TaRon and Crockett

Really, until they prove themselves on the crowded 11 man field it’s all speculation. Both are great athletes and both dominate on the proportionally much larger 6 man field, against players that they are typically much larger than. Once you step on the 11 man field it all changes. You’re going to have players just as big ( most bigger), with just as much athleticism coming after you play after play after play. You’re just another high school hot shot. It’s a level of contact that most 6man players are not accustomed. NOT saying I don’t wish Ta’Ron well and Ben well after his senior year. Just remember, even the great and mighty Tyler E. couldnt cut it at tiny Sul Ros.
Just out of curiosity, what’s he doing now? Coaching somewhere?

I know without a doubt that either could play at the next level, even D1. However, to be able to play there, they are going to have to be willing work. Have also been some six man studs play DII in the recent past. This site talked about one of the richie boys playing for Midwestern State. Also, a young man from Lefors named Keenan Lott played on Northwestern Oklahoma State where he eventually became a starter. He is still there coaching. Talent and ability will get anyone to a certain level. HEART will determine whether any of them are successful or not. Just ask Rudy Rudiger!!!!!

bigbadwolf":3ccwj6fw said:
Really, until they prove themselves on the crowded 11 man field it’s all speculation. Both are great athletes and both dominate on the proportionally much larger 6 man field, against players that they are typically much larger than. Once you step on the 11 man field it all changes. You’re going to have players just as big ( most bigger), with just as much athleticism coming after you play after play after play. You’re just another high school hot shot. It’s a level of contact that most 6man players are not accustomed. NOT saying I don’t wish Ta’Ron well and Ben well after his senior year. Just remember, even the great and mighty Tyler E. couldnt cut it at tiny Sul Ros.

I got to watch TE play. I was actually one year out of college, and it was one of the first six man games I watched. At no point did I believe he was even D2 talent. Ethridge was an outstanding athlete, but his size absolutely did not translate to college ball. I elusiveness and bombing footballs does not make you college material. If I was a coach, I could key on Crockett and TaRon for specific position. Ethridge did not fit in any skill position.

Mexican Englishman":1483v95z said:
Leman, you must believe anything that is told to you. Tyrone does not have any D1 offers, or any other sixman player for that matter. And by offers , I mean a scholarship to play football. If you want to see D1 football players that get scholarships, you need to be at AT&T yesterday and today. People throw around the phrase D1 too easily, D1 recruits are elite athletes that face someone in practice that is equally talented as them or better. Every day, even offseason. And most of them, their parents have personal trainers for them since jr. high. No D1 coach is going to risk a scholarship, which they are limited with, on a sixman player. Sorry just the facts. So parents and even coaches, if you think you have a D1 player , and they want to try to play at the D1 level, you better enroll them in a 5A-6A school. And even then, the chances of getting a D1 scholarship is slim.

If a kid is talented and athletic enough, doesn't matter the size of the school he plays for. Talent is talent and most D1 coaches would love the smaller school kids because of their worth ethic and morals. My son has a personal trainer outside of his normal athletic schedule and he hasn't even hit junior high yet...I've had D1 coaches speak to me about him and they've all said to keep him in 6 man because things are changing and these kids are starting to be noticed. Yes playing for a larger HS will have them more prepared for what is expected at the D1 level, but as long as they have the talent and athleticism, the work ethic and just overall humblemness some of these small town kids have beats that bigger school experience. It is easier for these kids to get exposure than it was 20 years ago. Some roads may be off the beaten path; spend a year at a D2 or d3 school first to adjust, then if things work out get an offer. Remember, it was only a few years ago they were playing the 6 man state games in Abilene...give it some time and I believe the ones who work hard enough will earn the respect they deserve, and players like Smith and Crockett will be the ones that helped get that going.

swires":220jr9t4 said:
I know without a doubt that either could play at the next level, even D1. However, to be able to play there, they are going to have to be willing work. Have also been some six man studs play DII in the recent past. This site talked about one of the richie boys playing for Midwestern State. Also, a young man from Lefors named Keenan Lott played on Northwestern Oklahoma State where he eventually became a starter. He is still there coaching. Talent and ability will get anyone to a certain level. HEART will determine whether any of them are successful or not. Just ask Rudy Rudiger!!!!!

