STATE FOOTBALL GAMES 12/12/15

WHO AM I CRITICIZING?
Brother, you are showing some inattention.
I'm starting to think some of us are so close-minded that we can't accurately read what someone else is trying to communicate because of the fog of stubbornness blurring our eyes.
And if your a coach I can't wait to play your team, again.

Ding dang, I wish I was on a bus headed south to Shotwell.

Blue Bird, you must have a specific point your alluding to. Why not say it openly so that it can be addressed more clearly. I'm trying to understand what you are trying to pry out of me. Just type it down. I will discuss, confess, anything you want to know, if I have info about it.

Okay, I turned off the tv. I see what your saying. Talented kids are more essential to a team than is a top coach. That is a half-truth. So you are half-correct. Good players are needed to win district, Bi-district, Regional, Quarter, semi-final and state championships. And lots of teams do. Lots of teams win football, basketball, baseball games and track meets. My point is that when those teams play each other, the team with the most prepared coaching staff will usually prevail. Now there are exceptions. Calvert vs Rs the last two years, for example. It is my belief RS had the better staff, maybe Calvert had some better kids. But, the Trojan coach had made some significant offensive changes which may have made the coaching issue less lopsided. Calvert won both.
In 2006 and 2007, in my biased opinion, we trounced Calvert because they didn't have the kind of offensive sets that showcased their athletic advantages. So I say we out-coached them. In 2004 Danny Davis ran a surprise defense against us in the semis I was not ready to handle. Had it not been for Jerry's defensive preparations, we would have lost. Danny out-coached me. He had sought help from another coach he beat earlier in the playoffs. It worked against us that game...only. The teams were equal athletically.
In 2006 our defense fell apart against Rule in Shotwell, but our offense was so versatile we won anyway. Even that was problematic. We realized the run was not going to work early, so we reversed and used the pass to open up the run. Tyler and I figured how to do that after playing Throckmorton in the 2004 semis. We learned our lessons and remembered them. We actually taught ourselves how to beat Throckmorton after both games, '04 and '05 semis. By '06 we were confident we could handle any defense. We would sit at the supper table and quiz each other on how to overcome every strategy a defense might use. In 2007 Calvert refuted our pass attack, so Tyler, Andrew and Mark had to do it with sweeps, alternatingly. I digress.

If Burkhart and Rodgers were at, say Ft. Davis in 2010-2012, RS would have been fortunate to win one state championship, unless another set of good coaches had replaced them. Guys like Tyler, Lee, Jones, Hayes, Marcus and others would pick up where they left off. And there are some really good young coaches and older coaches who are pursuing greatness we saw this year. Coach K. at Oakwood, Mt. Calm's coach, Ware, Gallegos, Williamson at Groom, and others. Coach Rainer in Follett has proved again he is in that upper-class, so to speak.

What I said was meant for blue bird not for BE. May had a kid that transferred from Brownwood to May and the coach from Brownwood checked athletic purposes.

The coyotes are the patriots of the nfl people are to busy making complains and accusing instead of making their football team better.

That stinks. I think there is an avenue to overcome that. At Follett the coach from Ormesher's school did that so we called him and asked him why he thought that way. He said Errol was suspended from playing until he completed some discipline assignments, but had decided to quit and move. It was obvious Errol was packing up his car to be where his family were. He was living in his car and winter was fast approaching in Colorado. His mother, sister and step-dad lived in Follett.
The coach changed his decision, so we filled out another PAPF and resent it.
The May situation is probably vastly different.

BE you won't get any bashing from me. As I said earlier your spot on in my opinion on your observations. Again using RS for a example does anyone think that they have been loaded with exceptional atheletes for the last 15 years? Of course they haven't. Some years probably. But most schools have some studs come through occasionally. It's the law of averages. Kids at Crawford, RS, Follett, Valley or any other top program aren't born genetically superior to kids in Savoy or any other town with mediocre programs. It comes down to hiring the best coaches and a school board and community getting behind a program.

SavoyFan":3dyxzv52 said:
BE you won't get any bashing from me. As I said earlier your spot on in my opinion on your observations. Again using RS for a example does anyone think that they have been loaded with exceptional atheletes for the last 15 years? Of course they haven't. Some years probably. But most schools have some studs come through occasionally. It's the law of averages. Kids at Crawford, RS, Follett, Valley or any other top program aren't born genetically superior to kids in Savoy or any other town with mediocre programs. It comes down to hiring the best coaches and a school board and community getting behind a program.

Amen...Amen brother. Spot on. Why couldn't I have said that so simply.

Would have given me more time to go Christmas shopping for my wife...she wants a pink 9 mm pistol, and the gun shops are bare. I wonder if Santa can get thru customs with a handgun in his sleigh? :)

Never said anything about betting a ranch. Where did you come up with that? Why don't you PM me and we can hash this out?

