The debate is over

First off, congrats to McLean on their win, it was well deserved.
The people saying taron quit must have been watching a different game, I didn’t see any quit in any of the Milford players.
For a team that the experts picked to lose by 45 there was never a doubt it would go all four quarters.
After watching the first game it was good to see an entertaining game.

MilfordInsider":25luv7q1 said:
McLean was the better team... Smith still the better player.

I have watched smith play in 3 different games this season and he is a good player.
He was NOT the better player TODAY.
Who is the better player look at the stats Crockett WON that battle smith didn't.
Look at who played their hearts out and WON Mclean did, it wasn't milford that's for sure.
I saw several times smith and other milford players basically stopped their pursuit of the Mclean runners.
It was very apparent they had given up.
milford might have won if they had played Follett today.
But your opponent was Mclean and your lost.
Now go home clean your wounds and stop trying to impress us with your
braggadocios attitude and let the rest of us enjoy milford getting their behinds kicked
100 to 70.

I'm a Milford guy & played in the late 80s and carry with me amazing pride for our teams that didn't make it this far. When I look back, it's the people & attitudes around me that made it so great. I love my Milford Bulldogs & always will. That being said, I have to say McLean (more like McStout) was incredibly impressive to watch. They were well coached, executed very well, minimal mental mistakes, high motor, aggressive & played like they had their eye on the prize with no shred of a doubt in their minds. I really love their manner & structure of play.

I'm not convinced that what we saw with the Milford boys was giving up or simply their style - as they seemed to play that way all season. It's hard for me to believe you can get to state with a "give up" attitude.

The tigers' mannerisms suggested they were there to win the title, & that never wavered. I'm hoping the bulldog boys felt the same, but have a different method of showing it - just as individuals with different personalities may present themselves in vastly contrasting methods.

It was an extremely entertaining game. Big hits, big plays, fairly clean game, instant replays??, competitive relatively late, amazing fans on both sides & incredible athletes. I'm proud & happy to see where the 6 man game is these days. Shout out to the UIL? for creating such a big stage for all these small town folks. But maybe not so much for the decision of the day & time. However, if that's what was necessary to land this game in the home of the most valuable sports franchise in history, I'd say they made a wise decision.

Congrats to players, coaches & fans from both teams. There were some epic lifelong memories created today.

Style ??? From where I was setting up behind milford bench on the second level.
That isn't style, smith gave up!!!!!!
Beat by a better team and Crockett is a much better player hands down.

Both players are great and had great games, with Crockett having an epic game on the biggest stage which takes nothing away from Taron or any other play (heck Cayden Mann had a great game and Damyon Woodwad did as well to name two others lost in the shuffle). Both teams played great

Enough about the best players. It's a team game/ win or lose. Good season for all the players who bonded with his brothers or sisters and played the game of six people on the field. Season greeting to all you knuckleheads!

videojoe":3cghgof4 said:
Is giving up 70 "playing great"?
Was waiting for this one, I would say against that Milford team in that game, yes...but I know McLean is probably disappointed that they allowed 70 and Milford for allowing 100...but yes I stand by that both teams played great.

In a boxing match we would say a boxer who got hit a lot but kept coming back with big blows and gets the decision, or even losing a decision to a heavily favored fighter that was expected to KO them, fought a great fight wouldnt we??

oldfolks":ydjd0e5q said:
Milford Insider and all others that think Taron was the best athletes on the field and in six-man this year. Wrong!!! He was maybe the third best athlete on the field and his brother might have pushed him to #4. If he would work on his attitude he might move to #2. He will make contact if it is forced on him. He made a couple of good tackles but he misses more than he made. Milford Insider, you have a lot of crow to eat so take a bite at a time and let the message board rest and try to gain a few friends for a change instead of making Milford Bulldog haters.
If you are going to make comparisons, the logical thing to do is reverse things.
If crocket played in Milford’s system, would he have the same numbers?
If smith played in mcleans system would he have the same numbers?
What are your thoughts?

