Second Amendment

LOL we just 'eh' instead of commas. ;)

I really hope that y'all find a solution to this problem. Of course there will be some who are happy and others who are not but something needs to be done to stop the madness. I keep my friends in the six man community in my prayers every night.

OFB, I don't think Our government is ours anymore. It's owned by some would say corporate interests which to me is just the 1% that own the corporations. Democrat Conservative Republican Liberal labeling just doesn't work for me anymore. I wish I could still afford to hunt on a lease, not much game on my 15 acres on the road near town. But I most definitely want to be able to protect my family and myself from any threats.

I don't understand the mindset of having to own a gun to protect one's family against an outside threat. Is that threat other people or the government or ???

The vast majority of Canadians and Irish (I spent a lot of my childhood with family in Ireland) don't think they have to protect their loved ones or property with firearms. Mind you, the Irish are so wasted most of the time they wouldn't notice the good china missing from the dining room! LOL

Before anyone jumps down my throat, I am not saying it is wrong to believe in your heart that you need guns to protect what is dear to you, quite the contrary. It is your right according to your constitution. I would love to hear more about this so that I can better understand it.

Well topher, in my case I like an AR to keep hogs out of the wife’s flowers. I keep a shotgun and a 1911 close by in the house to keep the meth heads at bay. I carry pistols in all vehicles for the same reason. These idiots think nothing of coming into occupied houses at any time. For that reason I am armed at all times. I’m too decrepit to get into a wrestling match with one or two and response time for law is a minimum of 20 minutes.
Does that explain things?

I’m about 30 years younger than you Smokey, but I ain’t getting into a wrasslin’ match with any methheads either. It’s too easy for someone to slip a knife into a fist fight. I’ve got an old Model 10 Smith in the house. My wife and kids know how to use it too. The manual of arms on the the 1911 was more complicated than I had patience to teach them.

Holy moly, that is really scary. Meth is that big of a problem in the great Republic of Texas? I don't blame you guys for wanting to keep those tweaked out nutters off your property... what is the local health unit doing to help addicts get off meth?

topher80":l68lrqo7 said:
what is the local health unit doing to help addicts get off meth?

I don’t know that we have a local health unit. The meth is bad in Dawson County. I won’t go into it publicly, but I could tell a few stories. The law ain’t doing much if any thing to get the crap off the streets.

topher80":1c7neo7z said:
Holy moly, that is really scary. Meth is that big of a problem in the great Republic of Texas? I don't blame you guys for wanting to keep those tweaked out nutters off your property... what is the local health unit doing to help addicts get off meth?

As we've kind of drifted off topic, but it's related... it's not just Texas. I've read of meth being the scourge of the least populated state (Wyoming - up there closer to Canada) as well as inner cities across the country. It creates bold late night thieves among users as I know from personal experience. Junkies, dealers and cooks will kill over it. I think it's worse than opioid's though they're bad and in the news more.
Sorry to rant, personal pet peeve.

topher80":hx2lzqj4 said:
The wording in the constitution presents a whole heap of problems in itself...

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

I read that as it is a militia, such as the modern day National Guard, who should be armed and willing to defend against governmental tyranny. Naturally, the wording can be read and interpreted a number of ways to support one's point of view/beliefs.

I pray for the senseless killing of innocent citizens to end.

Same tired old misleading argument Topher.

As defined by congress in 1789, and earlier defined by Jefferson and Madison, the militia meant the unorganized militia, which means ALL adult males between ages 17 to 64. Don't yap about things you do not understand.

No one likes the slaughter, but the proposed solutions by all you gun control nuts will accomplish nothing but the disarming of law abiding citizens. I oppose all those measures. Also, you keep coming back and saying we need just one more little ban, and all will be fine until you have all guns banned. You Canadians and Brits may want to be unarmed sheeple, but not most Americans.

Meth exists here and it mostly sprayed onto marijuana but it is not a problem locally *yet*. The big one that is killing many Torontoians is fake Fentanyl patches which come into Canada from illegal Chinese chemistry factories through the port of Vancouver. No one can tell the difference until they are dead due to the chemical formula being slightly off and way too strong. The ads on the radio explaining the dangers of Fentanyl can be 10,000x stronger than morphine which is bananas. Anyone who has had a serious injury or surgery knows morphine is strong as heck.

Old Bearkat":3vzq6kky said:

As defined by congress in 1789, and earlier defined by Jefferson and Madison, the militia meant the unorganized militia, which means ALL adult males between ages 17 to 64. Don't yap about things you do not understand.

No one likes the slaughter, but the proposed solutions by all you gun control nuts will accomplish nothing but the disarming of law abiding citizens. I oppose all those measures. Also, you keep coming back and saying we need just one more little ban, and all will be fine until you have all guns banned. You Canadians and Brits may want to be unarmed sheeple, but not most Americans.

