TaRon and Crockett

Johnny South":y4yv0gs0 said:
I love our six man version of the game much more that the 11 man kind. For us tiny school folks, it is six man or no football at all! Sometimes we get caught up in how good a player is in our game, and start thinking about how far one could go in the 11 man world!?
I watched three games yesterday at ATT stadium. 5A D1, and both 6A games. After their warmups, I was thinking about, if I could just go through their subs on the sideline, kids who never even got a good look at the field much less got to play a down, and pick 5 or 6 of them for a team......! People on this site would be saying that it is the team of the ages, never one better, and all of the players are D1 prospects!
Sometimes we need to go look around to put things into perspective. Our six man game means a lot to us out here, but sometimes we do get a little carried away. A BIG fish in a little pond, a tempest in a teapot? Maybe, but it is our pond and our teapot!

Not really. On the Aledo team of 09, there were two six man transfers who started varsity their first year. They were good athletes, but you’d be shocked. 5A and 6A ball is not dominated by All Stars. Of course, lots of teams have an All Star or 2, but the rest of the kids are just decent. Trust me.

BigFan22":12t1k3k5 said:
Johnny South":12t1k3k5 said:
I love our six man version of the game much more that the 11 man kind. For us tiny school folks, it is six man or no football at all! Sometimes we get caught up in how good a player is in our game, and start thinking about how far one could go in the 11 man world!?
I watched three games yesterday at ATT stadium. 5A D1, and both 6A games. After their warmups, I was thinking about, if I could just go through their subs on the sideline, kids who never even got a good look at the field much less got to play a down, and pick 5 or 6 of them for a team......! People on this site would be saying that it is the team of the ages, never one better, and all of the players are D1 prospects!
Sometimes we need to go look around to put things into perspective. Our six man game means a lot to us out here, but sometimes we do get a little carried away. A BIG fish in a little pond, a tempest in a teapot? Maybe, but it is our pond and our teapot!

Not really. On the Aledo team of 09, there were two six man transfers who started varsity their first year. They were good athletes, but you’d be shocked. 5A and 6A ball is not dominated by All Stars. Of course, lots of teams have an All Star or 2, but the rest of the kids are just decent. Trust me.

You can always find an exception to a rule if you look hard enough or dig deep enough. But you still have the rule.

FCSA football":1bh6wnub said:
Some of you “experts” think that D1 is the Holy Grail for sixman players. If not then D2, D3 are almost failures. No one gives any consideration or creedance to JuCo’s. In fact that is probably a perfect place for six man players to go and learn the 11 man version, work out, fill out and get better and move on If they are good enough. The possibilities to be successful are greatly improved. Even the so called recognized Experts give no recognition and have no understanding that for all but a very few this is probably the best avenue for sixman players. But it doesn't sound exotic enough or mystical enough to give the pontificators credibility. Basically it just shows how naive they really are, just like THE GREAT OZ.
The more of these pontificators predictions i read, the more i LMAO ! :)
Just saying.......

While I am not really sure who or what you are talking about, I apologize if my post upset you that much.

You have to be a cream of the crop sixman player to have any chance to play college ball, period, end of statement.

BigFan is correct.

I’ve posted this on here before: we had a kid on the team a number of years back (very average TAPPS 6-man school) that played his freshman year - but very little - & the following year transferred to the local public school (DISD 5a). He chose not to play football his sophomore & junior years, decided to give it a try as a senior. Ended up being 1st-team All-District TE. He was just a good, hard-working kid. Didn’t grow 8 inches or put on 80 pounds, no special transformation. Likewise we had a handful of kids come the other way (big public to small private). They were solid players for us but didn’t become All-State like you might think they would.

Point of all this is as part of the smallest level of football in this state, we tend to over-rate many large public school players or automatically assume they would dominate in 6-man. There’s no doubt a number of 2nd & 3rd teamers standing on the sideline this weekend at the 5a & 6a championships could be good to great 6-man players. It just may not be as many as you think!

One _pac2018":s3249unl said:
I don’t think either one could go d1 but that’s my opinion

A LOT more goes into that than people think. I got a look at two D1 programs, and the standards are unbelievable. Athletics are only 50% of it. 90% of D2 players could play D1, but the academic standards and overall work load sort them out. Lucky for me, the athletic standards put me in D2 haha. We always hear about the all stars of D1, but there’s 40 other guys suited up who made the cut. I actually went to a pro day work out, and that is where the separation of athletes becomes very apparent. I knew immediately I did not have it.

A couple guys on here act like Crockett is slow or something. Did anyone notice him running AWAY from the “track speed” Milford supposedly had last Wednesday. He literally ran away from them. He is actually pretty fast. To play D-1 or D-2 ball, he will have to get faster, I agree, but he absolutely has that potential. The kid runs track, and trains hard in the off season. It won’t surpirse me at all if he is 215 lbs and running a 4.5 40 by the start of next season.

EasyE43":3b74fhgq said:
A couple guys on here act like Crockett is slow or something. Did anyone notice him running AWAY from the “track speed” Milford supposedly had last Wednesday. He literally ran away from them. He is actually pretty fast. To play D-1 or D-2 ball, he will have to get faster, I agree, but he absolutely has that potential. The kid runs track, and trains hard in the off season. It won’t surpirse me at all if he is 215 lbs and running a 4.5 40 by the start of next season.
Crockett has good speed for a player his size. That does not mean he is fast. Give it a rest. If he was so fast how did he place in track meets last year? Did he even compete in sprints, 200 meters, 400 meters? He is a good athlete. He can get bigger and stronger but probably not any faster. Yes I think he can play college ball. Division #3 somewhere where a coach will take care of him. Linebacker is what I see. Not big enough to play O or D line. Could grow into a tight end. Certainly not fast enough to play defensive back or running back. I don't think you played football.

