UIL realignment list

smokeyjoe53":3qhiupcu said:
Razorbackinrotan":3qhiupcu said:
rainjacktx":3qhiupcu said:
I love Rotan's mascot. The Yellowhammers. I think it's a bird. But whatever it is, I like saying it. yellowhammer.

It isn't hard to be proud of a mascot that can take it's ***** and drill a hole in a tree.

(please delete if this is out of line here)
It takes quite a bit to get out of line around here...............

Funny thing is that way back in the old days I was nearly booted off the 1A board for smacking Knox City too much and now I own it LOL Gonna be fun keeping track of two classifications LOL

I feel so special, I've actually got a yellowhammer. Well, just the handle is yellow, it's fiberglass, made by Stanley.
And, I know an ornitholigist.

I noticed there are 13 11-man schools playing in 1A-Division 2 basketball, meaning these schools have enrollment under 99.5

Leakey
Rocksprings
D'Hanis
Baird
Roby
Roscoe Collegiate
Bronte
Cross Plains
Gorman
Frost
Gilmer Union Hill
Burkeville
Menard

Does anyone know the enrollments # these schools turned in for this realignment and where I could find them?

Roscoe 97
Union Hill 97
Bronte 96
Menard 93.5
Baird 93
Cross Plains 92.5
Frost 91
D'Hanis 87
Roby 81
Gorman 80
Leakey 78
Rocksprings 76

I've spoken to the supes of Leaky and Rocksprings. Both said the move to sixman had been considered, but they were concerned with travel costs.

rainjacktx":1y0nmpn0 said:
oneday":1y0nmpn0 said:
Poor Karnack...That District looks tough on paper! Calvert, Milford, Trinidad...

Should Throckmorton be happy to be in the West again???

Not just the West, but Region 2. They will have to actually earn their way to the finals this season. Not to take anything away from the Greyhounds, but the East was weak last year.

So sad to bad mouth the State Champs with a remark like that.

Jedi":v5yfv1ji said:
rainjacktx":v5yfv1ji said:
oneday":v5yfv1ji said:
Poor Karnack...That District looks tough on paper! Calvert, Milford, Trinidad...

Should Throckmorton be happy to be in the West again???

Not just the West, but Region 2. They will have to actually earn their way to the finals this season. Not to take anything away from the Greyhounds, but the East was weak last year.

So sad to bad mouth the State Champs with a remark like that.
It's jus a E. coast/W. coast thang w/ da Jac.
Word!

rainjacktx":ia23sceq said:
I love Rotan's mascot. The Yellowhammers. I think it's a bird. But whatever it is, I like saying it. yellowhammer.

In Goob's favorite word, it's a p e c k e r w o o d......

Razorbackinrotan":1ulrtn5f said:
smokeyjoe53":1ulrtn5f said:
Razorbackinrotan":1ulrtn5f said:
rainjacktx":1ulrtn5f said:

It isn't hard to be proud of a mascot that can take it's ***** and drill a hole in a tree.

(please delete if this is out of line here)
It takes quite a bit to get out of line around here...............

Funny thing is that way back in the old days I was nearly booted off the 1A board for smacking Knox City too much and now I own it LOL Gonna be fun keeping track of two classifications LOL

You'll fit in here just fine. I enjoy gigging the Water Valley folks. They have pretty thin skins......

Thanks CowboyP, some of those numbers are suprising, also very shocked by Cross Plains numbers wow. I do have the old numbers and will compaire.

Leakey 81 to 78
Rocksprings 94 to 76
D'Hanis 96 to 87
Baird stays at 93
Roby 99.5 to 81
Roscoe 115 to 97
Bronte 99 to 96
Cross Plains 102 to 92.5
Gorman 91 to 80
Frost 94.5 to 91
Gilmer Union Hill 91 to 97
Menard 97.5 to 93.5

I've emailed the supe of D'Hanis a couple of times, but I've never gotten a reply.
I'm going to start calling & emailing most of those schools at the end of next season.

