Richland Springs: The Tradition

This is always a futile argument IMO. At the end of the day it doesn’t matter who’s on your schedule. IF you make the playoffs you get weeded out one way or another. Winning or losing. I think we’re all in agreement the best teams make it the furthest in the playoffs So you actually will play the very best of the best so to speak in you’re respective region and so on. Rankings mean nothing we no that, it’s for fans and media ect. The kids have to play. The only thing that’s really being argued here is teams scheduling what YOU think it should be. I don’t think many coaches give a rats what us fans want for our own personal enjoyment.

Let ole Klactuu have his fun. Theres still plenty of season for things to go wrong, player injuries, lol refs (jokes) and all other variables. Once playoffs hit IF you make it anybody can be beaten on any given night.

This strength of scheduling thing has been beat to death. I’m all for a tough schedule. I believe it builds character and unity in a team that faces the best teams weekly. However, scheduling isn’t an easy issue. Getting top ranked teams to play each other is difficult. Sure we see it happening and we like it but to get that game scheduled is difficult. Dates and distances traveled have to be factored in and so and so on. It’s just not as easy as saying we wanna play WB or Benjamin or whoever. I think you should try to schedule those games but sometimes it’s just about filling in a spot with whoever gives you a yes. Long time ago only top ten teams were ranked plus districts were larger. So you played who you could get to play maybe three games at best then district started. Definitely no control on how good teams are in your district year to year. So play who’s in front of ya and the rest will work itself out.
100 %

I get it. RS has had some great success the past 20 ish years. However, before that not so much. So this championships run in our blood stuff is funny to me. Like I said earlier on. Must of had a blood transfusion.
Absolutely right Tiger. I’ve always heard stories RS got a transfusion from Cherokee and May in the heyday. Then doubled it. 😂 so it could be a blood thing.

We are taking about this year because this guys post literally says see you at Jerry’s world, calm down everyone we all know they have had some really good teams.
Trust me I'm calm as only 1 team can work me up but it seems we hear this yr after yr about RS. I dont think they will be at Jerry's world this yr but then again I wouldn't be shocked in the least if they where.

Absolutely right Tiger. I’ve always heard stories RS got a transfusion from Cherokee and May in the heyday. Then doubled it. 😂 so it could be a blood thing.
Well now that makes perfect sense. It would have taken a Cherokee or May guy to put some life in RS. I did get around a bit in my day sure Cherokee guy did as well. So does mean ya need to add another asterisk?? Lol.

Well now that makes perfect sense. It would have taken a Cherokee or May guy to put some life in RS. I did get around a bit in my day sure Cherokee guy did as well. So does mean ya need to add another asterisk?? Lol.
Nobody said it was a guy but as old as you two are the blood must have been pretty thin considering how far back it came from. I don’t know who you are so didn’t see your genes in action I don’t believe ( probably did) but I can assure you it wasn’t Litos. (He’s a good guy I’m just messing with him) I’ve seen those. Lol

Yes please throw them wherever you like it makes no difference.

Nobody said it was a guy but as old as you two are the blood must have been pretty thin considering how far back it came from. I don’t know who you are so didn’t see your genes in action I don’t believe ( probably did) but I can assure you it wasn’t Litos. (He’s a good guy I’m just messing with him) I’ve seen those. Lol

Yes please throw them wherever you like it makes no difference.
Yea we are getting on up there in years. No doubt about that. Lito is good people. If you are from RS and old enough to remember the 80’s you might have seen me. But not for long against RS. Coach pulled us out once we hit 30 or 1st qtr was over. and let the other kids play.

This talk reminds me of all the NCAA scheduling scuttlebutt, like how Alabama schedules soft. At the end of the day, championships are how we measure champions, not their schedules.
That statement is patently incorrect. Why? The rankings only guarantee the two state champions are the highest ranked, but does not account for the multitude of the other good sixman teams ranked below the champions! Mike admitted he imputs a certain value for each team at the start of the season some how arrived at by returning players and previous years results. If he consistently places(imputs) a higher value on schools like RS the system is already skewed to begin with. As we all know RS hasn't won the championship in a few years so why don't all the teams start out the same beginning ranking(value) and let them EARN their lofty rankings instead of ordaining them. This privileged character status afforded RS gets old. The same situation used to exist in College Football when Notre Dame would be awarded the National Championship with an eight win, two loss season. You say that the rankings aren't important, and you are right to a certain extent. But then why are you reading this? Need to call it your opinion poll instead of a ranking system.