It comes down to 1. hiring the best coaches, and 2. a school board and 3. community getting behind a program.[/quote]
I count 3 things it comes down to and only one of them is coach. This has been a most interesting thread. It reminds me of something one of the so-called experienced deacons (50yr) down at the Bap ch told me after I had finished a long explanation of why I thought alien baptism was unscriptual and so we should be allowed to join the church. He says "Hey, I'm just one vote".
An extracurricular sports team is the most peculiar beast. In a perfect world it would only be made up of players and a coach. Each one an individual. Each one plays one part. Each one needs to play their best. Each one gets one vote(so-to-speak). Only by voting together can they succeed. (Then there's everyone's and their kitchen sinks definition of success, which is totally subjective.) You gotta have soooooo many different issues fall into place all at the same time to win State, that's why even these golden coaches only do it so often. If all it took was a golden coach then there would only be 2 guys winning State each year every year.
There's definitely truth in the value of being mentored by a wise old sage. What I would have given as a new teacher/coach to have one of those quality guys show me the ropes rather than what I got. From college till now I've observed or worked with over 40 different people who called themselves coaches. Not one of them had a heart-felt desire to reach young people, yet All of them wanted to win. In college I did some of my observations with one of the guys who's name has been mentioned in this thread. His constant bashing of the students made me ask for someone else to observe. What passes for quality coaching is so subjective. My first school job was with a 15 yr HC and a 35 yr coach (with 4 state rings in 4 different sports). Same story, they must have hated kids. Screaming at them for not winning, while not even trying to train them to win, making fun of them behind their back, Constantly bashing on them, giving them free days in the classroom and soft grades, and when I tried to support the boys I got called in the office and chewed out. Great mentoring huh? Another job at a school with a state champ coach still working there. The girls had a tradition of losing and going wild. They went through girls coaches like warm cookies all while he sat there and did nothing. At years end he moved west to a school that already had a good program. I guess he wasn't a builder? I won't say anything about my home town for fear of sounding like the Savoy guy. With friends like him who needs enemy's? (OAN. Out of the 5 schools I've worked none of them had a consistently progressive weight training and off-season programs. When I suggested it they became indignant, like, who did I think I was suggesting such a thing? They were so much more experienced than me.)
I don't know much, but this stuff is way harder than it looks and if you think all you need is this or that then like some have said go get a teaching cert and have at it. I think Dr Pepper has a 23 on the can to represent the 23 different ingredients it takes to make it great? With football it's more like 1000.

Dogface2":2lnfvxdi said:
It comes down to 1. hiring the best coaches, and 2. a school board and 3. community getting behind a program.
I count 3 things it comes down to and only one of them is coach. This has been a most interesting thread. It reminds me of something one of the so-called experienced deacons (50yr) down at the Bap ch told me after I had finished a long explanation of why I thought alien baptism was unscriptual and so we should be allowed to join the church. He says "Hey, I'm just one vote".
An extracurricular sports team is the most peculiar beast. In a perfect world it would only be made up of players and a coach. Each one an individual. Each one plays one part. Each one needs to play their best. Each one gets one vote(so-to-speak). Only by voting together can they succeed. (Then there's everyone's and their kitchen sinks definition of success, which is totally subjective.) You gotta have soooooo many different issues fall into place all at the same time to win State, that's why even these golden coaches only do it so often. If all it took was a golden coach then there would only be 2 guys winning State each year every year.
There's definitely truth in the value of being mentored by a wise old sage. What I would have given as a new teacher/coach to have one of those quality guys show me the ropes rather than what I got. From college till now I've observed or worked with over 40 different people who called themselves coaches. Not one of them had a heart-felt desire to reach young people, yet All of them wanted to win. In college I did some of my observations with one of the guys who's name has been mentioned in this thread. His constant bashing of the students made me ask for someone else to observe. What passes for quality coaching is so subjective. My first school job was with a 15 yr HC and a 35 yr coach (with 4 state rings in 4 different sports). Same story, they must have hated kids. Screaming at them for not winning, while not even trying to train them to win, making fun of them behind their back, Constantly bashing on them, giving them free days in the classroom and soft grades, and when I tried to support the boys I got called in the office and chewed out. Great mentoring huh? Another job at a school with a state champ coach still working there. The girls had a tradition of losing and going wild. They went through girls coaches like warm cookies all while he sat there and did nothing. At years end he moved west to a school that already had a good program. I guess he wasn't a builder? I won't say anything about my home town for fear of sounding like the Savoy guy. With friends like him who needs enemy's? (OAN. Out of the 5 schools I've worked none of them had a consistently progressive weight training and off-season programs. When I suggested it they became indignant, like, who did I think I was suggesting such a thing? They were so much more experienced than me.)
I don't know much, but this stuff is way harder than it looks and if you think all you need is this or that then like some have said go get a teaching cert and have at it. I think Dr Pepper has a 23 on the can to represent the 23 different ingredients it takes to make it great? With football it's more like 1000.[/quote]
Some of your points are well taken. But some are just wrong. Like 1000 ingredients to win at the 1a level. Silly statement. Do I think coaching is a tough job? Yes, already stated that. To win a state championship do a lot of things have to fall in place? Yes Most of those things fall into place through hard work and dedication and GREAT COACHING, and some times a little luck. And as far as the comment about being a friend to the coach, like I said its a tough job. Job performance is on display for the whole world to see. If you or any coach thinks that's unfair then win a state championship or two and prove the armchair quarterbacks wrong. Unless your doing that or have done that then you don't have a whole lot of choice but to listen to critiquing because obviously you aren't coaching at the elite level.

What? How dare you ask. :) Probably sit my lard-arss close to the concession stand!
We will sit where our friends from Follett sit. Have friends in RS, also, but time counts. When Coach Rainer focuses on the game I may sneak down on the field and take some selfies. :) :)
Division one? We will probably go ahead and get where Follett will be.

This is from an interview of Coach Terry Crawford of Abbott from the time record news.
This is what I love about this man.
"Everybody has asked how would you feel if you never win a state championship?" Crawford said. "I'm not in this business to win a state championship. That's a by-product.

"That's not something that will define me. My purpose is building good husbands and fathers. I feel at peace with that. But I'd love a state championship for our community, it deserves one."
Gives me chills reading that.
Your one of the best Coach Crawford

Back