TaRon and Crockett

BigFan22

11-man fan
A friend I played college ball with was asking me about the potential for either of these men to play some college ball, and I thought I might post some thoughts here! I never played six man, only crowded field. I had the opportunity to play D2 college ball, and was only average there. This is not a post from an “expert’s” point of view, only thoughts from someone who has been there and gone through the process.

TaRon is a heck of an athlete, but will have to pick a position if he wants to play at a college level. And QB isn’t it. He has a decent arm, but doesn’t have the height, and he will definitely have to get pickier about his throws. He definitely might fit in an a running back, but they’re going to put 20 pounds on him and he will have to maintain speed. His running style will change in crowded field. If he gets really downhill oriented, I think he has some potential.

Crockett is only a junior and is blessed with capable running ability. Outstanding balance, strong build, but average speed at the college level. Honestly, I think you could put 15 pounds on him and have a heck of a linebacker but I don’t see him as a college level running back.

I have been told Taron has two DI schools looking at him, one in state and one out of state

Greg Tepper was talking with me up in the press box about how DIII and DII school should be recruiting the heck out of the best 6man players...a lot of hard working talented kids out there that could play somewhere

Milford's Jasean Brooks needs to be getting some looks too IMO

Crockett could play somewhere, Henderson could play somewhere. Probably a couple other McLean guys and for sure in basketball in college I bet!

I think Crockett will end up being a linebacker in college. He is a great tackler and tough as nails. I will be anxious to see how much bigger/faster he gets over the offseason. Man, he will not be fun to tackle next year.

Leman, you must believe anything that is told to you. Tyrone does not have any D1 offers, or any other sixman player for that matter. And by offers , I mean a scholarship to play football. If you want to see D1 football players that get scholarships, you need to be at AT&T yesterday and today. People throw around the phrase D1 too easily, D1 recruits are elite athletes that face someone in practice that is equally talented as them or better. Every day, even offseason. And most of them, their parents have personal trainers for them since jr. high. No D1 coach is going to risk a scholarship, which they are limited with, on a sixman player. Sorry just the facts. So parents and even coaches, if you think you have a D1 player , and they want to try to play at the D1 level, you better enroll them in a 5A-6A school. And even then, the chances of getting a D1 scholarship is slim.

Mexican Englishman":11wnl4eu said:
Leman, you must believe anything that is told to you. Tyrone does not have any D1 offers, or any other sixman player for that matter. And by offers , I mean a scholarship to play football. If you want to see D1 football players that get scholarships, you need to be at AT&T yesterday and today. People throw around the phrase D1 too easily, D1 recruits are elite athletes that face someone in practice that is equally talented as them or better. Every day, even offseason. And most of them, their parents have personal trainers for them since jr. high. No D1 coach is going to risk a scholarship, which they are limited with, on a sixman player. Sorry just the facts. So parents and even coaches, if you think you have a D1 player , and they want to try to play at the D1 level, you better enroll them in a 5A-6A school. And even then, the chances of getting a D1 scholarship is slim.

That’s where you are wrong because Taron has D1 coaches talking about offering him! Just because kids in your town don’t get D1 offers don’t mean other kids won’t!

While I won't comment on Crockett since I have never seen him play, I think TaRon could play QB at the college level. Although he will never be Peyton Manning, the spread has made height less important. Could he be Johnny Maziel or Russell Wilson? I give him a shot because I guess I like his arm more than most on here. He will, however, have to learn to throw with anticipation from the pocket, 11 man Xs and Os, and to play hard every play. If not, I think slot receiver is his only other position as he isn't thick enough to play RB and does not like to hit enough to play DB.

This is just a question. Is Taron a hard enough worker to play college ball, mich less D-1?? I’m not taking anything away from the kid, he was amazing in a 6-Man game with a lot of open space. However, in 11 man, there won’t be near as much open space and I didn’t see him as a physical player at all. I think he can definitely play D-2 or NAIA though.

EasyE43":bmtaifnk said:
This is just a question. Is Taron a hard enough worker to play college ball, mich less D-1?? I’m not taking anything away from the kid, he was amazing in a 6-Man game with a lot of open space. However, in 11 man, there won’t be near as much open space and I didn’t see him as a physical player at all. I think he can definitely play D-2 or NAIA though.

I just meant in the Johnny Manziel or Russell Wilson model, not that he would actually be as good as them. Nor am I saying he would be as crazy as Johnny Manziel off the field haha!