Smith has been dominating for years. Can’t say that about Crockett yet. Had a hell of a team behind him. We shall see nexted year after losing most of his big blockers. Smith has been a pain in the butt for teams for at least three years. Haven’t heard of Crockett till this year. If he’s that good we will hear about him nexted year a lot because I seen when Crockett got stop they put it in the hands of there spread back to get first down that is nobody is talking about would be pissed if I was him.

Onagain, I'm spending the weekend at Jerry World watching football. I will get back to you on that thought, because it is a good thought, next week after I get over 12 football games.

All about the truth":c9d2357u said:
I will take the McLean football team. Over Milford. It takes a team to win not one kid.
True. McLean had the better team. McLean's defensive discipline allowed them to slow down TaRon's shake and bake scrambles. McLean scheme allowed them to be where they were needed all game long. TaRon broke some good runs but even TaRon can't do it all. He needed more help. Like a few timely blocks and a better offensive philosophy. Did you notice that on Milburn's spread set Taron was about 12 yards BEHIND the line of scrimmage on most offensive sets. So not only was TaRon carrying the burden of the offense, he was having to make an additional 12 yards on every play from scrimmage. When you have a bobble or a fumble in the backfield that is another 10 to 15 yards lost. I think Milford's coach had fell in love with everything TaRon to the detriment of the offense overall. I saw the same thing last year at the semifinal game between Strawn and Milford. Milford beat 99% of everybody they played because they could out score them but an average defense with a limited offensive scheme doomed them at Jerry's World.

Texlonghorn75":18nq4mtk said:
All about the truth":18nq4mtk said:
I will take the McLean football team. Over Milford. It takes a team to win not one kid.
True. McLean had the better team. McLean's defensive discipline allowed them to slow down TaRon's shake and bake scrambles. McLean scheme allowed them to be where they were needed all game long. TaRon broke some good runs but even TaRon can't do it all. He needed more help. Like a few timely blocks and a better offensive philosophy. Did you notice that on Milburn's spread set Taron was about 12 yards BEHIND the line of scrimmage on most offensive sets. So not only was TaRon carrying the burden of the offense, he was having to make an additional 12 yards on every play from scrimmage. When you have a bobble or a fumble in the backfield that is another 10 to 15 yards lost. I think Milford's coach had fell in love with everything TaRon to the detriment of the offense overall. I saw the same thing last year at the semifinal game between Strawn and Milford. Milford beat 99% of everybody they played because they could out score them but an average defense with a limited offensive scheme doomed them at Jerry's World.

That, unfortunately, is one of the drawbacks to running the spread because if something does go wrong you're at least 10 yards behind the line. An offensive scheme switch might have done them better and with as elusive as Smith was all game it could have made a difference but we'll never know.

The spread can be a problem but it also create problems for the defense.
They have longer runs to the ball and your safety has to decide quick to come up, play the dump pass or help on a receiver.
It also exposes speed, when Damyan to a 2 yard pass and beat the 2 best defender to the corner and took it 51 yards for a td, he showed that defensive speed wasn’t going to match his.
That play goes nowhere if you run a basic offensive set.
It can hurt you or help you.
With the speed Milford has they want to take advantage of that.

Mclean out ran and caught up to milford players all day. #1 was very very shifty quick side to side but mclean matched there speed very well...

I just wanted to say for starters Congrat's to McLean on winning. It's really special when a team that's been playing the game for many years finally wins it all. Something the dad's, grandad's, uncles, cousins and their older friends never did. They and all the other fans get to savor what you did along with you. Memories of a great accomplishment that last the rest of your and their lives and inspire future generations to aspire to that level. We moved to Strawn in 2001 because my wife was from there in her youth (a jv cheerleader!). Getting to experience 2003 as a fan up close in a small town is one of the most memorable experiences in my life. Enjoy.

Milford, it hurts now but you were one of only two teams (in your division) to play on the big stage this year. You scored 70 points in the state game. That's outstanding, almost twice (38) what any other team scored on McLean this year. NO other team came within 30 points of them. Strawn lost by 33, Garden City by 38, White Deer by 38. All the rest were 45's.

Back