STATE FOOTBALL GAMES 12/12/15

Don't recall the Ft Worth Stock Show appearances. I do remember he and his wife being regular guests on the Paul Crouch Christian program during the '80s. Don't recall the program's name.

Shows like Tarzan, Star Trek and Laugh-In were considered inappropriate for youngsters my age, according to my mother and grandmother, because of the arousal elements they flaunted. I did a pretty good job of concealing the fact that Jane, Capt. Kirk's babes and Goldie kept my hormones stirred and boiling.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DOPZsexPNPEhttps:/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YLmcBRHYF-w

RedBird Man":2z8f57kw said:
I'm not going to get into it with the Savoy people.

From what I could tell it was only SavoyFan that didn't like the way things are going in Savoy. Your post was how most of us feel about our home town. Good form.

ol' gus":2we08c9s said:
RedBird Man":2we08c9s said:

From what I could tell it was only SavoyFan that didn't like the way things are going in Savoy. Your post was how most of us feel about our home town. Good form.
Not nessacariy. My point was more of are you willing to do what it takes to have the success of the Valleys, Folletts, RS, etc. I think Savoy has as much to work with from a standpoint of athletes most years. Some pretty athletic individuals since the sixman program started, no telling what they might have developed into under optimal circumstances. I think for the most part the kids have bought into the program. So the point was if you have all those ingredients, and if you want to build a program that can compete as a final four team, all that's lacking is a top "General" to borrow a phrase from BE. Do I think our current coaching staff have done a nice job with the skill set they posses? Sure. I understand its hard for a coach not to take it personal when someone suggest they aren't a top level guy. But there is one way to change that if it truly bugs you. Do what it takes to become one of the elite. Is their anyone on this board who thinks Savoy has one of the top Six man coaches in the state? Very unlikely. Doesn't mean he hasn't done a better than average job or isn't a good guy.
But there is a difference in mindset I believe in the schools that are usually thought of as contenders for top teams and the schools who are just satisfied with competiting for a district championship and maybe going one or two rounds deep. Saying that may rub some people wrong, but I believe it to be a accurate statement. And I think, at least for now, Savoy school board (and most parents) are fine with with just making the playoffs. If going further was a priority they would put the personel in place to accomplish that. Doesn't mean there has to be a right or wrong. Just observations I believe to be accurate. Will Savoy continue to win some district championships for the next few years? I think so. We have a decent group in HS right now and a very weak district, so I believe our chances are good. But can we make deep runs in the playoffs or have a real shot at competitng for a title with the staff in place now? Probably unlikely. That may sound harsh but I believe it is a true statement. It is in no way meant to be mean spirited just realistic.

You may not be mean spirited in your mind, but I think you are very shallow in your thinking. If you don't get what you want, you come up with an excuse for not winning it all. Blame your team,blame your coach, blame your administrators, blame your school board, and blame your community for not wanting to win it all. There is one team that will win it all. Don't throw everybody under the bus because you don't get what you want. The win it all mentality is going to leave you with a lot of sad and tough life lessons and disappointments in your life. So sad that some people think by not winning it all they losers, and are lacking something.

Little Doc":2l87d0h3 said:
You may not be mean spirited in your mind, but I think you are very shallow in your thinking. If you don't get what you want, you come up with an excuse for not winning it all. Blame your team,blame your coach, blame your administrators, blame your school board, and blame your community for not wanting to win it all. There is one team that will win it all. Don't throw everybody under the bus because you don't get what you want. The win it all mentality is going to leave you with a lot of sad and tough life lessons and disappointments in your life. So sad that some people think by not winning it all they losers, and are lacking something.

Dang it Guru......
We need a "Like" button for posts like this!

I am glad to see expectations are set high for my Savoy Cardinals. Those are the same expectations that I have as well. Rome wasn't built over night and the six man football program is still continuing being built here in Savoy! If you have a true concern please come and talk to me. I have an open door policy. But before you blast me, I do have one question, as a community member what steps have you taken upon yourself to aide the football program or athletic programs? Thanks,

Clay Wilson
Athletic Director/Head Football Coach Savoy ISD

Johnny South":2bwmsori said:
Little Doc":2bwmsori said:
Go get you a proven winner and give him enough authority to do the job.

How do you go get you a proven winner? And a bigger question is how does a guy, who's main goal is to be a positive influence in the lives of boys and support his family at the same time, become one of those proven winners when he's constantly fighting the evil forces from within. Look around the state at all the movement of some of these proven winners. If being a proven winner was all it takes then why are they ever forced to look for a new job? I think all coaches could use some patience and understanding while they attempt to build one of those elite programs you think are so easy to build.
Remember when you bad mouth the coach you're also hurting his wife and children. Is that child abuse?

