Rankings

Now, back to the rankings.... please.

I meant to add that for the first three weeks, the favorites are +75% winners and the system is getting 'better'

90-36 71.4%
93-34 73.2%
104-21 83.2%

287-91 75.9%

granger":3fmonq5a said:
Now, back to the rankings.... please.

I meant to add that for the first three weeks, the favorites are +75% winners and the system is getting 'better'

90-36 71.4%
93-34 73.2%
104-21 83.2%

287-91 75.9%

I remember an old site on Rivals.com called SixmanWeekly or something that averaged a little over 86% not just for wins, but for the line... but I think they used the eye test along with a formula. Had some decent message boards, but that guy quit after 2 years. 20 plus years of constant ridicule, impressive. ;)

granger":2c2k1zg9 said:
as for the making the big bucks.... I am without a job as I hit school for another degree at the ripe old age of 48. So, it you are so inclined, please hit those things that produce money for me often....LOL

What are you Mastering, or are you Piling Higher and Deeper?

6manfootballmom":1n6j0mjw said:
oldfat&bald":1n6j0mjw said:
I'm just waiting on some east Texas mommy to complain about not being able to find a school on a road map.

OFB, are you talking about me?

I kinda resemble that remark :)

Until you start constantly chewing Mr Granger Sir out about your team not being ranked high enough, become a raging Mack Brown fan, and move to Aquilla, you're safe mom.

oldfat&bald":22fkmwym said:
Oh yeah, you gotta start talking smack on the teams ranked ahead of you too.

That would be every team in D1.
I'm sure one day (hopefully soon) we won't be ranked last.
Just gotta keep up the wins!

The only flaw is there is no way a computer or program can factor in "the eye-ball test".

If you have seen teams play then you have a pretty good idea which one would beat the other just based on styles of play and other factors that have to be witnessed first hand. Just an off hand example from the past...1999 Panther Creek ended up ranked 3rd by the system and Groom 2nd...the eye-ball test having witnessed both teams play the same opponent only one week apart (Gordon), Panther Creek looked better all around than Groom and by the eye-ball test would have likely beaten Groom head to head, therefore Panther Creek should have ended the season rank #2.

This is just a single example...it is like this for every single school...and therefore impossible to rank every school correctly...these are just best guesses by a computer system/program...if and when someone can factor in some sort of "eye-ball test"...this system is probably the best we can get if you are ranking the entire states six-man schools. That's why Granger has always said top 10s (or 25) is easy to do it ranking everyone that is hard...again...a system like this is the best answer to that but will never be perfect.

Alas, every rating system fails in comparison to the most perfect ranking system known and devised by man -- the BCS ranking system!

(Sarcasm key now turned off!)

emc008":o6qz2yqc said:
What is wrong with the BCS? Or do we just complain about it because the so-called experts on TV complain about it?

Under the BCS format, national champions are crowned based solely on the subjective opinions of those who have ordained themselves as "experts".

This isn't ice skating or interpretive gymnastics. It's football, and the champion should be determined on the field, not from behind the keyboard of a Yale graduate who was picked last for every athletic contest on the school playground.

rainjacktx":miowdg6e said:
emc008":miowdg6e said:
What is wrong with the BCS? Or do we just complain about it because the so-called experts on TV complain about it?

Under the BCS format, national champions are crowned based solely on the subjective opinions of those who have ordained themselves as "experts".

This isn't ice skating or interpretive gymnastics. It's football, and the champion should be determined on the field, not from behind the keyboard of a Yale graduate who was picked last for every athletic contest on the school playground.

So according to your analysis of the BCS format, a team who goes winless in the season can play for the championship. I do not think you meant that of course, but due to our ferocity of emotions and ridiculous nerve, we jump to conclusions. Not that I support the BCS, I am just tired of everyone going crazy over how horrible it is because our emotions get in the way of truly what the system does. The system does take into consideration and determined by the playing field each week. Look into that a little bit more before we start going off the deep end making crazy accusations on emotions.

emc008":3lkyehej said:
rainjacktx":3lkyehej said:
emc008":3lkyehej said:

So according to your analysis of the BCS format, a team who goes winless in the season can play for the championship. I do not think you meant that of course, but due to our ferocity of emotions and ridiculous nerve, we jump to conclusions. Not that I support the BCS, I am just tired of everyone going crazy over how horrible it is because our emotions get in the way of truly what the system does. The system does take into consideration and determined by the playing field each week. Look into that a little bit more before we start going off the deep end making crazy accusations on emotions.
What kind of "even more messed up than the BCS" scenario are you using that would put a winless team in the championship? I believe the goal of the majority is that there is a playoff system just like almost every other level of almost every team sport, and that the playoff system determines who goes to the championship......... AKA, determined on the field. (Keep your obscure knowledge about juniors uderwater horseshoe tossing teams playoff system being determined by drawing dominoes to yourself.) If we wanted the computer, paper, opinions to determine the championship, we would just do that instead of there being games where people have to work hard and risk injury. Oh wait, I just described the BCS.

emc008":3p18ckdd said:
rainjacktx":3p18ckdd said:
emc008":3p18ckdd said:

No crazy emotions. This has been going on since forever. Every other NCAA-sanctioned sport, regardless of division, has a playoff system - except D-1 football. And unless one has been living under a rock for the last 40 years, or longer, it has been impossible to not hear the rumblings for a playoff system.

There is no system. subjective rankings have a say in whatever calculations currently go into determining #1 and #2. It is decided by others instead of on the field.

The notion that a winless team would somehow make it out of conference play and earn a playoff birth is - well - tell me when that has ever happened - ever.

Now if a team goes 0-4 then sweeps their conference, they deserve to be in the playoffs and has earned a chance to compete for the national title. Just because some brainless twit like Mel Kiper thinks otherwise should be inconsequential. that guy's wrong more often than the weather man.

Back