It's Trace Richey, he plays football and basketball at Wayland Baptist University

BigFan22":2slti5y4 said:
bigbadwolf":2slti5y4 said:

I got to watch TE play. I was actually one year out of college, and it was one of the first six man games I watched. At no point did I believe he was even D2 talent. Ethridge was an outstanding athlete, but his size absolutely did not translate to college ball. I elusiveness and bombing footballs does not make you college material. If I was a coach, I could key on Crockett and TaRon for specific position. Ethridge did not fit in any skill position.

With all due respect, you don't have that keen of an eye if you can't see where TE would play in 11-man. TE would be one HELL of a strong safety; it is not BS that he was better on offense than defense.

I will agree he did not look that physically impressive, at least what you would expect from a QB, but he was like 5'8 180ish with good speed, great quickness, and A LOT of horse power. In basketball, many couldn't even dribble against him.

TE'S team could have used him as a gadget WR/Wildcat QB in some situations as well.

TebowTime15":2ylu1v3z said:
BigFan22":2ylu1v3z said:
bigbadwolf":2ylu1v3z said:

With all due respect, you don't have that keen of an eye if you can't see where TE would play in 11-man. TE would be one HELL of a strong safety; it is not BS that he was better on offense than defense.

I will agree he did not look that physically impressive, at least what you would expect from a QB, but he was like 5'8 180ish with good speed, great quickness, and A LOT of horse power. In basketball, many couldn't even dribble against him.

TE'S team could have used him as a gadget WR/Wildcat QB in some situations as well.

Maybe. But, he didn’t make the cut.

BigFan22":27fpyr0w said:
TebowTime15":27fpyr0w said:
BigFan22":27fpyr0w said:
bigbadwolf":27fpyr0w said:

While I am not 100% sure about this, I think TE chose not to play college ball for personal reasons. He went to Sul Ross as a freshman and did well, at least what I was told, in terms of football. I do know, however, you could get in his head in basketball by talking about how great he was in football.

Although I am not going to pyscho analyze the guy, I think he had the talent to play D3 college ball. Taron, Crockett, TE, and everyone else have to decide if they really want to do it or not. My dad played college ball on a bad D1 team and worked his butt off with little reward; In fact, he wanted to major in computer science, but the coaches told him it was a too hard of a major for a football player.

Both outstanding players
Wanted to say congratulations to Ben Crockett and his blockers for setting the record for rushing, 9, TD's in a state game. Saw Walker Tippie score 8 for Richland Springs a few years back. Pretty big statement to me, I've always admired the ability to dominate with rushing. Though I'm nobody to really know much, played 11 man 3 years.

Brent Henderson was the same size and weight as Ben. Brent played D1 football for UTEP and even had a workout for the Cowboys. 6-man kids can and will do it. Hard work and strong character go along ways in life. Oh, and Maverick was getting looked at by Tech before he went to Central by the way. He's one heck of a kid and is making West Texas proud.

TheAmericanDream":13udym96 said:
Brent Henderson was the same size and weight as Ben. Brent played D1 football for UTEP and even had a workout for the Cowboys. 6-man kids can and will do it. Hard work and strong character go along ways in life. Oh, and Maverick was getting looked at by Tech before he went to Central by the way. He's one heck of a kid and is making West Texas proud.

Who is Maverick?

FCSA football":11py1kjr said:
Some of you “experts” think that D1 is the Holy Grail for sixman players. If not then D2, D3 are almost failures. No one gives any consideration or creedance to JuCo’s. In fact that is probably a perfect place for six man players to go and learn the 11 man version, work out, fill out and get better and move on If they are good enough. The possibilities to be successful are greatly improved. Even the so called recognized Experts give no recognition and have no understanding that for all but a very few this is probably the best avenue for sixman players. But it doesn't sound exotic enough or mystical enough to give the pontificators credibility. Basically it just shows how naive they really are, just like THE GREAT OZ.
The more of these pontificators predictions i read, the more i LMAO ! :)
Just saying.......

Often times, JuCo is FAR more competitive than the D2 or D3 schools. I know of players that were given scholarships at D3's that would never have made the team at the JuCo I coached at. I had 5 receivers that went on to play at D1 schools (OSU, TCU, Washington, and Montana.) You don't goto a JuCo to learn the game... you go there to prove to D1 schools that you deserve a spot on their squad. I've coached in the 6man world, and I've coached on the crowded field, both at the HS and JuCo levels.

