Top Teams 2015

coachbronk

Six-man fan
To steal a topic in another section and strictly for conversation and debate; who are the Top Teams in 2015 in each Division? Below is a list of each Division, each District and the top 2 teams from 2014. Let the talk/debate begin:

Division 1
1: Midland Trinity/Watauga Harvest
2: Boerne Geneva (11man 2015)/Austin Hill Country
3: Baytown Christian/Sugar Land Logos

Division 2
1: Denton Calvary/Lubbock Christ The King
2: Waco Live Oak/Dallas Tyler Street
3: Austin Veritas/San Antonio Castle Hills
4: Orange Community/Conroe Covenant

Division 3
1: Wichita Falls Notre Dame/Wichita Falls Wichita Christian
2: Longview Trinity School/Fort Worth Covenant Classical
3: Fredericksburg Heritage/San Marcos Hill Country
4: Alvin Living Stones/Brenham Christian

Midland lost two of the best players both All district. They do have plenty of kids and some who can step in nicely so they should be just fine without missing a beat. Watauga Harvest the Cinderella team from last year lost their QB (All District) and a couple of quality performers (both all District) they are small in numbers so I'm not sure they have the depth to reload like Midland. Could be a long season for them this year.

Keep an eye out for Rockwall they may surprise some teams if they aren't taken seriously. Losing DC and BG to 11 man will at least give someone else a chance to win state. Austine Hill losing their two big weapons in the Monterio (sp) brothers will be hard to replace. The teams from the south are loaded not just SLP or Baytown the rest of the state better pay attention to that district.

Denton isn't losing much so they should be very good. Waco and Dallas Tyler have athletes which will make them interesting.

Who are the teams to watch? Great thread. I'm sure as always I'll be wrong.

I'll take it a step further and ask who are the kids to watch? Is there a kid that is worth paying to go see play this year?

Quick follow up. One of the new teams this year in 6 man is Dallas Lutheran they may be a team that makes plenty of noise this year. I think they have some athletes which could translate very well to the 6 man game.

I think District 4 Division III is wide open. Brenham loses 6 seniors, Alvin loses all state quarterback and wide receiver, Conroe Lifestyle comes in for the first time in tackle but with good numbers I'm sure, and Bellville looks like they will have quite a few boys, with a mix of established players and a big group of incoming freshmen. Should be interesting......

I'm not sure how much noise we will make but I like my team and believe we have the right kind of kids to play sixman and be successful. Obviously, how fast they adjust from 11-man to sixman will be important, but I can't wait to see. Spring ball and summer OTA's will be very important.

As for everyone else:

Division 1: The loss of Boerne Geneva is huge for D1 Distict 2 as it opens that district back up, but I am a big believer in Coach Hudgens at Austin Hill Country. Always have, always will. You can't sleep on Round Rock Christian; they will be a tough out next year in my mind. Coach Huckabee over at Heritage always puts together tough teams and I don't expect anything different next season. Personally, I look forward to being in the same district as him because of the respect I have for him. I don't know much about the South Texas teams, so I will reserve comments.

Division 2: I think the power lies in Central Texas in D2 with Waco Live Oak, Castle Hills, OLH and Veritas, but don't fall asleep on Denton Calvary. I will always pull for my former school, Summit Christian Academy, to be successful. So I hope to continue to see great things out of the Eagles.

Division 3: 2 words...TIM.SHIPMAN. As long as he's running the show at Freddy, they will always be in the mix in my book. Longview Trinity looks like they could be tough again next season.

I love being back and love talking about this game. I hope everyone has a great spring and summer. When does football start...

Summit Christian was a major surprise to me last year. We played them in week 1 and they looked fantastic. It was a major turnaround from the 2012-2013 season. I think they are returning almost all of their guys too. I think they could definitely compete in Division II. BCA will have them again in Week 1 in Cedar Park, so we'll find out early on:)

I have to admit that when I wrote about Dallas Lutheran I had no idea that Coach Bronk had that affiliation. Glad I didn't say anything bad. Welcome to six man. No doubt you guys will do very well. Coach Hudgens is a well respected coach for sure and he always has his teams ready to play. Ovilla in District 1 has a kid to keep an eye on. He is fun to watch I think he #1. Rockwall has a Sophomore QB to watch as well.

FreyBCA":2bd1unlc said:
Summit Christian was a major surprise to me last year. We played them in week 1 and they looked fantastic. It was a major turnaround from the 2012-2013 season. I think they are returning almost all of their guys too. I think they could definitely compete in Division II. BCA will have them again in Week 1 in Cedar Park, so we'll find out early on:)

Coach Martin is doing a great job at Summit. He has stabilized that situation and has quickly made them competitive again. I expect them to continue to climb and be a handful next season.

Hotsportsopinion":1ra0ey3u said:
I have to admit that when I wrote about Dallas Lutheran I had no idea that Coach Bronk had that affiliation. Glad I didn't say anything bad. Welcome to six man. No doubt you guys will do very well. Coach Hudgens is a well respected coach for sure and he always has his teams ready to play. Ovilla in District 1 has a kid to keep an eye on. He is fun to watch I think he #1. Rockwall has a Sophomore QB to watch as well.