J'South! Deep insight!

I don't believe anyone has to be reassigned or moved out in order to build the best program . All one has to do is sit down and talk to the adult in charge to realize how they feel about success. His words will reveal his heart. Or he will BS and that too is easily recognized. Passion to improve radiates from any individual. If they are satisfied it will be obvious. If they are hopeful for improvement, that will be expressed.

But be aware of a simple truth. Just because someone is a coach does not mean he is moving in the best direction. The traditions and structure of every program is based on their ideas of what it takes to construct a program conducive to getting better. In other words, just because someone is a soccer mom does not guarantee her kids are getting the best instruction for learning a sport and becoming good at it. That is a misconception. Competing every Saturday morning throughout the year does not automatically build top athletes. She also has to leave her couch and throw the ball back and forth with her kids. She needs to consistently join her children out in the yard and street and simply throw and catch and encourage her kids to do more than they can do at that moment. Must have fun with it. Not just drudgery. At first it is slow and pathetic. The daughter cant catch because she is afraid of a ball aimed at her head. The son cant move and catch. Their arms are weak and cant throw accurately. But perseverance will sooner than later begin to build improvement and skill. And it snowballs.

Do you want to know what many of the best programs are doing to improve their programs. In 1998 we carried our CC team to Brock for a meet. While the kids were preparing to run I walked over to one of Brock's coaches who was smoking a cigarette across the course. I wanted to know why Brock was so successful compared to everyone else. We had some of the best girls in double-A, but we still couldn't compete good enough to beat Brock. The previous season we were beaten twice by them in girls varsity basketball. Every year we dominated them in junior high and usually split with the JV games. I wanted to find out why. I had decided it must be their coaching and their program because our girls, some of them, were better individual players than their girls. When you have a Jimanne Baker and Kayla Petrie, you should be winning against anyone, including Brock and Godley and Krum.

I asked the coach what they were doing that made them so much more successful than we were. He said the little things were the difference. Things like an athletic period during the day to lift weights before the regular athletic period. Like having personal goals set up for every player to shoot for every day, including Saturdays. Like wasting zero time and focusing on every element of a typical tough game. And watching film. He said all the best teams play summer ball. That wasn't enough. You had to find time to do more than your opponents.
I was clueless. I am a visual learner, therefore it didn't connect with anything in my head. I didn't figure it out totally until 2003. Its simple but difficult to arrange. Most resistance to positive change is met by "that's not how we did it when we played". I even heard that at Follett at first. Or, "you can't do that! Its against the rules."

Go watch successful schools on the cutting-edge of the art. At RS in spring of 2005 we went to Stephenville (90 min drive) and learned how they did things. At that time we had been beaten in the semis by Throckmorton. We loaded up the bus during school and spent most of the day there. Our kids were mesmerized. I will never forget Tyler, Shelby and Patrick's looks and comments while observing the Stephenville players do lifts, agilities and conditioning in one 55 minute period just before lunch. They accomplished more in that one athletic period than we usually did in an entire after-school practice. It opened our eyes and our minds. Our players were never the same afterwards. And neither were the coaches.

ol' gus":2oxlvvc0 said:
Johnny South":2oxlvvc0 said:
Little Doc":2oxlvvc0 said:
Go get you a proven winner and give him enough authority to do the job.

How do you go get you a proven winner? And a bigger question is how does a guy, who's main goal is to be a positive influence in the lives of boys and support his family at the same time, become one of those proven winners when he's constantly fighting the evil forces from within. Look around the state at all the movement of some of these proven winners. If being a proven winner was all it takes then why are they ever forced to look for a new job? I think all coaches could use some patience and understanding while they attempt to build one of those elite programs you think are so easy to build.
Remember when you bad mouth the coach you're also hurting his wife and children. Is that child abuse?
Good grief! No one is bad mouthing the coach. In fact he has been complimented. Johnnys post was also accurate in his description and suggestions. I think the observations and statements of what it takes to build a top program, have been very civil. In fact there isn't much disagreement about what it takes on here from what i see? Just some disagreement on the importance or the need to have that type of program.

BE":1il4ph5h said:
J'South! Deep insight!

I don't believe anyone has to be reassigned or moved out in order to build the best program . All one has to do is sit down and talk to the adult in charge to realize how they feel about success. His words will reveal his heart. Or he will BS and that too is easily recognized. Passion to improve radiates from any individual. If they are satisfied it will be obvious. If they are hopeful for improvement, that will be expressed.