TaRon has a shot at D1 probably as slot receiver. He has a special talent that can't be taught, quickness and elusiveness. He could play a lot of positions at DII and III but probably not QB. His size won't let him take D1 hits as RB and he is really a natural offensive player moreso than defense.

Crockett will be interesting to watch. He will have D1 size but not speed or quickness. Looks to me like a prototypical safety but not sure about D1

Two very talented hard working kids wish the best for them.

Greatest95":eeh58ddn said:
Mexican Englishman":eeh58ddn said:

That’s where you are wrong because Taron has D1 coaches talking about offering him! Just because kids in your town don’t get D1 offers don’t mean other kids won’t!
Name the D1 schools that are offering a scholarship.

wrenchman540":30u7x8e4 said:
TaRon has a shot at D1 probably as slot receiver. He has a special talent that can't be taught, quickness and elusiveness. He could play a lot of positions at DII and III but probably not QB. His size won't let him take D1 hits as RB and he is really a natural offensive player moreso than defense.

Crockett will be interesting to watch. He will have D1 size but not speed or quickness. Looks to me like a prototypical safety but not sure about D1

Two very talented hard working kids wish the best for them.

Honestly, neither player is D1 material YET. Get them in a program and you never know. Crockett has the quickness, and if he can retain speed with mass he would probably be as fast as most linebackers I played against. But he’s going to need to bulk up. He absolutely is not a safety. No way. The average D2 safety is a much faster athlete. TaRon would probably be a great fit at slot, especially if he gets in with a pass oriented offense.

Some of you “experts” think that D1 is the Holy Grail for sixman players. If not then D2, D3 are almost failures. No one gives any consideration or creedance to JuCo’s. In fact that is probably a perfect place for six man players to go and learn the 11 man version, work out, fill out and get better and move on If they are good enough. The possibilities to be successful are greatly improved. Even the so called recognized Experts give no recognition and have no understanding that for all but a very few this is probably the best avenue for sixman players. But it doesn't sound exotic enough or mystical enough to give the pontificators credibility. Basically it just shows how naive they really are, just like THE GREAT OZ.
The more of these pontificators predictions i read, the more i LMAO ! :)
Just saying.......

FCSA football":3hl1ix5f said:
Some of you “experts” think that D1 is the Holy Grail for sixman players. If not then D2, D3 are almost failures. No one gives any consideration or creedance to JuCo’s. In fact that is probably a perfect place for six man players to go and learn the 11 man version, work out, fill out and get better and move on If they are good enough. The possibilities to be successful are greatly improved. Even the so called recognized Experts give no recognition and have no understanding that for all but a very few this is probably the best avenue for sixman players. But it doesn't sound exotic enough or mystical enough to give the pontificators credibility. Basically it just shows how naive they really are, just like THE GREAT OZ.
Just saying.......

I will say that when I learn that DI schools (UNT & Grambling State) are LOOKING at a 6man player and thinking thats great and is a good thing, then ya I guess Im naive for being happy for the kid and wishing him the best

Not talking about you Leman. Read this thread though and you’ll find a fixation on D1. Yes its great for the few who make it to Di upon graduation. I’m speaking about the majority that don’t and yet still want an education AND play football. All kids deserve that opportuniy, wouldn’t you agree ?
It’s just another way to get there. If you need an example of using the JuCo route to get to D1, you might think of Cam Newton.
Just saying........

I love our six man version of the game much more that the 11 man kind. For us tiny school folks, it is six man or no football at all! Sometimes we get caught up in how good a player is in our game, and start thinking about how far one could go in the 11 man world!?
I watched three games yesterday at ATT stadium. 5A D1, and both 6A games. After their warmups, I was thinking about, if I could just go through their subs on the sideline, kids who never even got a good look at the field much less got to play a down, and pick 5 or 6 of them for a team......! People on this site would be saying that it is the team of the ages, never one better, and all of the players are D1 prospects!
Sometimes we need to go look around to put things into perspective. Our six man game means a lot to us out here, but sometimes we do get a little carried away. A BIG fish in a little pond, a tempest in a teapot? Maybe, but it is our pond and our teapot!

Leman Saunders":1oe2twoe said:
FCSA football":1oe2twoe said:
Just saying.......

I will say that when I learn that DI schools (UNT & Grambling State) are LOOKING at a 6man player and thinking thats great and is a good thing, then ya I guess Im naive for being happy for the kid and wishing him the best
Army, Navy, and Air Force have been recruiting Aquilla kids for years. Where is the love?

Back