Tioga Forfeits at Half Because of Bad Officiating???

Superjrj":1ks9ygrc said:
Crew could've been from the stands it makes no difference by starting the game with them you agree they are competent and then use them the entire game unless they are injured

I know that the TAPPS rules stated something like if you agree to begin the game with the officials supplied, then you cannot contest the result based on those officials. The time to be upset about who and what are the officials are is before the game. I'm thinking the folks at UIL probably aren't going to be happy about this.

Again, this is in private schools and back in the old days, we had a number of (non-football) officials groups in the San Antonio area for private schools. One was especially bad and only did a couple schools. I remember going to a volleyball game and hearing the ref address the home team kids by their first name, you know, "Sally, you can't lift the ball like that." Anyway, after an especially poorly called basketball game, I had enough. For the next few years, I would write a letter to the district scratching that officials organization off our list for any games involving our school. One of our district opponents always complained because she'd have to find someone other than their pals to call our games. A couple years later, they did a really stupid thing and we as a district decided not to use them for any district games.

TASO IS a UIL approved chapter so coaches had every opportunity to check them out. But UIL rules specifically state that once contest starts you have approved the officials. There are avenues to pursue If when you arrive and previously agreed officials aren't there but evidently not the case here. Coaches code of conduct specifically states you will not remove team from contest as a protest. So the seriousness of the event is with coach administrators and others in charge. Even if the officials were inept. I would not find it out of line if schools in other sports not schedule Tioga in any sport. It's a shame that situations like these arise with faults from both sides and the kids get caught in the middle. It's sends a negative message to athletes about authority not only from coaches but from officials.

I know nothing about Tioga or about what happened during the game. What I do know is every fan and every coach has seen a game where they thought the officiating was bad but I have never seen or heard of a school quitting cause of it. UIL needs to do something so other coaches don't start do the same thing. Tioga administration needs to also handle the issue. I dont believe in things not going my way so I'll take my ball and go home . Unfortunately our world has become this way.

I wasn’t there but I’ve seen both teams play and thesa has a good quarterback and spread back. I bet the quarterback was killing them.

Wow another athletic blow up! A good I'm superior to you and should beat you attitude that's gonna cost a coach his school and his players and upcoming players something they won't like. The coach violates his own signed code of conduct given by his administrators and the UIL to circumvent these situations. Superjrj has hit it right on the head. Those figures in authority (officials) inept and incompetent and coaches making a decision to violate his code of conduct make it two wrongs and neither right. A meeting with administrators and coaches from both sides with a mutual agreement to end the game may have been the plausible solution. Player safety is a major concern but coaches can adjust to do things that lessen that probability. Competitive sports has and will always be seen through the eyes of the aggressor! Coaches interactions and verbal communication towards officials cause some officials to lose train of thought and then each and every decision made by that official deemed incorrect by coaches. I was not there but coached and officiated for 30 years but experience speaking it happens. It's a travesty that instances like this happen and the losers are the kids

Tioga did the same sort of thing to us a couple of seasons ago...

The AD didn't like how our girls basketball team "beat up on them",so he called and cancelled our home and away matchup for the following season..."Don't think we will compete against you guys anymore" Way to teach the boys to play through adversity!!!

I wasn't at the game, but have frankly had the opportunity to play against the boys from THESA and while we have traditionally come out on the short end, few organizations are run with more class and better sportsmanship than what Dallas does with those boys.

I have seen this happen in basketball, but not in football. This was in the mid-70's at a basketball tourney. The coach got his second technical and was ejected. He didn't have an assistant so he gathered his team up and went home. I don't think there was any repercussions from UIL or the officiating chapter. But honestly, I wouldn't have known if there was. On further reflection, it could have been in the early 80's. If this had been a district ballgame there might be some serious penalties, but, a non-district game will warrant at most some type of probation.

There have been many sixman games called because one team could not field enough players to continue play. Those are also forfeits. I don't see this as being a whole lot different.

Blue Bird":iaxocbwx said:
There have been many sixman games called because one team could not field enough players to continue play. Those are also forfeits. I don't see this as being a whole lot different.

There are rules forbidding a team to continue play without a minimum number players. There is no such allowance in the rules for coaches to quit if they don't like how the game is being called.

I see coaches quitting and going home as completely different from not having enough kids to continue play. I'm pretty sure just about every TASO chapter in a 200 mile radius of Tioga would too.

A head coach's first and foremost responsibility is for the safety of those kids entrusted to him. Football is a dangerous sport in the best possible situation. That is a given. Furthermore, the liability rests, for the most part, on the head coach. It takes far more courage to take a stand than just "go along to get along".
What I'm seeing on this thread at this moment, is too much EGO, talking before the facts are known.
Granted this was a drastic step, but the situation and conditions may have demanded it.
Let the facts come out before you jump on the condemnation band wagon.
If you get a kid permanently hurt because of YOUR EGO thing,
YOU don't have to live with it, but THE KID may have to, for the rest of his life.

