UIL State Executive Committee to Meet (Strawn)

Mike

Six-man master
Administrator
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

AUSTIN, Texas
— The State Executive Committee of the University Interscholastic League will convene for an emergency meeting at 9:00 a.m. Thursday, February 17th, via teleconference to determine the eligibility of student-athletes. It will be available Live on the UIL State Executive Committee Page.

A schedule of Thursday’s hearing follows:

Hearing (AA-BB)
9:45 a.m. - BB. - Strawn High School: Appeal of District 19-1A Executive Committee Decision Regarding Eligibility of a Student-Athlete, Section 443, Changing Schools for Athletic Purposes.

The State Executive Committee meeting is an open meeting, and all interested parties are welcome.

We are waiting for the hearing on the RS kid who’s still looking for a house in the district. Not much to say about the Strawn situation, a kid moved and now the UIL will hold a hearing, that’s normal.

I am actually pretty interested in this. So other than deeming the player ineligible are there any other penalties towards Strawn?

I am actually pretty interested in this. So other than deeming the player ineligible are there any other penalties towards Strawn?

As far as I'm aware, no. They haven't done anything against the rules to this point. They're just appealing the decision to name a kid ineligible to compete in UIL activities. I've only watched a few of these, but from what I can understand, based on the ones I've watched, basically it means the kid and/or their parent/guardians will need to convince the UIL that they moved schools for a reason other than for athletic purposes.

I don’t think going from Gordon to Strawn is a big athletics improvement really. Strawn lost 10 Seniors and from what you read on here has a super star that might move. Gordon was a legit contender this year with a great coach and young talented roster. So if a kid moved into strawns district from Gordon I’d bet they were just trying to punish the kid for leaving

Let's keep things on topic, please.

I don’t think going from Gordon to Strawn is a big athletics improvement really. Strawn lost 10 Seniors and from what you read on here has a super star that might move. Gordon was a legit contender this year with a great coach and young talented roster. So if a kid moved into strawns district from Gordon I’d bet they were just trying to punish the kid for leaving

All of the previous hearings I've watched included players who were somehow punished in athletics, didn't like it, and their parents took them to another school. The coaches from the teams that the kid were leaving, or whoever filled out the transfer form, were present at the hearings explaining why they determined it was for athletic purposes. I, obviously, don't know anything about this particular kid, or transfer, but I wouldn't bet that they did it out of spite. There has to be some reason, and I'm assuming they'll have to explain that reasoning to the UIL this morning.

Again, I haven't seen many of these things but this is how they've all went. I'd assume today's will follow a similar pattern.

If the student in question had moved any where else but Strawn this UIL action would have not taken place. Gordon is upset that their group of good football players has been diminished. I understand that this student is member of a ranching family in the area. They sold their place in Gordon and moved to the ranch in the Strawn ISD. Remember Strawn and Gordon are only eight miles apart and Gordon's lack of success in the rivalry is a sore spot.

Last edited:
This transfer was turned down by the basketball district committee. Probably because Gordon did not include the small but important sheet of paper saying that he was not moving for athletic purposes. Without that sheet of paper, it will take some extraordinary circumstances for the state to overturn the district committee on this appeal.

idk what blue bird is talking about with the sheet of paper.. every transfer has to do a PAPF for athletics. Gordon Checked the box that said the move was for athletic purposes, and that went through the DEC which made him ineligible. Strawn appealed and lost. so the student will have to play JV for a year.

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

AUSTIN, Texas
— The State Executive Committee of the University Interscholastic League met Thursday for an Emergency Meeting to hand down decisions on eligibility of student-athletes.

[A student-athlete] from Strawn High School [was] denied an appeal for varsity eligibility, upholding the previous ruling of the district executive committee.

Back