Second Amendment

markf

Six-man fan
I am a supporter of our second amendment,I believe we should be able to protect ourselves our families, property's,I am employed by the second largest school district in our great state,I come and go to several school's a day,and don't believe for a minute that I don't think about what has gone on lately, mainly the reason I start this topic is,Why does our country see guns of war? Machine guns and the likes, what purpose does that type of firearm serve? Can't deer hunt with it,I've see videos where hogs are being shot from a helicopter with this type of device,I just don't get it? Is it a novelty thing? Or what, just don't understand the purpose of a weapon like this on our streets,, Thanks for listening

FACT- The AR-15 has NEVER seen war.

FACT- "machine guns" are illegal to 99% of the civilian population. It takes a class III license to have these.

Sick people will kill no matter what, at least give the good guys the chance to defend themselves. I'm pretty sure criminals don't follow laws..and we've all heard it before but the 2A wasn't put into place with the thoughts of deer hunting in mind.

So POTUS has spoke of changing the legal age of purchasing,from 18 to 21, personally I don't think it would matter what age,hey but what do I know?

Loveofgame, unless you are splitting hairs about model and designations, I think you may be mistaken about the AR-15 having never seen a war.......

The Second Amendment also covers protecting ourselves, our family, and our property from the run of the mill street thugs out there, but that ain’t who the Founding Fathers were thinking we needed protection from when they adopted it.

I'm tired of the liberals wanting to take our guns. Anyone with any sense knows guns aren't the problem. If someone wants to harm people there are so many ways besides guns. The problem is we have taken God out od schools and trying to take God out of america. Kids aren't held accountable by parents like they use to be. Most parents think their kids are perfect and it is someone elses fault.

loveofgame":d8ursn3p said:
Ar-15 is vastly different from a m4,m16 which is the military variant
I agree. The original of this family of firearms was descended from Eugene Stoners AR10. From that came the ArmaLite AR15 which the military dubbed the M16. The civilian model of the M16 which Colt produced was and is called AR15 which is exclusively produced as a semi automatic.
As was pointed out, the M4 which replaced the M16 has a shorter barrel than it’s predecessors, is lighter and more compact but still maintains basically the same action that Mr. Stoner designed in the 1950’s.

This thread is a pretty good indicator of what’s wrong with this country. Folks are more than happy to spout off about harming honest citizens by taking away their rights and property, but no one is talking about the girl on steroids that’s winning UIL wrestling championships.

Can’t deer hunt with it? With modern advances in propellant and bullet technology the .223 rem (assuming we’re talking about the standard AR-15 round, not one of the newer variants like 6.5 Grendel or .50 Beowulf) excels at killing deer in the hands of a capable marksman. I shot two deer this past season, both double lunge shot. One stumbled 20 yards before collapsing and the other (a big bodied 8 point) crumpled on the spot and expired before I could even get to him. As far as hogs go, they’re a nuisance and cause millions of dollars worth of agricultural and property damage. To eradicate the pests you need a semi automatic weapon that can pick off multiple animals very quickly. Also, more than just being semi auto the AR-15 is the only firearm platform that is customizable as it is. You can modify it for a million different uses.

Tell me what’s wrong with how our society assigns responsibility:
1. Drunk driver kills someone - who or what is at fault - and everyone says the drunk driver. CORRECT
2. Robber kills store clerk with a knife - who or what is at fault - everyone says the robber. CORRECT
3. Bomb maker plants a bomb at a nightclub and detonated it killing 100’s - who or what is at fault - everyone says the bomb maker. CORRECT
4. Teenage lunatic enters school and guns down 17 innocent kids - who or what is at fault - and everyone says the gun - WHAT - why the change in perspective? Simply for political gain. Shouldn’t it be the teenager and parents(guardians) are responsible? A gun can’t kill unless someone pulls the trigger.
What if had used a Glock - they’d be trying to pull those off the shelves too.
Our society doesn’t have a gun problem we have a moral problem. We’ve removed God from our schools and replaced with a “do what’s right in your own eyes mentality”. Where else can you kill (abort) over 700,000 innocent babies a year and many applaud and cheer it. So our culture continues to champion abortions, immoral behaviors and a nature of insanity, we are seeing the fruits of that society. How about we teach and instruct kids through a moral compass of right and wrong. Get help for those kids who show signs of instability and just secure schools like our courthouses and you’d have a much better solution than changing constitutional rights (which when you change one they all begin to fall). I could go on and on but in conclusion we have enough gun laws on the books, how about enforcing them and holding parents responsible. No matter how much Congress restricts gun sales or types of guns it will never achieve what is intended until our moral compass gets focused back on Christ.

Mark F I hear ya. My Daughter teaches at a very large school up there near you. I cherish my Second Amendment Rights. In light of all that's happened in the last 20 years I even worry about my grandchildren in a much smaller school outside the big city. I work at a small college outside the metromess myself. Columbine shocked me. Virginia Tech scared me. I started looking at the "kids" in the halls a little differently, as it was done with a 9 mm handgun, easily concealed in a back pack. Not just schools though, an ArmaLite 15 with a bumpstock in Vegas proved that recently. OFB alluded to the original intent of the Second Amendment, which was to be able to bear arms to protect ourselves from governmental tyranny. Times have changed beyond our forbearers ability to foresee. I don't pretend to have any answers but is a subject that needs to be discussed rationally without histrionics.
For the sake of our children, and ourselves.

If the majority of the American people feel that the Times have gotten past what the Founding Fathers has the ability to foresee, they provided a way to change the Constitution. If you want something done, you gotta do it the right way.

Also, if you think that human nature has changed enough in the past 225 years to think we don’t need protection from our government, you flat ain’t been paying attention lately.

The wording in the constitution presents a whole heap of problems in itself...

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

I read that as it is a militia, such as the modern day National Guard, who should be armed and willing to defend against governmental tyranny. Naturally, the wording can be read and interpreted a number of ways to support one's point of view/beliefs.

I pray for the senseless killing of innocent citizens to end.

Well topher, if you removed the punctuation I might agree. But since the punctuation is present, I interpret the militia to be a separate entity and the “ people” another.........

Back