Cayuga looking for a second championship this school year.

BE

Six-man fan
Heads up to anyone who may be thinking about playing an East Texas basketball team by the name of Cayuga---------DON'T!

They have incredible athletes for a class A school. I haven't seen so many dunks before and during a game since...since...since...........I never have by a class A team.
The last time I saw that many high percentage shots was last year's Dallas Madison team, and then just barely.
Cayuga had two starting guards who dunked four or five times during the game, not to mention their other position players. In fact, I can only remember three or four players who didn't slam during the pregame warmup. Their second bunch, who played two or three minutes in each of the first three quarters and almost the entire fourth, was talented as any team I have seen this year...and I've seen some of the best, including Alto, Bloomburg, Neches, Slocum, Laneville, Jim Ned and Navasota. Oh, I forgot Tatum, Corrigan-Camden, Broaddus and Center.

Cayuga has a freshman who came off the bench who has the finest all-around game of basketball I have seen since the Childress kid from Coleman. He played maybe ten minutes all night. Their bench was ten players deep.
They press full court and trap in the frontcourt even when they don't press. They pressed maybe a third of the game. They beat a fine Alto team...well I left with two minutes left and the score 107 to 51.

If they get by the Tenaha/Martin's Mill winner, it will be interesting to see how a fundamental basketball team from the panhandle does against them, one who can slow the game down while beating the press. Right now the only team that can beat them is Cayuga, themselves. I did sense a confidence that hovered near arrogance, and that could be their achilles heel. Not much to hope for, is it. And these guys played football two weeks into December... :shock:

You must be speaking of that there foosball team cause your winter team couldn't score that many points in three games. :mrgreen:

BE you must not been around very long? Paducah had a team in 87-88 that had a combined record of 66-2 they went to tournaments and played schools such as Fort Worth Dunbar Witchita Falls High and beat them pretty easily as a 1a playing 4a's and 5a's. They later on went to win two state titles beating the other teams at least by 40 or more and then in the state games they were throwing alley oops to each other. They had two players play college ball Will Flemons at Texas Tech and Bryan Barns at Houston. But there is no 1a team that can come close or even compare to this team.

:shock: Wow! With all that said, what were the names of the two teams who beat them? Don't want to play them either! But only two state championships? What was the problem?? :p

I haven't made the state basketball tournament in quite some time, so I plan to sneak off Thursday night or threeish a.m. on Fri. morning and catch the last two days of the tourney.
Some of the teams in this year's championship demand special attention...must see roundball!

Got to see some good ones at SFA in nacogdoches this weekend. Cayuga, Martin's Mill, Tenaha, Slocum, Laneville and Kopperal were the best teams there.Kopperal had two dandy guards and a 6'6" post who shocked the heck out of the people I sat around. The biggie had good hands and was the best passer at the tourney, both divisions. His outlets and pressbreak passes kept Laneville on the ropes most of the game until he fouled out with two minutes left in the third quarter. At that point the two mini-guards tryed to take command despite their lack of heighth--both were listed at 5'8, but that was probably a two inch stretch for each. Both reaffirmed the cliche that dynamite comes in small packages! One of them had one offensive move, but Laneville's superquickness still couldn't handle his righthand drives down the sideline across the baseline runner which had to have netted him sixteen or eighteen points. He seemed doomed to traps every single time, yet squirted out despite being right on the line. The other guard loved the three and between the two of them kept the game decent in the fourth. I was impressed! Too bad both guards are seniors...the post is a junior. They also have a smooth 6'1 player, a sophomore I think, who has a nice game although he was somewhat timid.

Speaking of Cayuga...heaven help Spurger and whomever they face in the finals...pulling for Bronte. I have to brag on 'em--hope I don't jinx them--they are super athletes with real good basketball skills. Their first two off the bench this weekend were a freshman and a sophomore both listed at 6'6", and their third sub. was a 6'4" senior. Every player for them ran the floor and handled the ball like a guard...none of their biggies played the traditional post game with slow methodical inside moves. They shot the three, attacked the rim like power forwards and ran from one end to the other for a fastbreak pass. Not that they actually needed their services, all five starters were dunking, running all over the court and pressing the juice out of their opponents from start to finish.
Something tells me Bronte might be there best competition because of the twins I've heard so much about since they were in the eighth grade. They are now juniors, no, maybe sophomores, and defeated last year's eventual state champ Roscoe plowboys in both district matches.

Slocum and Nazareth could be a good game. Now is the time to sneak up on Slocum after their inspirational OT victory over Laneville in the finals. There was no way they should have beaten Laneville, who unfortunately came into that game cocky and unfocused, could see it. I guess their 33 point win over Slocum in the last district game did more harm than good.
I suppose one could wish for the same vs. Cayuga, but I doubt it will happen because they have so many players fighting to step on the court that it keeps them all hungry and mean looking.
I hope Grady is ready...they have a tough run versus Leggett and either Slocum or Nazareth.

Here's a question: can anyone in 2-A or 3-A play with Ponder? They have almost their entire team back from the last two state champions, and beat last year's Argyle team handily who beat 5-A finalist Dallas Kimball in a warmup game and had 3-A champ Dallas Madison beat until a last second miracle shot won it at the buzzer. Ponder appears invincible.

Bronte will be a tough win! Wish I could go watch! And from what I hear Bronte will be better next year and will be in D-II...which is CRAZY!

Bronte out "basketballed" Cayuga and Cayuga out "Athleted" Bronte. No question Bronte was ready to play and prepared, but anybody who knows Coach Rawls wouldn't expect anything less. His sons are tough, especially Dakota. A 6'5" guard who shoots over 50% from the 3 pt line and threw down 4 dunks on Cayuga is just about unguardable. I wonder when the last time Cayuga gave up a dunk, much less 4, to a skinny white kid? If Bronte had converted a FT or two down the stretch, they would have won in regulation, but the longer the game went on, the greater the probablility that the athleticism and depth of Cayuga showed itself. http://www.gosanangelo.comhas a couple of good stories on it

Good cheer D II Fans, Bronte drops down and still has three of their top four players back. And they are in my district ...

I hate the UIL ...

:lol: :lol: :lol: We all know your pain, better start recruiting. Question is, where do you start?

Four dunks.......WOW! :shock:

Do you think Cayuga and Bronte could play with Ponder, and could Ponder play with Madison and Estacado?

No to Cayuga and Bronte hanging with Ponder - Ponder vs Madison and Estacado ... ??? Maybe, but Estacado is so talented and they were still fundamentally sound enough that they would be tough to match up with for Ponder, Just my opinion.

Back