CowboyP":dea2a7xg said:
Roscoe 97
Union Hill 97
Bronte 96
Menard 93.5
Baird 93
Cross Plains 92.5
Frost 91
D'Hanis 87
Roby 81
Gorman 80
Leakey 78
Rocksprings 76

I've spoken to the supes of Leaky and Rocksprings. Both said the move to sixman had been considered, but they were concerned with travel costs.

What they need to do is talk to the supes at Comstock, Knippa, and Utopia. They could form a nice little district with Leakey, Rocksprings, D'Hanis, Knippa, and Utopia.

CowboyP":1pnbz6ku said:
I've emailed the supe of D'Hanis a couple of times, but I've never gotten a reply.
I'm going to start calling & emailing most of those schools at the end of next season.
D'Hanis was a pretty tough 6 man school right up to when they went 11 man. They won back-to-back Regional titles in 6 man in 1960 and 1961 and then back-to-back bi-district in 11 man in 1963 and 1964. They did not have a losing season from at least 1958 to 1977.

I talked with someone recently who works at Cross Plains and knows what's up...he told me they have large Junior High classes so a move to six-man may not happen for a while.

Old Bearkat":31jtpl3m said:
What they need to do is talk to the supes at Comstock, Knippa, and Utopia. They could form a nice little district with Leakey, Rocksprings, D'Hanis, Knippa, and Utopia.

Add Tilden McMullen to that list, too, if the school board and supe there would make a decision to go sixman. Place has a track which could easily fit a football field. Last I heard, some were talking how they'd need a million bucks to start a sixman program (with facility upgrades). I offered to do it for $900,000 and make a very substantial profit. And McMullen was a oil-rich school district BEFORE the Eagle Ford oil boom hit.

Plus, there are loads of private schools in the San Antonio and Hill Country that would fill a non-district schedule.

As for travel, my contact down in Tilden did a little math. Figuring they'd join the closest UIL district (which included Prairie Lea) for perhaps four district games a year and six non-district games against San Antonio area private schools (half home, half away), the football team would have HALF the travel of the basketball team during their past season.

I think several of those supes need to sit down together and decide if they want to move in as a group so no one is the lone guy making the move.

But whadda I know.

D'Hanis has been competitive in their 11-man district, but a drop to 6-man would benefit Leakey for sure. We ran against Knippa and Utopia in area track meets back when and they always had some fast kids, so maybe they could do well. From what I hear there is a petition of some kind going around in Tilden to start a 6-man team, but some people are concerned about cost. It would be exciting to be able to watch 6-man in my area of South Texas. My brother plays for Oakwood, but it's hard to get off work in time to drive all that way and catch a game.

BigSoTex":4fsgvxet said:
D'Hanis has been competitive in their 11-man district, but a drop to 6-man would benefit Leakey for sure. We ran against Knippa and Utopia in area track meets back when and they always had some fast kids, so maybe they could do well. From what I hear there is a petition of some kind going around in Tilden to start a 6-man team, but some people are concerned about cost. It would be exciting to be able to watch 6-man in my area of South Texas. My brother plays for Oakwood, but it's hard to get off work in time to drive all that way and catch a game.

Really, all Tilden "needs" for their field to be ready for football is (1) redirect the lights (they're set towards the track); (2) prepare the track infield for a football field and erect goal posts and a scoreboard (and hey, there's a bank in town that would probably buy the scoreboard; doesn't every small town bank buy the scoreboard? Plus, there's gotta be some spare pipe around town and a welder or two who could make a goal post in a few days) and (3) erect some bleachers on the home side. They could bus the teams over from the high school a few blocks away to save the cost of building locker rooms; there is already a concessions stand, restrooms, and a press box (although the press box isn't at the center of the field). Look at google maps satellite view and you'll see the facility. I also think there's some internal (coaching) concern since the main sport there is basketball (a fine sport, by the way, but this is Texas).

Back