rankings

Not trying to hide this info. I seem to post the same types of answers a couple of times a year and send quite a few more personal emails to people with questions/complaints. I need specific questions, as I look at the whole system, not one team

always recommend ppl check out the why_test page

PopRay":ayxel1vq said:
I was referring to that "Toy" that most people see on the site...good adjustment HK!
Tell you what Pop, why don't you just post your own rankings? That way everybody will be happy, happy, happy.....

Once the play offs start rankings mean nothing. Right now there are only eight teams left in each division so they should be ranked 1-8. Having teams who have lost ranked higher makes no sense. If a team has already lost there is no possible way they can be in the top two at the end of the year. Only the two teams who play for the championship can be 1 and 2. One will finish as state champs and the other is runner up.

In response to the last post, I don't think that is what this system is all about. You can say the two teams in the championship game are the best two teams, but that doesn't make it true. That conclusion ignores the arbitrary placement of teams in the tournament where it is possible that the two best teams would face each other in the first round of the playoffs. It really makes no sense to conclude that Savoy is a better team that Throckmorton or Water Valley because Savoy is still playing and the other teams are not. If the brackets were seeded, you would at least have a better argument; but even then you would have to consider the determination of which teams should be seeded where is a subjective determination.

I think you would be better off looking less at the system as a "ranking" system and more a way to predict how teams would do against one another. If you look at the rankings, there are teams that are less than 10 points apart in their value that are 15 ranking spots from each other in the "rankings". I'm no math wiz, but I imagine if you considered standard deviation of the formula and whatever other fancy word for error that may be baked in, the only conclusion that you could make about teams that have values less than 10 points from each other is that it should be a good game if the two teams played. Placing the teams into a rank based upon their value just seems like a fun, obvious thing to do once you have the numbers, but I don't think that part of it is as useful as the predictive aspect.

What you are right about is that if your team keeps winning, they will be the number one team in the state in the only ranking system that counts.

texmac68":tdw6r53t said:
Once the play offs start rankings mean nothing. Right now there are only eight teams left in each division so they should be ranked 1-8. Having teams who have lost ranked higher makes no sense. If a team has already lost there is no possible way they can be in the top two at the end of the year. Only the two teams who play for the championship can be 1 and 2. One will finish as state champs and the other is runner up.
Ha, in a perfect world maybe.

GSB":1tu25581 said:
In response to the last post, I don't think that is what this system is all about. You can say the two teams in the championship game are the best two teams, but that doesn't make it true. That conclusion ignores the arbitrary placement of teams in the tournament where it is possible that the two best teams would face each other in the first round of the playoffs. It really makes no sense to conclude that Savoy is a better team that Throckmorton or Water Valley because Savoy is still playing and the other teams are not. If the brackets were seeded, you would at least have a better argument; but even then you would have to consider the determination of which teams should be seeded where is a subjective determination.

I think you would be better off looking less at the system as a "ranking" system and more a way to predict how teams would do against one another. If you look at the rankings, there are teams that are less than 10 points apart in their value that are 15 ranking spots from each other in the "rankings". I'm no math wiz, but I imagine if you considered standard deviation of the formula and whatever other fancy word for error that may be baked in, the only conclusion that you could make about teams that have values less than 10 points from each other is that it should be a good game if the two teams played. Placing the teams into a rank based upon their value just seems like a fun, obvious thing to do once you have the numbers, but I don't think that part of it is as useful as the predictive aspect.

What you are right about is that if your team keeps winning, they will be the number one team in the state in the only ranking system that counts.
Very very well said. Great job GSB!!!

I have always felt that seeding would help the playoff system we have now. Not to determine who got in, but to place teams once they earned their spot. It wouldn't be perfect, but it would be better than what we have now.

smokeyjoe53":jogklaea said:
PopRay":jogklaea said:
I was referring to that "Toy" that most people see on the site...good adjustment HK!
Tell you what Pop, why don't you just post your own rankings? That way everybody will be happy, happy, happy.....

