal for Reed since Gordon is going D1 and Strawn going west, still in D2. Losing 10 seniors in 6man doesnt necessarily translate well to a state championship run the next year even with 1 good addition...

Interesting...thanks for sharing

This is my hot take of it all. Could the UIL use some type of reform? Absolutely. Do I think Gordon and Co are just salty as ever that they haven’t been relevant since the early to mid 2000’s? Absolutely. Who do I think this is going to impact the most mentally when all the dust is settled? The kid. At the end of the day he’s still a kid and a pissing match is only going to mess with his head more than it already has. JV gets to play how many games a year, 1 maybe 2? He’s probably thinking his future is done and his high school career is in shambles and more than likely is not thinking to highly of himself at the moment probably blaming all of this on himself. I say all this with experience, because he is now living the same reality that I had when I was in school. It’s not the kids fault that the Hounds are always relevant and have been since Coach Lee’s very first year there. I don’t remember where I seen or heard the comment, but he doesn’t rebuild every year, he just reloads. Vance jones is a god among men. Jerry Burkhart is condescending as all heck, but I’ll always respect how he teaches every single player to have and give the respect to their opponents year in and year out after every single play. Dewaine Lee has proved for 18 years now why he belongs in the hall of fame. All 3 of them have something in common and Gordon’s coaching staff just ain’t got it.

Last edited:
This is my hot take of it all. Could the UIL use some type of reform? Absolutely. Do I think Gordon and Co are just salty as ever that they haven’t been relevant since the early to mid 2000’s? Absolutely. Who do I think this is going to impact the most mentally when all the dust is settled? The kid. At the end of the day he’s still a kid and a pissing match is only going to mess with his head more than it already has. JV gets to play how many games a year, 1 maybe 2? He’s probably thinking his future is done and his high school career is in shambles and more than likely is not thinking to highly of himself at the moment probably blaming all of this on himself. I say all this with experience, because he is now living the same reality that I had when I was in school. It’s not the kids fault that the Hounds are always relevant and have been since Coach Lee’s very first year there. I don’t remember where I seen or heard the comment, but he doesn’t rebuild every year, he just reloads. Vance jones is a god among men. Jerry Burkhart is condescending as all heck, but I’ll always respect how he teaches every single player to have and give the respect to their opponents year and and year out after every single play. Dewaine Lee has proved for 18 years now why he belongs in the hall of fame. All 3 of them have something in common and Gordon’s coaching staff just ain’t got it.
This is so true. My son is depressed and as if covid hasn't taken enough from these kids here comes GISD and UIL to take the only sense of normalcy he had left . I can not stress enough these people are not for the kids.

What other schools are in this basketball district.? Is anyone going to call them out for voting ineligible also? Had to be a majority. Their hands are not clean in this. Just out of curiosity. Would you say it’s closer to the Hatfield and McCoys or Capulet and Montagues mess?

Back