The Fire

BigFan22

11-man fan
I have not lived in the Panhandle in several years, nor did I grow up there. But I did once call it home. A buddy of mine from Childress and I were texting, talking about how several teams this year have represented the Panhandle well. We got to discussing McLean and the Crockett kid, and he sent me an article that I have attached here. I heard about this when it occured, but just today realized Cody was Ben’s older brother. It’s a tear jerker, and it sounds all who were lost were outstanding people.

https://features.texasmonthly.com/edito ... fire-came/

Just had time to read the entire article and man, what courageous people they all were. Words can’t express what I am feeling, but I pray everyone has healed all they could and that no one has to endure such a tragedy.

I taught Cody his senior year in Algebra 2, and was still coaching in McLean when the fire happened. Cody's sister, Callie, was on my basketball team all 3 years I was at McLean. The Crockett family is the most hard working, kind family you will ever find. That accident was really hard on the entire community of McLean, but Cody's mom, Kristie, really assured everyone she was in contact with how at peace the family was during this terrible accident. Such a great family and Ben is as good of a young man as you will find as well.

bballcoach":3gtbk8zc said:
I taught Cody his senior year in Algebra 2, and was still coaching in McLean when the fire happened. Cody's sister, Callie, was on my basketball team all 3 years I was at McLean. The Crockett family is the most hard working, kind family you will ever find. That accident was really hard on the entire community of McLean, but Cody's mom, Kristie, really assured everyone she was in contact with how at peace the family was during this terrible accident. Such a great family and Ben is as good of a young man as you will find as well.

Wow, I’m so sorry. It’s tough losing young kids, just doesn’t sit right and feels out of order. I’m glad you have fond memories of Cody. I did not know him, but it sounds like he was loved.

Peace to the families and friends of Sloan, Sydney and Cody. Tough way to pass or have family or a friend pass. May the Lord bless all with that peace. Fire can be deadly as a car wreck.

Wow! What a well written, profound, emotional, and tribulational story! My thoughts and prayers go out to Cody’s, Sloan’s, and Sydney’s families. I grew up in a farming community just south of the Panhandle called Lenorah so I understand the breed of people depicted in this story. They are hard working, God fearing, neighborly people. With a few exceptions, they love people around them the way I would imagine Christ loving us. I’m sure Ben will be thinking of Cody on Wednesday as will his mom and dad. And, now that I know the story, I too will be thinking of him as I watch his little brother play in the greatest football game of his life. Thanks for posting!

It's emotionally difficult to read as you know the ending early on, but it sure puts things in perspective. I'm retired now, but remember coming home some days thinking I'd really had a bad day at work, when I actually didn't know what a bad day at work was. I'll be in Arlington for the games on Wednesday, hoping for two full games with no injuries, but without a favorite among the 4 teams. It will be hard not to cheer for Ben Crockett and Mclean after reading about this tragedy though.

I remember this tragedy well but did not make the connection till seeing this post. As I reread the article I misted up and not from the usual "dust in the air". Truly a powerful reminder of how precious life is.

Leman Saunders":9f3rid9f said:
Here is a follow up to that story in light of McLean's championship run.

https://www.texasmonthly.com/the-cultur ... R0Zg73F0xo

Thanks for sharing this Mr. Saunders. I live close enough to McLean to be able to tell you there's a higher power at work here in Ben's life. A tremendous story started unfolding almost two years ago on that horrific day and I have a feeling there's more to come. May God bless the Crockett and Everett families.

Back