I played bud. Lol. Promise. 11 man. But anyways, Crockett actually did run track last year but was bothered by a pulled groin the entire track season. He still ran his ass off and competed with his team and they were very very close to making to state in the 400x100 and the 800X200 relays as well as running the individual 200. He will run track again and nobody will out work the kid in the off season. I’m not saying he’s headed for sure D-1, he may not, but the kid can play at any level in high school and I def think he will get some big looks.

EasyE43":a3w1u68j said:
I played bud. Lol. Promise. 11 man. But anyways, Crockett actually did run track last year but was bothered by a pulled groin the entire track season. He still ran his ass off and competed with his team and they were very very close to making to state in the 400x100 and the 800X200 relays as well as running the individual 200. He will run track again and nobody will out work the kid in the off season. I’m not saying he’s headed for sure D-1, he may not, but the kid can play at any level in high school and I def think he will get some big looks.

Ah yes the classic 400x100 and my favorite the 800x200.. sometimes they take a while but we’ll worth it

Sorry Longhorn, i can't agree with your overall assessment of Crockett. I can tell you for sure that one college coach with a pretty good record thinks Crockett has D1 potential.
As far as the negitive neds and sixman boo birds, ever hear of Maverick Mc Ivor? Sixman to 6A, San Angelo Central where he led them to the play offs his first year. He accounted for 70% of their TOTAL offense?
My, my, my ! How soon we forget !
Best to let the world think you are a fool than to open your mouth (or type on your keyboard) and remove all doubt.
( not you Longhorn or Tebow in my humble opinion you guys are pretty sharp.)
Just calling them as i see them........,

I think both these athletes will be able to play college ball at some level, at which level I don't know? Someone made a good statement about taking the juco route which would probably benefit somebody from sixman well. It would allow them to learn the 11man game and brush up on some techniques. Now as far as some athlete going from 6man straight to D1, I don't think its impossible. It's going to take several factors for someone from 6man to go D1. For example just cause somebody has 4,000 yards rushing and 55 tds will not be enough, especially if that person is 5'5 and 140 pounds. Size, stats, and speed, is what it will take for somebody to go D1. When I'm talking about speed I'm not just talking about 40 yard dash speed but track speed. Have a player that has great times in the 100, 200, and 400 that competes with any classification in high school and you'll have D1 coaches calling.

FCSA football":1hbpuele said:
Sorry Longhorn, i can't agree with your overall assessment of Crockett. I can tell you for sure that one college coach with a pretty good record thinks Crockett has D1 potential.
As far as the negitive neds and sixman boo birds, ever hear of Maverick Mc Ivor? Sixman to 6A, San Angelo Central where he led them to the play offs his first year. He accounted for 70% of their TOTAL offense?
Best to let the world think you are a fool than to open your mouth (or type on your keyboard) and remove all doubt.
Just calling them as i see them........,
Sounds like he is a extraordinary athlete. Also sounds like his parents wanted him to be seen by college coaches and show them he can play the eleven man game. So what did they do? Enrolled him in a 6A school. If you think your kid can get a college scholarship to play football that is what you have to do.

FCSA football said:
Just calling them as i see them........,[/quote ]My assessment of Crockett is one that protects the player. College football is a Meat Grinder that takes healthy young players that chews them up and spits them out.This glory of playing D1 football is great but its best to play where his abiliites would be appreciated. Two my teammates from Strawn played Junior College football for a short while said the practices were terrible and got the hell beat out of them. I'm talking about tough physically strong players too. It will not be 150 lb linebackers tackling in any where in college football. D1 football is not going to be easier. Unless there are college coaches interested in protecting and investing in certain athletes players are a dime a dozen regardless of origin. Players lose favor easily in the college system because of the urgency to win. Recently Toneil Carter, running back at UT announced that he was transferring. It did not work out for him there and he was blue chip,highly recruited and did not make the grade . Let's not lose sight that the long term benefit of any athlete regards of sport is to get an education. Not just an education but a degree. Arthritis doesn't play favorites even at age thirty.

Actually you see more Sixman players at the FCS level or lower divisions, including junior colleges, and to be honest probably better learning environment.

smokeyjoe53":2dti9j6r said:
In McIvor’s case it doesn’t hurt his chances that his dad played QB for UT...............
Came off the bench with Texas behind by 13 and led them to 45 unanswered points aganist those dreaded Aggies if I remember correctly. By the by that’s what his father did. Transferred from 6 man to Fort Stockton to Texas.

Ta’Ron Smith and Ben Crocket both can play D1 football.
Ta’Rons quickness and elusiveness would make him a perfect Slot Receiver. Ben Crocket is an athlete, I think he can play Safety, Outsiders backer, or Tight End.

I’ve also seen other 6man players over recent years who have college level skills.
Key Davis - Oakwood
Tanner Hodgkins- Strawn
Carlos Villanueva- Strawn
Hutton Lusty -Richland
Henderson - McLean
Ricky Pendleton- Milford
Jasean Brooks - Milford
Torrey Hoover - Coolidge
Jordan Brown - Coolidge

There are a lot of 6man kids who can play college ball and make awesome skill position players. When you hear people say “D1” we aren’t talking about Alabama, LSU, Texas A&M, but the smaller D1 schools like SFA, SHSU, PVAMU, Grambling State, etc.
I watched all 12 State Championship games and there’s no doubt that all of the players I listed above ^ could have played in and made a difference in all of the 2A-4A championship games. There are some really fine football players at the 1A level.

Playing at any college level is awesome. My daughter went to UMHB so I got to watch alot of games. Man those guys can play some ball and that is DIII.

Back