FCSA football":h6t4o6zw said:
Not talking about you Leman. Read this thread though and you’ll find a fixation on D1. Yes its great for the few who make it to Di upon graduation. I’m speaking about the majority that don’t and yet still want an education AND play football. All kids deserve that opportuniy, wouldn’t you agree ?
It’s just another way to get there. If you need an example of using the JuCo route to get to D1, you might think of Cam Newton.
Just saying........

Also, Cam Newton played at Florida first, transferred to Blynn, and then to Auburn. Just saying.......

Blinn is spellled B L I N N,
Yes he played at Flordia, he appeared in a total of 6 games.
In 5 games in 2007 he competed a total of 5 out of 10 passes as a back up for TimTebow. He was injured in the first game of 2008 and was redshirted.
In 2009 At B L I N N he threw for 2,833 yards and led B L I N N to the NJCAA NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP.
He evidently gained A LITTLE experience and learned enough while there to go on to Auburn and lead them to an NCAA NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP and win the Heisman Trophy and became the NUMBER ONE NFL draft pick.
I guess you guys are right. Going to JUCO’s to learn the game and get experience is just worthless and a waste of time!
Yep, worthless........
By the way why be anonymous? No guts, No glory !
Just saying..........

Honestly, I think FSCA and Coach A are both right. Cam Newton screwed up, went to Blinn, and I am sure he did learn something from that experience. With that said, however, I think there is less team unity on a junior college team than any other level since most guys are worried about getting themselves to a DI program like Coach A stated above.

I am no expert about the levels of college, but I think DIII is clearly inferior to DII and Juco because they cannot give scholarships. There might be more of a debate between DII and Juco.

TebowTime15":20gl0oz0 said:
BigFan22":20gl0oz0 said:
TebowTime15":20gl0oz0 said:
BigFan22":20gl0oz0 said:
bigbadwolf":20gl0oz0 said:

While I am not 100% sure about this, I think TE chose not to play college ball for personal reasons. He went to Sul Ross as a freshman and did well, at least what I was told, in terms of football. I do know, however, you could get in his head in basketball by talking about how great he was in football.

Although I am not going to pyscho analyze the guy, I think he had the talent to play D3 college ball. Taron, Crockett, TE, and everyone else have to decide if they really want to do it or not. My dad played college ball on a bad D1 team and worked his butt off with little reward; In fact, he wanted to major in computer science, but the coaches told him it was a too hard of a major for a football player.

When I was going to UT back in 1976-1979, there was one football player in Mechanical Engineering. He was a second string offensive tackle and he told me there was a lot of pressure on all players from the coaches to switch to easier majors. I seem to remember he also told me there were 4-5 other guys in engineering or the sciences. None were starters.

I wish these and any other 6-man athlete the best. While very difficult, it is possible. I'm not saying that my brothers were DI college standouts, but they walked on. Then the elder earned a full athletic scholarship. The younger was offered a scholarship, but chose to stay with the Bill Gates Millennium Scholarship $$$. They all graduated from Trinidad... See links.

Quincy Jenkins
https://baylorbears.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=2079

Desmond Jenkins
https://baylorbears.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=1962

Ahmad Jenkins
https://baylorbears.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=1800

cdjenkins":y8r8i6ao said:
I wish these and any other 6-man athlete the best. While very difficult, it is possible. I'm not saying that my brothers were DI college standouts, but they walked on. Then the elder earned a full athletic scholarship. The younger was offered a scholarship, but chose to stay with the Bill Gates Millennium Scholarship $$$. They all graduated from Trinidad... See links.

Quincy Jenkins
https://baylorbears.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=2079

Desmond Jenkins
https://baylorbears.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=1962

Ahmad Jenkins
https://baylorbears.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=1800

Looks to like the Jenkins family is doing something right.

Longhorn85":1v5u4hxc said:
Has anyone noticed that in the TABC rankings... McLean is ranked 15 and Milford 24 right now?
I noticed. I noticed that McLean is 6-3 and Milford is 6-1. Milford’s only loss is to a 3A (Blooming Grove) in a Christmas Tournament that Milford played in with 0 days of practice. Milford is on a 6 Game win streak and has scored 104 points and 98 points in their last 2 games. These kids are hoopers, do not let the rankings fool ya.

Back