Here’s the kicker though. They were winning when they quit! I saw on the score thread they were up 28-6 or 28-10 or something like that before they forfeited. Who does that?!?!?!

Leman Saunders":d9avtwlv said:
I could be completely wrong on this but...Im pretty sure the UIL doesnt care at all, as it was a non-district game against a non-uil school.

UIL wants to know when any player is ejected, regardless of opponent. I'm not sure about coaches, but I do know several who have been ejected and had to make a trip to Austin.

Point being, the UIL is the nanny state. Never misunderestimate what they think is their business. People are using the safety of the players as a valid reason for the forfeit, but that's not the only reason they gave. Was it?

FCSA football":34iiwex1 said:
A head coach's first and foremost responsibility is for the safety of those kids entrusted to him. Football is a dangerous sport in the best possible situation. That is a given. Furthermore, the liability rests, for the most part, on the head coach. It takes far more courage to take a stand than just "go along to get along".
What I'm seeing on this thread at this moment, is too much EGO, talking before the facts are known.
Granted this was a drastic step, but the situation and conditions may have demanded it.
Let the facts come out before you jump on the condemnation band wagon.
If you get a kid permanently hurt because of YOUR EGO thing,
YOU don't have to live with it, but THE KID may have to, for the rest of his life.

So the kid's are in danger because of the bad officiating and it might all be the coaches fault and he could be held liable ?
You lost me coach.
I thought it was more about I don't like your rules, I'm taking my ball and going home.

It might have been about safety, it might have been, as you say, rules, but for a coach to believe that he should stop the game, there had to be some serious extenuating circumstances that caused the coach to make his decision. All I'm saying is before we make a knee jerk judgement, we wait for the facts and/or the film. If we weren't there and we didn't see it, we really have no basis in fact, to question or criticize what took place, and as Leaman said, under the circumstances described, I doubt the UIL cares. Additionally, I believe Tioga was 5-0, and ranked # 15 in Division 1. Whatever happened, it surely must have been important for the coach to scrap a thus far, perfect record.

FCSA football":39mh61hk said:
It might have been about safety, it might have been, as you say, rules, but for a coach to believe that he should stop the game, there had to be some serious extenuating circumstances that caused the coach to make his decision. All I'm saying is before we make a knee jerk judgement, we wait for the facts and/or the film. If we weren't there and we didn't see it, we really have no basis in fact, to question or criticize what took place, and as Leaman said, under the circumstances described, I doubt the UIL cares. Additionally, I believe Tioga was 5-0, and ranked # 15 in Division 1. Whatever happened, it surely must have been important for the coach to scrap a thus far, perfect record.
I see it this way as well. They were ahead in the game too then just packed up and left. What were the circumstances behind this..

This is a violation of UIL rules coaches code of conduct. Anytime a coach is in charge of his team he is subject to the rules first day of practice to last game.YES the uil will care!!!!! What they have to say will not be kind either. They protect the kids the integrity of the game and the officials.it doesn't matter who they played it was under UIL RULES. ANYONE WHO plays a uil team has to agree to play according to uil rules. So the coach and administrators from Tioga will have to explain WHY this was done and rest assured it won't be pleasant in front of state executive committee.officials are subject to the same also but have never seen an official severely disciplined! This is all on the Tioga coaching staff and Tioga administrators

What everyone who has commented on here about waiting for film and a plausible explanation is a mute point! The coach and subsequently the administration at Tioga are responsible for violating a UIL RULE. The coaches code of conduct which he had to sign specifically states that "he will not remove his team as a protest". Other avenues he could have pursued and maybe have been plausible would have been to have met with administrators from both sides along with the game officials and discussed his issues of the game. Even had no acceptable solution been made he violated his signed code of conduct when he withdrew his team. The officials will file a report along with the other school which will I suspect will offer varying views of what happened and none will favor Tioga. The one simple fact is that he violated his code of conduct. He may have sincerely felt his team was in harms way but other avenues would have been a better solution. His interaction of failing to shake the hands of the kids and coaches he defeated the first week is a telling of his arrogant character! I wish no harm to the athletes now and in the future but facts are facts. Let's hope that this life lesson will not go unheeded

In 1985 I was coaching a game that had turned into a cross between Roller Derby and Championship Wrestling.
At half time I went to talk about the lack of penalties for late hits, unnecessary roughness and unsportsmanlike conduct, and expressed my opinion that the game was out of control.The two officals looked at each other and then me and said "Hey coach, let the boys be boys, lighten up". With only a little over two minutes gone in the third quarter, we were on our way to another score when my half back was hit out of bounds, over by the bench. Even after all these years I can still see that play and it still haunts me. The result of that late unnecessary hit was catastrophic. The resulting injury ended a very talented athletes' football season, it also ended his entire athletic career. He still walks with a slight limp.
I wish that I would have had the courage to forfeit the game and take my kids home.

Back