Centers in shotgun formation -- 1 second protection?

waynea

11-man fan
I would almost swear that I read that centers get a 1 second protection against being hit when a team is in "Kick" or "Shotgun" formation. Now I cant' find it. Am I crazy? Did I make it up. Looking for help from a friendly "zebra".

Not in shotgun formation. That protection only exists in scrimmage kick formations. A scrimmage kick formation is when you have at least one player 7 or more yards deep, nobody in position to take a hand to hand snap, AND it is obvious a kick may be attempted. So if you're just running your normal offense from a shotgun set, your center gets no extra protection.

Legacy, that is not correct, the change was made several years ago giving the snapper in shotgun formation the same protection as a snapper in scrimmage kick formation in six-man. This is from the 2014 six-man rules exceptions...

(9-1-14) 1. When a team is in an offensive or scrimmage kick formation, and no player is in position to take a hand to hand snap, a defensive player may not initiate contact with the snapper until one second has elapsed after the snap.

Back