Playoff Picture

FreyBCA

11-man fan
Well with half the season over I thought it would be fun to try to predict how the playoff picture will turn out for Division III.

What do you guys think?

Wow... Well, LKP and Notre Dame don't seem to be as dominant as usual. District 2 is a toss up. Notre Dame vs NCTA this week will make things a bit clearer. District 3 will be down to Seguin vs Freddy. District 4 will most likely be Living Stones. Early in the season, I said LKP and Heath Fulton in the north and Seguin Lifegate and Freddy in the south. I'm sticking with that, although I'm not as sure about the north anymore.
What are your thoughts?

I see a four team race in the North, at least today. Right now it's a toss up between Lubbock KP, WFND, Heath and Happy Hill (oh wait, Granbury North whatever..... I know I'm dating myself but they will always be Happy Hill). This week is a BIG game between Granbury and Notre Dame. Will it be a slugfest or a track meet? Granbury has played a tougher schedule and both teams are giving up a lot of points.

Another BIG game will be week 8 with Lubbock KP facing off against WFND. I haven't seen Lubbock play this year, are they still pass happy? And can anyone explain why they lost to Lubbock Home School? Is Lubbock facing the same situation as last year with athletes being ineligible? This game has the potential to be a high-scoring track meet.

Then in week 11 Granbury and Heath face off. By then things should have settled out but you never know in rivalry games. I see a road trip in my future.

The South has two clear favorites- Seguin and Freddy. Next week will be the big showdown in Seguin. I think Freddy has played a tougher schedule and is playing Freddy defense, but Seguin is scoring a lot of points. Seguin is young but they have had Freddy's number the last couple of years. I will have to be at this game.

If I had to pick today my semi-finalists from the South would be Seguin and Freddy. I just don't see anyone else stepping up. In the North I'd have to go with a rematch of last year's regional round playoff- Granbury (Happy Hill) and Lubbock.

IF I had to make picks now...
North: My top two are Heath and WFND.

Not sure what to make of the LKP loss to Lubbock home school....I'll call it early season bugs being worked out. Honestly, their schedule thus far has looked fairly weak to me, and the success limited. But, while I'm picking WFND, it wouldn't surprise me to see LKP take the District, especially given their playoff success last year. Also, I see WFND in a track meet this week against Happy Hill (NCTA). I don't think either team has the defense to truly hold the other at bay. It should be one heck of a shootout.

South: I'm going Freddy and Seguin.

Pretty plain and simple on this one...two teams with consistent success and tough schedules to prepare them for playoffs. Good coaching and good defense go the distance, so I have to pick Freddy as picking up the District title (finally, it's been long enough...). I think Freddy has played exceptionally well defensively against some powerful teams thus far, and made good competition, so I wouldn't mind much the two losses on their card. SL, while they may have seen an easier schedule than Freddy, is still showing that explosive relentless offense Coach Rabon cultivates over there. Not to mention SL always seems to get fired up for "Freddy Week", and it's shown the last few (too many) years.

On another note, can someone please explain, or post, the playoff bracket and/or how seeding works? I'm all screwed up with that...so it may make my picks look foolish.
Thank God for Six Man.

I've been hunting the numbers for wild card points to see what those four spots look like....it looks like most of the wild cards will come from the north.

Dixon, Here is the playoff brackets for Division III. I put my picks in, although 1. I have no clue about wild card teams and where they would end up, took a total guess 2. Picked my boys at BCA to pull the upset against Living Stones for District 4 3. I picked Seguin over Freddy for the district championship (I'm sure you are fond of that pick:) )

Wild Card – Richardson Canyon Creek
District 2 2nd - Granbury

District 1 1st – Bye – Wichita Falls Notre Dame

Wild Card – Brownwood Victory Life
District 1 2nd – Lubbock Kingdom Prep

District 2 1st – Bye – Longview Trinity

Wild Card – River City Believers
District 4 2nd – Alvin Living Stones

District 3 1st – Bye – Seguin Lifegate

Wild Card – Heath Fulton
District 3 2nd – Fredricksburg Heritage

District 4 1st – Bye – Brenham Christian

The folks at Notre Dame sure will like your bracket, Frey.

Anything that puts Freddy in the other half of the bracket is something they'll appreciate.

Dixon, if Seguin manages to get past Freddy, and we can manage to upset Alvin and win District 4, we'd hit you guys first. Pretty much no matter how we end up in District 4, we are going to have to gear up for Freddy or Seguin in round 2.

From what I've seen in the North, District 2 is a toss-up. I've watched Fulton for years, and they lack depth this year that they had in previous years. Still electric on offense with great speed in their starting 6, but have only 3 to 4 kids behind that. New coach who is new to six-man too. Should be an interesting finish.

pup":q3rr8j6t said:
I haven't seen Lubbock play this year, are they still pass happy? And can anyone explain why they lost to Lubbock Home School? Is Lubbock facing the same situation as last year with athletes being ineligible? This game has the potential to be a high-scoring track meet.

I watched part of this game. LKP already had some injuries going into this game. I think they suited up 7 or 8 guys. Their running back #13 hurt his ankle in the 2nd quarter I believe. I left at halftime. But I heard they finished the game with 5 players. You hate to see a game decided by injuries, but you also have to give some credit to Lubbock Homeschool. They came to play.

CH1, thank you very much. I'll have to do some closer looks at schedules and whatnot before I revise my bracket any further.

I've started to throw all this into an Excel sheet, that way I can track everything from wins to wild card points on a weekly basis...

Back