But be aware of a simple truth. Just because someone is a coach does not mean he is moving in the best direction. The traditions and structure of every program is based on their ideas of what it takes to construct a program conducive to getting better. In other words, just because someone is a soccer mom does not guarantee her kids are getting the best instruction for learning a sport and becoming good at it. That is a misconception. Competing every Saturday morning throughout the year does not automatically build top athletes. She also has to leave her couch and throw the ball back and forth with her kids. She needs to consistently join her children out in the yard and street and simply throw and catch and encourage her kids to do more than they can do at that moment. At first it is slow and pathetic. The daughter cant catch because she is afraid of a ball aimed at her head. The son cant move and catch. Their arms are weak and cant throw accurately. But perseverance will sooner than later begin to build improvement and skill. And it snowballs.

Do you want to know what many of the best programs are doing to improve their programs. In 1998 we carried our CC team to Brock for a meet. While the kids were preparing to run I walked over to one of Brock's coaches who was smoking a cigarette across the course. I wanted to know why Brock was so successful compared to everyone else. We had some of the best girls in double-A, but we still couldn't compete good enough to beat Brock. The previous season we were beaten twice by them in girls varsity basketball. Every year we dominated them in junior high and usually split with the JV games. I wanted to find out why. I had decided it must be their coaching and their program because our girls, some of them, were better individual players than their girls. When you have a Jimanne Baker and Kayla Petrie, you should be winning against anyone, including Brock and Godley and Krum.

I asked the coach what they were doing that made them so much more successful than we were. He said the little things were the difference. Things like an athletic period during the day to lift weights before the regular athletic period. Like having personal goals set up for every player to shoot for every day, including Saturdays. Like wasting zero time and focusing on every element of a typical tough game. And watching film. He said all the best teams play summer ball. That wasn't enough. You had to find time to do more than your opponents.
I was clueless. I am a visual learner, therefore it didn't connect with anything in my head. I didn't figure it out totally until 2003. Its simple but difficult to arrange. Most resistance to positive change is met by "that's not how we did it when we played". I even heard that at Follett at first. Or, "you can't do that! Its against the rules."

Go watch successful schools on the cutting-edge of the art. At RS we went to Stephenville (90 min drive) and learned how they did things. We loaded up the bus during school and spent most of the day there. Our kids were mesmerized. I will never forget Tyler, Shelby and Patrick's looks and comments while observing the Stephenville players do lifts, agilities and conditioning in one 55 minute period just before lunch. It opened our eyes and our minds. Our players were never the same afterwards. And neither were the coaches.
Great post and insight!

And that is the problem. Look at the last two sentences by Savoyfan: You cant disagree with success. Sure, you can be good and beat most teams with a traditional 1980s football program. A good coach with some decent kids and a lot of determination will be a top five team. But there can be a gulf of difference between number three and number four and everyone else below that. That doesn't show up in the rankings, or in the comparative match-ups. The contest reveals that difference.

williewilson":2wa7oijf said:
I am glad to see expectations are set high for my Savoy Cardinals. Those are the same expectations that I have as well. Rome wasn't built over night and the six man football program is still continuing being built here in Savoy! If you have a true concern please come and talk to me. I have an open door policy. But before you blast me, I do have one question, as a community member what steps have you taken upon yourself to aide the football program or athletic programs? Thanks,

Clay Wilson
Athletic Director/Head Football Coach Savoy ISD

Thanks coach for joining the discussion. As stated earlier I know coaching is a tough job and listening to fans opinions of how to build a championship team probably isn't fun from a coaches seat. I do believe the observations and statements are correct for the most part.
I'm not sure as a community what other things you need? Have you asked for them? I believe support is high.
Sure don't want you to think your being blasted(although I concede, that is tough not to feel that way when discussing something like this in a public forum). Do I think it's imperative savoy competes for a state title in the next few years? No Would I like to see it though? Yes. Do I believe the assessment of our program and what it takes to play at top level, by myself and others on here is correct? Yes. I think BE has given some great insights. Who does everyone think of when elite programs are brought up? RS Not sure if this is even a option but if possible I would try to schedule a visit with their head coach and find out how they do it? I would study any and everything I could about their program if I truely wanted to have my team play to their full potential. I think a coach could do worse than to model himself after that program. Just my thoughts. Anyways congrats to the successes you have had and hopefully many more. I think this has been a very civil discussion with some great insight from some of the posters.