Haha!!! I appreciate the kind words about our program. Hopefully, I don't screw them up too bad. I'll admit, I think I have more overall talent than I did in my final two years at CP Summit Christian and we won a district title and were district runner up. I expect our district to be fun and competitive each week.

Are there no exciting players in D1 six man that are worth watching? Other than the 2 that I've mentioned in District 1. I hope there are a few more in District 1 and throughout the state.

Gotta say, once again, I sure wish we were in two divisions. With so few teams in some districts I think it would make for some fun and meaningful Friday nights if TAPPS would combine. There would be fewer non-district games for coaches to schedule, which I'm sure is a headache. District games would carry A LOT more weight. AND, a real 16 or even 24 team bracket to finish out the year. Wouldn't it be fun to see how Longview or Seguin or Freddy would do against some of the bigger schools (my division III bias, gotta like the little guys). I can dream.....

Division I- I don't really follow the big schools. Boerne moving down to 11-man makes things a bit easier for the rest of the division, though.

Division II- Denton and Live Oak seem to have a quality product. Castle Hills will fall off the map with the loss of their stud. Will Veritas continue to sling the ball around?

Division III- My top teams from the north will be Granbury, Longview and one of the Wichita schools. From the south it's going to be Seguin, San Marcos and Freddy, which I think may be the best three teams in this division this year.

pup":2ot83q0x said:
Gotta say, once again, I sure wish we were in two divisions. With so few teams in some districts I think it would make for some fun and meaningful Friday nights if TAPPS would combine. There would be fewer non-district games for coaches to schedule, which I'm sure is a headache. District games would carry A LOT more weight. AND, a real 16 or even 24 team bracket to finish out the year. Wouldn't it be fun to see how Longview or Seguin or Freddy would do against some of the bigger schools (my division III bias, gotta like the little guys). I can dream.....

Division I- I don't really follow the big schools. Boerne moving down to 11-man makes things a bit easier for the rest of the division, though.

Division II- Denton and Live Oak seem to have a quality product. Castle Hills will fall off the map with the loss of their stud. Will Veritas continue to sling the ball around?

Division III- My top teams from the north will be Granbury, Longview and one of the Wichita schools. From the south it's going to be Seguin, San Marcos and Freddy, which I think may be the best three teams in this division this year.

I think there are positives and negatives to it. Having 3 Divisions does give smaller schools a chance to compete consistently and I think it has brought more schools into the fold. I agree that in some cases it has been watered down a bit having 3 Divisions and has caused us to schedule a lot more non district games than some of us like. I am a big fan of 2-3 non district games then 7-8 district games.

I'm not sure this is the proper forum but I think this has been talked about before. I have no idea how or why TAPPS decides districts or classifications. I understand it is loosely based on enrollment or boys enrolled. What gets me is that a schools football district is different from their baseball district which is different from their basketball district which is different from their track district. It seems like TAPPS is missing something. The problem with 6 man football is that 1 kid who may not even play football can affect if a team is D1, D2, or D3. I know its not an exact science but seems like they need to revisit how they classify schools and try to keep schools in the same district and classification when possible. I do realize that some schools don't offer certain sports so that plays a factor, again not a job I would want.

I believe in most cases basketball, baseball and track are all the same teams with football being the only sport that is different. Football is the only sport done by Divisions while the others are done by traditional classifications. There are always going to be plus/minuses in how its done but it seems pretty fair overall. My only gripe that I've had with TAPPS in regards to its football alignment is how they determine the cut off number. For example, this past season when we played 11man, we had a district that was made up of schools who had an avg boy number of 99 to a schools with avg boy number of 40. The cut off for D3 to D2 was 100. It wasn't right that teams like us, Garland Christian, The Highlands, etc were facing teams like Waco Reicher and Trinity Christian Cedar Hill who have been traditional D2 schools who just so happened to turn in boys avg of 99 and 96. Don't get me started on the whole recruiting aspect...

I'll get off my soap box now.

pup":1l3nw49c said:
Division II- Denton and Live Oak seem to have a quality product. Castle Hills will fall off the map with the loss of their stud.

Just wondering how you define "fall off the map" pup? 0-10, 2-8?

Looks like Castle Hills beat a very good Crosby Victory and Praise team 55-30. Crosby Victory and Praise ended last year with a 255 rating and were #91 in the overall State ratings. Castle Hills did lose three seniors who made 1st team All-State, but they started and played a good number of Sophomores and a Junior on their way to winning a State Championship last year.

You might want to slow down on shoveling dirt on their grave just yet.

Not sure either how they will fall off the map. Castle Hills has a strong solid program with a lot of dept.
19 on its current roster. I think they would do very well against the larger division. I would love to seem them match up against Midland Trinity.

I would tap the brakes on the quality of Crosby this season- They may be good, but graduated their Senior Mr. Everything last season- Not sure what they look like with the loss of #13- He accounted for more than 86% of their total offense last season- Not saying they don't have a successor, but not sure who is going to fill that void.

Just wondering how you define "fall off the map" pup? 0-10, 2-8?
quote]

Castle won't be 0-10 or even 2-8 by virtue of their schedule. They play just three "quality" teams this year- FEAST, Seguin and Veritas. They will lose all three games. So going into playoffs they will be a number two seed and will lose in the second round with a 8-4 record. From the outside it looks like a great year but if you look closer they play a bunch of creampuffs. They will be lucky to make it past the second round of playoffs.

Back