You can never make all the people "happy" all the time....

Granger and HK do a fine job...it's not a job I would like and most people can't appreciate it if, they don't understand how it works and the work that goes into it...

Rankings like people are not perfect, teams and boys do the strangest things sometimes and that is part of the joy of the game... Thankful we have a playoff system based on "playing the game on the field' and not based on rank!

GSB":hrgvieor said:

My point is this there is no way Throckmorton or Water Valley can beat Savoy this years so just rank the teams that are left. As far as seedings go who would decide. I keep seeing people talk about no team ranked in the top 5 from the east but if you look at the coaches poll May has been #5 for a while now. There have been quite a few upsets on my bracket this year and I do not think the upsets have ended just yet.

PopRay":2636on6a said:
smokeyjoe53":2636on6a said:
PopRay":2636on6a said:

Granger and HK do a fine job...it's not a job I would like and most people can't appreciate it if, they don't understand how it works and the work that goes into it...

Rankings like people are not perfect, teams and boys do the strangest things sometimes and that is part of the joy of the game... Thankful we have a playoff system based on "playing the game on the field' and not based on rank!
Everybody else doesn't have to be happy...... Only me.....as I've said many times on here, I release my rankings the day after the championship and they only have 2 teams. D1 & D2 champions. Everything else is moot. You can argue that a lesser team won but the point is they won. Conjecture doesn't change events.

smokeyjoe53":26is6wjn said:
PopRay":26is6wjn said:
smokeyjoe53":26is6wjn said:
PopRay":26is6wjn said:

Everybody else doesn't have to be happy...... Only me.....as I've said many times on here, I release my rankings the day after the championship and they only have 2 teams. D1 & D2 champions. Everything else is moot. You can argue that a lesser team won but the point is they won. Conjecture doesn't change events.

well said.

granger":e829yxtg said:
well said GSB

now awaiting freeagent's post on the only perfect person he knew… 3, 2, 1

'tis the season

Nah. My take on the playoffs is this. You play every week until somebody tells you to stay home or hands you a trophy.

SmokeyJoe: Those are some awful intelligent words you're using. You sound like you know what you're talking about. Good enough for me. Well said. All I can say is, "It ain't over till the fat lady sings." May the best team win. What does conjecture mean?

However the Savoy-May game turns out, this has been a successful year for the Cardinals..Very proud of the way this team has played..These guys deserve a round of applause..Pretty good for only the second year in sixman..No one is giving us a chance but I know they will give it their all and won't quit.

texmac68":1xp565no said:
My point is this there is no way Throckmorton or Water Valley can beat Savoy this years so just rank the teams that are left. As far as seedings go who would decide. I keep seeing people talk about no team ranked in the top 5 from the east but if you look at the coaches poll May has been #5 for a while now. There have been quite a few upsets on my bracket this year and I do not think the upsets have ended just yet.

Now this is just crazy talk.

a) saying that Throckmorton and Water Valley cannot beat Savoy this year just because they are no longer in the 'tournament' is extremely weak. First off, Savoy cannot beat those teams either. Just because they will not play, does not infer whether one is better than the other.

b) so in this pseudo ranking you envision, here's what you think. Those that do make the playoffs are automatically in the top-32 (divisional rankings). Those who lose second round are at least top-16… and so forth and so on. How do you determine rankings prior to week 10 in this system? Your system is based on achieving a specific round. How do the teams that did not make the playoffs get ranked? Are you changing methodology once the playoffs start? any system solely based on achieving a specific result (round of a tournament) is not very sound in predicting the results in the future and also excludes a large portion of the population.

The rankings I post on this website and have made public now for 21 seasons are intended to a) include everyone b) be used as a predictive tool, c) give an idea of theoretical outcomes and d) rank a team's body of work

and yes, upsets do occur. That's actually the fun part. It is real life. With almost 400 teams in the system, it will never be perfect. With 10 teams in the system it wouldn't be perfect.

Back