rankings

I see where you are coming from Granger. Never said your system was bad, just wondered how you got your rankings. Now that you explained your logic, I can see things a little better.

no worries… discourse is good.

also, I am not saying the algorithm never changes. It does based on certain factors involving variance and size of the system… but only between seasons.

Bob Marley":3go61nk4 said:
At the end of the day there's only one ranking that matters, in the end of the season if your team is ranked #1 in D1 or D2
I couldn't disagree more. That would imply the Ricky Bobby philosophy "if you ain't first, yer last!" Which just isn't true. Success is relative.
Savoy, like already stated, made it further than expected, knocked off a team that they "wasn't supposed to beat" and all of that in their second year.
Ogles by, did you see their improvement from last year? Enough said.
Gustine, they started with 6 players, never had to forfeit a game and finished the season, with the same 6. That's a successful season.
So to say that the only ranking that matters is the #1 at the end of the season is, well, for lack of a better word, just stupid.

All I'm saying is don't get your panties in a wad over rankings............... Rankings are fine to play with and I wish I had the aptitude to design a ranking system........Obviously I don't. Rankings do not influence my thoughts or feelings about teams. I guess if I was laying lots of cash on Sixman games I would pay closer attention to point spreads, rankings and other factors. I'm pretty "Ricky Bobby" in that I just enjoy the games........... I guess that makes me happy & stupid but I try to keep things in proper perspective. No matter how you dissect it, Football is still a game played by kids for the enjoyment of adults.

I don't like the idea that high school football is just for the enjoyment of the adults, even though I fall right into that catagory. Most of all the kids need to enjoy playing football. If they don't enjoy the results of the dicipline, practices, the "atta-boys" from their community and the comradery with their teammates, then we need to look closer at why we have teamsports. I am proud of Gustine's accomplishments and I don't even live there. I will grant you that is easier to enjoy a sport when you are in the middle of a winning streak, rather than a losing streak. But each community should be proud of their team for whatever improvement they have made during the year.

hornkeeper12":ihqr5lfx said:
Bob Marley":ihqr5lfx said:
At the end of the day there's only one ranking that matters, in the end of the season if your team is ranked #1 in D1 or D2
I couldn't disagree more. That would imply the Ricky Bobby philosophy "if you ain't first, yer last!" Which just isn't true. Success is relative.
Savoy, like already stated, made it further than expected, knocked off a team that they "wasn't supposed to beat" and all of that in their second year.
Ogles by, did you see their improvement from last year? Enough said.
Gustine, they started with 6 players, never had to forfeit a game and finished the season, with the same 6. That's a successful season.
So to say that the only ranking that matters is the #1 at the end of the season is, well, for lack of a better word, just stupid.

Well said HK!

I don't know where Gustine is ranked nor do I care where they are ranked. Their rank does not diminish their accomplishments.
Each team should be ranked #1 in their fans hearts & minds.

hornkeeper12":1ab2esxv said:
Bob Marley":1ab2esxv said:

Gustine, they started with 6 players, never had to forfeit a game and finished the season, with the same 6.

Not that it matters even a little bit, but my understanding was that Gustine started out with 22, then dwindled to 6.

True, they started 2-a-days with 22 or some number close to that, but they started their games, week 0 with 6.

As far as the other stuff, I just feel that football, while it may be for our enjoyment, is for the kids. To diminish the hard work of a team by saying that if they don't win it all thn they don't matter is ridiculous. Yeah, the ultimate goal should be to win state, but there should be other goals. And teams that meet most or even some of those goals can have what they feel as a successful season.
People spout about how rankings don't matter, but then complain about them. Rankings have always been a part of it. Nobody thinks a ranking can guarantee a win or doom you to a loss, if they do they are just dumb. So why say it? Constant remarks such as, (in my best stupid person voice) "its not the bcs, that's why we play on the field, der herr herr". No kidding? You don't say!!!

Well I don't know much about the rankings and except its fun to look at. But I do know one thing for darn sure it is at leaset 20 degrees, maybe more, colder on the loosing side than the winning side. Been on the wrong side to many times over the years. But when your on that winning side it just isn't as cold. Doesn't have anything to do with rankings just a fact.

granger":d6qseuzp said:
texmac68":d6qseuzp said:
My point is this there is no way Throckmorton or Water Valley can beat Savoy this years so just rank the teams that are left. As far as seedings go who would decide. I keep seeing people talk about no team ranked in the top 5 from the east but if you look at the coaches poll May has been #5 for a while now. There have been quite a few upsets on my bracket this year and I do not think the upsets have ended just yet.

Now this is just crazy talk.

a) saying that Throckmorton and Water Valley cannot beat Savoy this year just because they are no longer in the 'tournament' is extremely weak. First off, Savoy cannot beat those teams either. Just because they will not play, does not infer whether one is better than the other.

b) so in this pseudo ranking you envision, here's what you think. Those that do make the playoffs are automatically in the top-32 (divisional rankings). Those who lose second round are at least top-16… and so forth and so on. How do you determine rankings prior to week 10 in this system? Your system is based on achieving a specific round. How do the teams that did not make the playoffs get ranked? Are you changing methodology once the playoffs start? any system solely based on achieving a specific result (round of a tournament) is not very sound in predicting the results in the future and also excludes a large portion of the population.

The rankings I post on this website and have made public now for 21 seasons are intended to a) include everyone b) be used as a predictive tool, c) give an idea of theoretical outcomes and d) rank a team's body of work

and yes, upsets do occur. That's actually the fun part. It is real life. With almost 400 teams in the system, it will never be perfect. With 10 teams in the system it wouldn't be perfect.

First I would say you have done a good job with your rankings and I hope that I have not implied otherwise. I do think that as teams fall out of contention that we should rank what is left. When our football season is over I do not look at rankings anymore I watch b-ball and continue to support my children. Happy Thanksgiving and God bless.

The only thing I complain about in regard to rankings is people complaining about where their team is ranked......
I don't mean to diminish the work people put into the various ranking systems but I just happen to not care where a team is ranked. I just don't see the purpose of rankings.
If my #140 ranked team is playing #1, I still want my team to win. If you think about it rankings may have an adverse affect on games because kids may actually believe they have no shot at winning..,.......

I think you can say it like this...there is only one ranking that is beyond reasonable dispute and that is that the state champion is the best team in that division. Everything after that - like who is #2, 3, 4,..., could 4 beat 2, or could DI #1 beat DII #1 is all up for argument...and the arguing is fun.

Also, I think any coach will tell you that where you are ranked is not even close to being the most important thing that comes out of these boys playing football and to the communities that come out to support them.

Back