Yea we are getting on up there in years. No doubt about that. Lito is good people. If you are from RS and old enough to remember the 80’s you might have seen me. But not for long against RS. Coach pulled us out once we hit 30 or 1st qtr was over. and let the other kids play.
Hopefully RS got rid of all the stickers and learned to mow the grass by now. Lol we hated playing there.

Absolutely not. I was talking about your offspring lol. Look at you bragging about the team you said wasn’t anything in the early days. You ole ball player you.

Absolutely not. I was talking about your offspring lol. Look at you bragging about the team you said wasn’t anything in the early days. You ole ball player you.
No boys in my offspring. Either God knew what would happen to them if they were like me or Karma truly is a bitch. Lol.

I think they fixed that seemed to be slippery at times though. Gotta be careful practicing on it. One false step and you can slide right into a championship. Lol
That not mowing the field was common back then. My coach would throw fits about it but when ya show on Friday to play it’s not like they are gonna delay the start to mow. That happened in all levels back then. Coach Gordon Woods from brownwood hated that crap too.

Truthfully I really kinda just laugh about the recruiting thing. I was in the era when it was common. Coach Woods at brownwood won his last state championship with at least three kids that I can remember being brought in. QB being one of those. It was no big deal to us back then.
Of course rules were way different then.

Truthfully I really kinda just laugh about the recruiting thing. I was in the era when it was common. Coach Woods at brownwood won his last state championship with at least three kids that I can remember being brought in. QB being one of those. It was no big deal to us back then.
Of course rules were way different then.
Don’t think I don’t bring that up when someone from the Wood has something to say about such things. 😂

To this point in the season, for the top 10 teams in UIL DII, the average strength of schedule rating is 251. Richland Springs sits at 204.46, which is 2nd lowest amongst those top 10 teams in DII.
Out of curiosity who has the highest and lowest strength of schedule ratings in the D1 & D2 top 10?

It's great to be a fan of your hometown football team but the reality doesn't match your loyalty. RS has played the least competitive schedule of any supposedly highly ranked school over the last ten years just to look good in the rankings. If the sixman rankings were determined with the rankings of the competition played against considered, RS would be ranked about #20 each season. RS consistently plays the newbies and basketball schools to run up that victory total.
The only teams difficult to beat for Richland Springs have been Calvert, Cherokee, and Oakwood on a year- year-out basis not counting playoffs. Say: what happened to Calvert? Seems like a fight at a game or something like that sunk their season. It is ok If you would rather not say. We all have skeletons in the closet. Some have skeleTONS.

If he consistently places(imputs) a higher value on schools like RS the system is already skewed to begin with.

I don't bump any teams up unless I get new information on kids moving in that might help make the team better. For example, when Rigdon and Hayes both moved into Benjamin. I bumped them up because I knew the addition of both of those kids would make that team better. I lower teams for similar reasons. For example, if I know a team is losing a lot of their starters to graduation. I don't move teams around just for the sake of moving them. I'm certainly not moving teams around because of how many state championships they've won in the past.

I'd say 90% of the teams are ranked close to where they finished the previous season. I just move the rating numbers up or down to get the numbers closer together when the season starts.

Out of curiosity who has the highest and lowest strength of schedule ratings in the D1 & D2 top 10?

In D1, the lowest is Miami (226.4) and the highest is Rankin (315.33).

In D2, it's Rochelle (180.27) and Klondike (295.75).

The only teams difficult to beat for Richland Springs have been Calvert, Cherokee, and Oakwood on a year- year-out basis not counting playoffs. Say: what happened to Calvert? Seems like a fight at a game or something like that sunk their season. It is ok If you would rather not say. We all have skeletons in the closet. Some have skeleTONS.
Well, let's consider what you said. It looks like an easy schedule when you 45 a team. Nothing comes easy. What's the goal? To Win and still have all your players for state. Even with an earsy schedule, won't the cream rise to the top and the yo-yos will sink to the bottom (heard that in the Army). I remember a few years back when JB decided to play #1 in Div.1 (I May be right or wrong) One of the best players on his team ended up with a broken leg and there goes the season. I think it would be better to save the tough teams for the playoffs. (Hey, the Cowboys are looking for someone to beat-Cowboys are not very fast and you can count on passes going everywhere).

Back