Rank

Bynum

11-man fan
Rankings are just a number, but just one question about it. How could there be only 8 teams left and some teams are not even involved in the 8? Regardless of schedule if you are one of the elite 8 left you are in the top 8 teams on the state.

I see your point and agree with it slightly. The teams left are 1-8 from a mere placing standpoint.

However, that doesn't necessarily mean that they're the best eight teams in the state, just as how sometimes the two teams playing in the championship may not necessarily be the best two teams in the state. The best two teams could actually meet up before the championship if they're on the same side of the bracket. For all we know there are teams who have lost to one of the remaining teams that could have beat another one of the remaining eight. I'd imagine also that sometimes there are teams who don't even make the playoffs that could beat other teams that do so I wouldn't necessarily say that all the teams that are in the playoffs are all the best teams in the state either. Some districts are stronger and some are weaker.

I hope my post doesn't come off as me trying to take anything away from any of the remaining teams. These may very well be the best eight teams in the state and they've all certainly worked all season and earned their spot here. Also, I'll be the first to admit the rankings aren't perfect, and never will be. I'm just pointing out that it's quite possible that during any given week of the playoffs there are teams sitting at home while teams they could beat are moving on. This is the same for any sport and it doesn't matter if it's high school, college or the pros.

Again, I see the point you're making but I think it's a lot more complex than just saying the teams left are always the best teams in the state.

I agree.
I see your point and agree with it slightly. The teams left are 1-8 from a mere placing standpoint.

However, that doesn't necessarily mean that they're the best eight teams in the state, just as how sometimes the two teams playing in the championship may not necessarily be the best two teams in the state. The best two teams could actually meet up before the championship if they're on the same side of the bracket. For all we know there are teams who have lost to one of the remaining teams that could have beat another one of the remaining eight. I'd imagine also that sometimes there are teams who don't even make the playoffs that could beat other teams that do so I wouldn't necessarily say that all the teams that are in the playoffs are all the best teams in the state either. Some districts are stronger and some are weaker.

I hope my post doesn't come off as me trying to take anything away from any of the remaining teams. These may very well be the best eight teams in the state and they've all certainly worked all season and earned their spot here. Also, I'll be the first to admit the rankings aren't perfect, and never will be. I'm just pointing out that it's quite possible that during any given week of the playoffs there are teams sitting at home while teams they could beat are moving on. This is the same for any sport and it doesn't matter if it's high school, college or the pros.

Again, I see the point you're making but I think it's a lot more complex than just saying the teams left are always the best teams in the state.
I agree with you. I’m sure Jonesboro could have beaten some of the remaining teams but as it worked out they get put out early. Happens in every division every year. Sometimes luck of the draw is a good thing sometimes it’s not. I’d bet their are more than one team in the gym already that if they were in a different bracket would still be in the mix. As Ol Forrest Gump says “It Happens”.

Exactly and we’ll said both of y’all! That was my thoughts exactly! I not trying to make people upset or step on toes I was merely expressing once u hit the playoffs should be changed on the rankings to reflect the season for that year is all I’m saying!

Hello. I understand your task of ranking, with 100s of teams including private schools is monumental. Example. In Tapps Div 2, Holy Trinity dropped to 12 from 8 after losing to a very good Conroe Covenant Christian team. However, HT beat 2 of the teams above them, even though they were underdog. Another team above HT was defeated by one of the teams HT beat in the first round, handily. HT scored more points vs Covenant than all their opponents except Emory, No 1 in Div, their only loss, and a non-district Austin Royals team. I do believe your top 6 or so teams in each class are pretty spot on. But, noticed the discrepancy. And HT has a better record than one of the teams they defeated that is ranked above.
cgap

Hello. I understand your task of ranking, with 100s of teams including private schools is monumental. Example. In Tapps Div 2, Holy Trinity dropped to 12 from 8 after losing to a very good Conroe Covenant Christian team. However, HT beat 2 of the teams above them, even though they were underdog. Another team above HT was defeated by one of the teams HT beat in the first round, handily. HT scored more points vs Covenant than all their opponents except Emory, No 1 in Div, their only loss, and a non-district Austin Royals team. I do believe your top 6 or so teams in each class are pretty spot on. But, noticed the discrepancy. And HT has a better record than one of the teams they defeated that is ranked above.
cgap

I've been looking at this one for a while today and it has me questioning things a bit too. I'm not sure why they'd be ranked lower than a team they beat. However, this isn't the only instance of this happening. It happens all the time. In fact, HT is also ranked better than Azle, a team they lost to. The only explanation I can come up with here is that the best team they've beaten is Austin Hill Country, who has an overall ranking of 89. Austin Hill Country and Castle Hills both beat better teams.

One more thing I'll add, and I've mentioned it a few times this season, a single game, or even two games, don't determine an overall rank. Each week when the rankings are run, every game from the season is taken into consideration.

What I have noticed and I’m sure others have as well is it’s not by rank but points. If a team is 45 or more points higher than the team they are playing they will be favored by 45. If they are 20 points higher the spread will be close to 20. If you don’t cover the spread your likely to lose points even if you win the game.

Also back a few years the points a team received or lost was on the rankings. A team that had a buy could still add a few points to the total. What I gathered from that is you could add or lose points depending on the teams you beat and what they have done since.
Am I way off here Mike?

What I have noticed and I’m sure others have as well is it’s not by rank but points. If a team is 45 or more points higher than the team they are playing they will be favored by 45. If they are 20 points higher the spread will be close to 20. If you don’t cover the spread your likely to lose points even if you win the game.
Exactly

Back