I said nothing of the sort. I could care less what America does with their laws. Not my country. I came here to better understand the thinking behind keeping the 2nd Amendment not protest as some anti-gun nut. I appreciate you explaining the militia part being unorganized however there was no need for your last paragraph. If a person doesn't ask questions how can they ever understand different points of view?

topher80":2c447oxk said:
Old Bearkat":2c447oxk said:

I said nothing of the sort. I could care less what America does with their laws. Not my country. I came here to better understand the thinking behind keeping the 2nd Amendment not protest as some anti-gun nut. I appreciate you explaining the militia part being unorganized however there was no need for your last paragraph. If a person doesn't ask questions how can they ever understand different points of view?

Topher, as often as those of us who support the civil rights enshrined in the second amendment have been called terrorists, racists, and murderers here lately, it’s pretty easy to get touchy.

oldfat&bald":13eghnfc said:
Topher, as often as those of us who support the civil rights enshrined in the second amendment have been called terrorists, racists, and murderers here lately, it’s pretty easy to get touchy.

That is vile and disgusting behaviour to ridicule someone for their beliefs and even more so when those beliefs are supported in your constitution. I want to learn and understand all the arguments so I will be able to form a rational and educated thought on the 2nd Amendment and further so I will be able to discuss it in the future with an appropriate level of understanding. I am asking similar questions to American friends on a gardening forum and, as you can imagine being a gardening forum, their views are 95% anti-gun.

Mark F, as you started this thread I'm wondering if you received the same school active shooter training I did (a while after Virginia Tech in my case). An e-mail and a laminated credit card sized card with the three key points on it. One is run. If you can't be seen by the shooter get away. Two was hide (where in most cases?). Three is fight back if no other choice. Yell angrily at the shooter (???), throw something (a stapler?) at them. I read an article last week that challenged the latter two ideas. It referred to a study by I forget who, maybe the FBI, that active shooters in these cases have a 6 or maybe it was a 9% kill rate on moving targets. If you hide behind a desk your a stationary target to be walked up on. If you yell or throw something you draw attention to yourself as a target. So it concluded, run, in all cases it concluded for a better chance of survival. On a college campus you have the option of legally defending yourself.
That brings up another problem though. This guy did the right thing. When told to throw the gun down, he bent over to lay it down so it wouldn't go off accidentally. He didn't raise it or point it, nothing threatening in any way. But He got shot.

https://lawandcrime.com/crazy/the-good- ... ch-gunman/

Not to offend anyone's religion but this was just weird to me.

http://www.lehighvalleylive.com/news/in ... s_wit.html

I can't find the picture I saw last week of the priestess sprinkling holy water on an AR15, guess it's been deleted. The guy with the crown of bullets and the gilded AR are hard to understand.
Is meat from a hog shot with a blessed gun thus kosher for those of the Jewish faith to eat or must the bullets themselves be blessed with holy water too?

51eleven":oiskv356 said:
Mark F, as you started this thread I'm wondering if you received the same school active shooter training I did (a while after Virginia Tech in my case). An e-mail and a laminated credit card sized card with the three key points on it. One is run. If you can't be seen by the shooter get away. Two was hide (where in most cases?). Three is fight back if no other choice. Yell angrily at the shooter (???), throw something (a stapler?) at them. I read an article last week that challenged the latter two ideas. It referred to a study by I forget who, maybe the FBI, that active shooters in these cases have a 6 or maybe it was a 9% kill rate on moving targets. If you hide behind a desk your a stationary target to be walked up on. If you yell or throw something you draw attention to yourself as a target. So it concluded, run, in all cases it concluded for a better chance of survival. On a college campus you have the option of legally defending yourself.
That brings up another problem though. This guy did the right thing. When told to throw the gun down, he bent over to lay it down so it wouldn't go off accidentally. He didn't raise it or point it, nothing threatening in any way. But He got shot.

https://lawandcrime.com/crazy/the-good- ... -disarmed-
church-gunman/
No training unless we consider practicing "lockdown" procedure and thats done maybe every 6 weeks or so

51eleven":2evb7ec4 said:
Is meat from a hog shot with a blessed gun thus kosher for those of the Jewish faith to eat or must the bullets themselves be blessed with holy water too?

I don't believe it would be kosher. That was an interesting article on wedding renewals. Just when I thought I'd seen it all.

topher80":2fysuo21 said:
Meth exists here and it mostly sprayed onto marijuana but it is not a problem locally *yet*. The big one that is killing many Torontoians is fake Fentanyl patches which come into Canada from illegal Chinese chemistry factories through the port of Vancouver. No one can tell the difference until they are dead due to the chemical formula being slightly off and way too strong. The ads on the radio explaining the dangers of Fentanyl can be 10,000x stronger than morphine which is bananas. Anyone who has had a serious injury or surgery knows morphine is strong as heck.
Meth sprayed on weed? Dang,wonder which way that would make you go,Weed,let's eat,let's lay around and get lazy,sleepy,Meth let's go nuts,let's go scrub the tile floors n our bathrooms with a toothbrush,let's stay awake for days,crazy to think of the two mixing,one laid back,one up for days,,I saw this on cops lol

Back