HP Drifter":rdt5xwlk said:
Hmmmm, and here I thought it was illegal to have two athletic periods during the day. Dang, no wonder have been missing out. Ha

I did too, High Plains. And even though you are joking about your understanding, I'm not. My ignorance before the Stephenville visit was self inflicted. Afterwards we realized that the one athletic period UIL rule per day ends at 3;30, when school ends. Just that one little misunderstanding in my mind kept me blind to the fact that two are possible.

I asked Coach Campbell at Gordon in 1999 how he conducted weight training during the football season. He said his players went home after practice, ate, did homework and returned after supper around 7;30 and did team lifting. I say team, not totally sure. It may have been voluntary. I tried that at Hermleigh and it worked every night except Wednesday...church. At Follett that wouldn't work because a third of the team lived fifteen miles or more out of town.
An athletic period of 50 or 55 minutes allows lifting early in the week, and skill work on Thursday and film on Friday. We were flexible. PATs could be practiced all week at least some of the period. A snapper, holder and kicker with two or three retrievers and a bag of a dozen balls can do fifty kicks in fifteen minutes. Many years at RS we used a kicker and holder who had it not been for their PAT jobs, would have been on the JV team. Same at Follett. Coach York used a kid to kick for three years whose football talents would have kept him on the JV squad had it not been for his job as kicker. So he worked on kicking extra points almost the entire practice. In 2013 that kid was graduated, so we used a player who could not contribute on the varsity, but he practiced so much during the season that he evolved into a stinkin fine kicker of extra points. He kicked so much that many times he could barely walk for a day or two. He was doing a couple hundred kicks a day.
He went from being a 3 of 10 kicker to a 8 of 10 within six weeks. Most people are not willing to suffer that way to get better. Juan did it and became a very dependable kicker. His kick statistics are on the six-man coaches assoc. link for the 2013 season. His stats are lower than the other top six or eight listed because he wasn't good enough to be our kicker until the fourth or fifth game of the season. In fact, his brother was our number one kicker before Juan took over. He made all-state.

I misunderstanded, like we had 1st period athletics, lifted 4 days a week and had some time for part of conditioning, then after school, they have weights over with, part of conditioning over with, on to second athletic period. I see now.

SavoyFan":3sh60ww5 said:
ol' gus":3sh60ww5 said:
RedBird Man":3sh60ww5 said:

Not nessacariy. My point was more of are you willing to do what it takes to have the success of the Valleys, Folletts, RS, etc. I think Savoy has as much to work with from a standpoint of athletes most years. Some pretty athletic individuals since the sixman program started, no telling what they might have developed into under optimal circumstances. I think for the most part the kids have bought into the program. So the point was if you have all those ingredients, and if you want to build a program that can compete as a final four team, all that's lacking is a top "General" to borrow a phrase from BE. Do I think our current coaching staff have done a nice job with the skill set they posses? Sure. I understand its hard for a coach not to take it personal when someone suggest they aren't a top level guy. But there is one way to change that if it truly bugs you. Do what it takes to become one of the elite. Is their anyone on this board who thinks Savoy has one of the top Six man coaches in the state? Very unlikely. Doesn't mean he hasn't done a better than average job or isn't a good guy.

I do not know the coach at Savoy from Adam - but considering that you like to cherry pick your points, remember that BE said this as well:

" want to admit two things that might upset some parents and fans.
First, established coaches who possess a goal to build a top level program, who are seeking a position with that mission in mind, do not apply for jobs that have little or no measurable chance of reaching such a goal. In other words, they rarely pursue positions they evaluate as less than capable of reaching the goal of competing for championships."

Perhaps, just perhaps, Savoy did not possess the foundation in terms of athleticism, facilities, or salary to land the elite coach or "top General" that you wish they currently employed. Perhaps there is a reason the elite coaches didn't come knocking. I know Karry Owens at Highland took a program in disarray & built it to a power with not much in prior experience. But the community stuck with him & grew with him, knowing that he was doing everything in his power to improve his program & his coaching ability. While he never won a ring, I've yet to meet anyone who didn't regard him as one of the "elites".

Yes, people should actively look for ways to improve their program, school & community. The coach is on here openly asking you to come speak to him directly about your concerns of the Savoy football program. If you don't have the guts to do so, to get your hands dirty and help improve the program - says that you're all talk & no action.

Again, I don't know the coach personally - but I do not like seeing a guy get indirectly bashed from a computer keyboard. And as much as you like to say how you're complementing the guy, it's kinda like telling an idiot "bless your heart".

Back