Second Amendment

Mark: I thought it was strange myself, I had never heard such a thing until a local police presentation to a few classes in the cafeteria earlier last year. I guess the meth gets you more hooked on the weed?

I know this will piss off some people I've gotten along with in the past but feel the need to say it.
IMO - only - , raising the age to purchase Any semi automatic weapon to 21 Might help this situation, Slightly, maybe.
During the Vietnam war the right to vote or drink alcohol being lowered to age 18 was questioned in light of being drafted in terms of the fact that you could get drafted and killed but not buy a beer or vote. John Wayne thought no one should be able to vote until 25.
Maturity helps develop some, but some never grow up.
Some children are taught to treat weapons responsibly and learn to use them so, many are not.
Such a law Might have prevented the last mass shooting in Florida. If determined the shooter could well have found another source or settled for a shotgun and semi automatic hand gun (which I like for self defense).
The Columbine shooters obtained weapons from adult's, planned in advance, created distractions as well as bombs in advance.
The Sandy Hook shooter was disturbed throughout his youth. His single momma bought him a gun basically as a toy and took him to the shooting range.
The Virginia Tech shooter was a college senior, well over 21.
The Vegas shooter was 64.
Once again, I don't have any answers but worry about my kids and grandchildren.

Title 10, USC, Ch 13, sec 311:

§311. Militia: composition and classes

(a) The militia of the United States consists of all able-bodied males at least 17 years of age and, except as provided in section 313 of title 32, under 45 years of age who are, or who have made a declaration of intention to become, citizens of the United States and of female citizens of the United States who are members of the National Guard.

(b) The classes of the militia are—

(1) the organized militia, which consists of the National Guard and the Naval Militia; and

(2) the unorganized militia, which consists of the members of the militia who are not members of the National Guard or the Naval Militia.

(Aug. 10, 1956, ch. 1041, 70A Stat. 14; Pub. L. 85–861, §1(7), Sept. 2, 1958, 72 Stat. 1439; Pub. L. 103–160, div. A, title V, §524(a), Nov. 30, 1993, 107 Stat. 1656.)

US Constitution, Article 2, Section 2:

The President shall be Commander in Chief of the Army and Navy of the United States, and of the Militia of the several States, when called into the actual Service of the United States

topher80":22d4itvo said:
OBK: Thank you!! I appreciate your post as it clearly defines what the militia means in the US. :)

You're quite welcome. Many folks on the gun control side here try to ignore this law in their interpretation of the 2nd Amendment. The law is very old but has been amended/updated several times.

And that is seemingly a huge problem. People don't ask questions or want to hear all the answers/point of view. The narrow scope of thinking in today's society is pathetic but easily controllable. If people truly informed themselves of matters far and wide, it would be a lot more difficult to govern such a people because they wouldn't put up with the governmental s&*t that happens daily around the world.

topher80":3thxoe5x said:
The wording in the constitution presents a whole heap of problems in itself...

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

I read that as it is a militia, such as the modern day National Guard, who should be armed and willing to defend against governmental tyranny. Naturally, the wording can be read and interpreted a number of ways to support one's point of view/beliefs.

I pray for the senseless killing of innocent citizens to end.

You read it wrong. "well regulated militia" is probably the most misunderstood and misapplied portion of the 2nd Amendment.

"Well regulated" in the vernacular of the times meant "fine working order". Like a well crafted watch.

"Militia" consisted of every male citizen in the US. All US citizens are part of the militia.

This nonsense that the 2nd Amendment is intended for hunting and home/family protection is a load of donkey dung. The 2nd Amendment is a God-given right to protect our society from invaders, tyrants, and our own government. No government has the right to disarm, or in any way infringe on a person's liberty....unless mindless dolts willingly cede that natural right to a government that will gladly, and selfishly usurp it.

Back