Tioga Forfeits at Half Because of Bad Officiating???

Coach it's a given in a collision sport like football there are no certainties that injury will not occur. Athletes know it parents know it coaches know it officials know it and each and everyone is responsible for their partin any thing that causes injury. It's sad and sometimes castastrofic that athletes get injuries but all the safe guards in the game can't guarrantee that it's safe. We've played on fields that were not suitably safe and yes many times and more now with poorly and not properly trained experienced officials. The lower classicifations get the officials who aren't experience enough to call upper classifications and many times don't know the rules and generally 1st or 2nd yr officials inexperienced in how to handle a physical game. Inexperienced in how to handle concerned coaches and many times poor judgement on calls! Many have never played the game and it adds to a poor understanding of the game! The six man game is so wide open it's difficult to cover with experienced officials who know where and when to look for infractions couple that with critical voicing coaches and it quickly becomes a volatile situation as kids hear coaches and officials remarks toward each other and tempers get heated and nothing good comes as a result. I have no doubt that
Officiating was playing a role in this game as it does in many and the Tioga'sfirst game of the year was in my opinion poorly officiated but at the same time all are human and in competition a few ill spoken words from either can fuel a fire to a bonfire. As coaches we NEVER want to see any athlete injuries. Like I said earlier WE all have a part in it.

From the UIl Athletic Code that Granger shared. This pretty much says it all.

THE ATHLETIC CODE FOR COACHES.
(5) Not removing a team from a contest as a protest.

You were playing a high school football game with only 2 officials? Sounds like you should have never started that game in the first place. It doesn't take courage to avoid getting your kid hurt, just a modicum of common sense.

Johnny South":351g6kxo said:
rainjacks, I don't know where you come up with this 2 officials statement. You may want to double check that.

Read FCSA Football's post. Then read it again. I could be wrong but he makes reference to "the two officials".

Actually,
Im not surprised Tioga coach did that.
I wouldn't put it past most of the yahoos coaching these days.
No different than cancelling a scheduled game for fear of losing.
I got basically crucified on this site for trying to be funny,
perhaps kinda smart assed,
but on the job i took it very serious.
EVERY coach i ever worked for was this way.
No integrity.
Sad.

Leman's prolly right. UIL prolly won't do anything. I weep for what passes for quality coaching these days.

wths":2k0b1h5x said:
Here’s the kicker though. They were winning when they quit! I saw on the score thread they were up 28-6 or 28-10 or something like that before they forfeited. Who does that?!?!?!

Tioga was ahead 20-14 at the time.

Rainjaxtx, no slam intended to you but the game I mentioned with two officials was in 1985.
However, three weeks ago two Officals showed up and informed myself and the other coach that the
other two officials scheduled to call the game had been in an auto accident and one had to be transported
To the hospital. By your statement our decision should have been "cancel the game".
However, since it was their Homecoming and we had traveled 100 miles to play, we decided that two Officals would be ok, even though one said it was only his third game to officiate. (they were not TASO), There were some problems, they didn't know sixman rules, they were making calls they were totally out of position to make. Neither coach was happy, but it evened out in the long run.
Ultimately, the coaches made the decision to try and make the best of a bad situation and so did the Officals.
However, if the other coach, who I know and respect, would have come over and said "Hey coach, this is enough, let's call this over", I would have agreed and we would have driven home.
There is no One size fits all in all situations. I still say let's wait for all the facts.

jimbarola":2q7za662 said:
wths":2q7za662 said:
Here’s the kicker though. They were winning when they quit! I saw on the score thread they were up 28-6 or 28-10 or something like that before they forfeited. Who does that?!?!?!

Tioga was ahead 20-14 at the time.

Exactly my point! I have never heard of this.....ever! I’ve seen horribly officiated games but I hope there are severely extenuating circumstances for this one.

Tony Timones I believe is the uil lead official and could have been called. I know his number is listed on the uil web page and I think it’s his cell. Hopefully there’s a good reason and it doesn’t affect the kids for the rest of the season.

Surely the administrators of Tioga were at the game and could have prevented this fiasco. If not, they along with the coaches need to start looking for some other line of work!

FCSA football":ri9k7akw said:
Rainjaxtx, no slam intended to you but the game I mentioned with two officials was in 1985.
However, three weeks ago two Officals showed up and informed myself and the other coach that the
other two officials scheduled to call the game had been in an auto accident and one had to be transported
To the hospital. By your statement our decision should have been "cancel the game".
However, since it was their Homecoming and we had traveled 100 miles to play, we decided that two Officals would be ok, even though one said it was only his third game to officiate. (they were not TASO), There were some problems, they didn't know sixman rules, they were making calls they were totally out of position to make. Neither coach was happy, but it evened out in the long run.
Ultimately, the coaches made the decision to try and make the best of a bad situation and so did the Officals.
However, if the other coach, who I know and respect, would have come over and said "Hey coach, this is enough, let's call this over", I would have agreed and we would have driven home.
There is no One size fits all in all situations. I still say let's wait for all the facts.

Both coaches agreeing to suspend or cancel a game (which they can do at any time) is not the same thing as one coach deciding to quit playing out of protest.

BuffaloCountry":20fyix5w said:
Relax, Gentlemen... UIL will straighten this out.
Agree........... I'm trying to learn to not get my panties in a wad about things I can't control....... which is just about everything.........

BuffaloCountry":x3mmai9g said:
Relax, Gentlemen... UIL will straighten this out.

smokeyjoe53":x3mmai9g said:
Agree........... I'm trying to learn to not get my panties in a wad about things I can't control....... which is just about everything.........

Evidently, you two have forgotten why God created the internet - specifically internet message boards.

Back