Baird 93
Cross Plains 92.5
Frost 91
D'Hanis 87
Roby 81
Gorman 80
Leakey 78
Rocksprings 76

I've spoken to the supes of Leaky and Rocksprings. Both said the move to sixman had been considered, but they were concerned with travel costs.

What they need to do is talk to the supes at Comstock, Knippa, and Utopia. They could form a nice little district with Leakey, Rocksprings, D'Hanis, Knippa, and Utopia.
I've talked to the supes of Comstock (supe wants to play board said no), Knippa (worried about start-up & travel cost), Utopia (same concerns as Knippa), Rocksprings & Leaky (said they would make the move to sixman if a couple other area schools played). I recommended the supes get together & discuss it, but it never happened.

We drove by and looked at the track last week and I told my wife what a shame it was that they didn't have a football field in the middle of it. There may be a concern about having enough boys that want to play. With all of the oilfield workers that live in the dozens of RV parks that have popped up all over this area, you would think that maybe a few would bring their families along. There are more welders living in Tilden than there are fleas on a dog, and I'm sure that one of the many oil companies drilling in the area would donate money/labor to the cause. McMullen County needs 6-Man Football!

By the way, I believe I called the D1/D2 cut-off point right on the money ... 53.5.

Couple other numbers:

Schools placed in UIL sixman districts: 138
UIL schools playing outlaw: 3 (Ft. Hancock, Grand Prairie Advantage Charter, Gholson JV)
Total UIL schools - 141

Schools not affilated with any league: 13
Schools affiliated with TAPPS: 59 (58 in districts)
Schools affiliated with T-CAL: 39 (tentative)
Schools affiliated with TCAF: 17 (as of 1/31)
Total Non-UIL schools - 129

I remember making a presentation at our clinic in 2009 on this and I think the numbers were something like UIL 120, private schools 110.

lifegatesports":1bz54b38 said:
BigSoTex":1bz54b38 said:
D'Hanis has been competitive in their 11-man district, but a drop to 6-man would benefit Leakey for sure. We ran against Knippa and Utopia in area track meets back when and they always had some fast kids, so maybe they could do well. From what I hear there is a petition of some kind going around in Tilden to start a 6-man team, but some people are concerned about cost. It would be exciting to be able to watch 6-man in my area of South Texas. My brother plays for Oakwood, but it's hard to get off work in time to drive all that way and catch a game.

Really, all Tilden "needs" for their field to be ready for football is (1) redirect the lights (they're set towards the track); (2) prepare the track infield for a football field and erect goal posts and a scoreboard (and hey, there's a bank in town that would probably buy the scoreboard; doesn't every small town bank buy the scoreboard? Plus, there's gotta be some spare pipe around town and a welder or two who could make a goal post in a few days) and (3) erect some bleachers on the home side. They could bus the teams over from the high school a few blocks away to save the cost of building locker rooms; there is already a concessions stand, restrooms, and a press box (although the press box isn't at the center of the field). Look at google maps satellite view and you'll see the facility. I also think there's some internal (coaching) concern since the main sport there is basketball (a fine sport, by the way, but this is Texas).

That area inside the track was probably their old football field. They dropped football in the early 70's when there were absolutely no 6 man schools within 200 miles and tehy no longer had enough boys to play 11 man.

Old Bearkat":28yfnlx7 said:
CowboyP":28yfnlx7 said:
OBK, why do you always want to dog on the WV Dynasty?

There are a couple of them that are easy to get spun up.

Really? Already? One would think that, after the season the Bearkats just had, you'd look elsewhere for your gigging victims OBK. Hold on, I'm getting a little dizzy from all this spinning. :)

On a serious note, looks like that district is stacked again. I don't see one slouch in the bunch. Hard to say how Marfa will make the transition but you gotta' figure they'll be tough.

WV Backer":2gn5f4k4 said:
Old Bearkat":2gn5f4k4 said:
CowboyP":2gn5f4k4 said:
OBK, why do you always want to dog on the WV Dynasty?

There are a couple of them that are easy to get spun up.

Really? Already? One would think that, after the season the Bearkats just had, you'd look elsewhere for your gigging victims OBK. Hold on, I'm getting a little dizzy from all this spinning. :) One mediocre season in eight ain't bad

On a serious note, looks like that district is stacked again. I don't see one slouch in the bunch. Hard to say how Marfa will make the transition but you gotta' figure they'll be tough.

Yeah, it's gonna be a tough district next year.

Old Bearkat":1ss3l7kg said:
That area inside the track was probably their old football field. They dropped football in the early 70's when there were absolutely no 6 man schools within 200 miles and tehy no longer had enough boys to play 11 man.

Perhaps that's where the football field was in the 1970's, OBK, but I can assure you that the track construction and related facilities are new and probably built in the last four to five years, if not more recently.

oneday":1v1xe7o3 said:
I talked with someone recently who works at Cross Plains and knows what's up...he told me they have large Junior High classes so a move to six-man may not happen for a while.
That's what they said in Gorman too!
Cool avatar!

Dogface - Last year...or maybe 2 years ago now...I tried very hard to set up a game between Throckmorton and Gorman playing half the game 6man half 11man...Gorman didn't want to do it...but they did at least think about it...when I asked someone in charge there what they thought about playing 6man he told me "they'd rather blow up the town"

The avatar is the starting 6 for the 1938 Beasley team.

oneday":264gyvw9 said:
Dogface - Last year...or maybe 2 years ago now...I tried very hard to set up a game between Throckmorton and Gorman playing half the game 6man half 11man...Gorman didn't want to do it...but they did at least think about it...when I asked someone in charge there what they thought about playing 6man he told me "they'd rather blow up the town"

Didn't Nazareth say the same thing a couple years back?

lifegatesports":1o2wwyr1 said:
oneday":1o2wwyr1 said:

I believe so. I wonder if Hades froze over.

CowboyP":3naws87o said:
lifegatesports":3naws87o said:
oneday":3naws87o said:

I heard ol' Belezebub was shiviring a bit the other day ...

lifegatesports":rxd9m0hf said:
CowboyP":rxd9m0hf said:
lifegatesports":rxd9m0hf said:
oneday":rxd9m0hf said:

I heard ol' Belezebub was shiviring a bit the other day ...
You know what they say about
"Famous last words".

There are actually some good reasons
some schools don't make the switch.
Unfortunately,
there are some stupid ones too!!!
Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr........................!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

When I look at that old picture,
it almost tells me everything I need to know about coaching 6man.
We need to make it into a wall sized Fathead for the locker room.

lifegatesports":ii86eenb said:

Yeah. But that was before they went two seasons without scoring a touchdown.

Losing as badly as the Swifts did can lead to a totally different outlook on things. Especially when you are used to winning at everything.

rainjacktx":3hlv2imj said:
lifegatesports":3hlv2imj said:

Yeah. But that was before they went two seasons without scoring a touchdown.

Losing as badly as the Swifts did can lead to a totally different outlook on things. Especially when you are used to winning at everything.

As The Good Book sayeth, pride goeth before the fall.

rainjacktx":2yexgk7j said:
Dogface":2yexgk7j said:
That's why I try to say something stupid every day.
To stay humble.

I don't really think you have to try all that hard. saying stupid stuff seems to come to you like ducks to water.
It's because I'm so humble.
See!
It's working.

As for the ducks?
Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr...................................!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Back