Playoff Excitement..Let's pick em

Abbott will likely get picked in a close one... but I wouldnt be surprised at all to see Zephyr make it to their first state title game

Cant agree, Johnny. Yes, putting the kid from Blanket (Tippey?) at Deep Back was a good strategy. But was anyone who has seen RS play the last fifteen years surprised by that? If so it is wishful naiveté. And believe me I know how that works. Case in point were the RS-Calvert game in 2002 and RS-Throckmorton in 2005. In the first contest we had been told for weeks that Calvert couldn't pass a lick. Film scouting proved that assertion correct. Of the five films we watched they passed something like eleven times, very weak throws to receivers who couldn't catch. In the Quarter-final game they killed us with the long ball all night long. It was the difference in the game because we never had a plan B, no adjustments were made. Did not work on pass cover defense all week. Short term result-- Calvert wins 60-57; long term result--Calvert state champions.

In the Throck game we had lost our best D-End Shelby Smith to a busted elbow in the Quarter-final victory over Blum. On Saturday before the week's practices the decision had been made to replace him with someone some of us were very skeptical about. The kid had never been a good D-End because any time a sweep was ran to his side he would stop and lose contain allowing the backs to gain the edge. This kid had done that all the way through junior high and high school JV. Throckmorton figured it out the first or second play of the first offensive possession. We didn't make a change until halftime. But they scored four effortless TDs with that Sweep Lt.

I truly believe RS was the better team. However, after seeing Jonesboro several times, and beat up a very athletic Calvert group, I leaned toward them because of their passion and hunger that seemed to radiate from their community and players. It mirrored Richland's. At the game something was missing and it was apparent to us in the stands that their kids were not the same. You have to go with what limited clues there were during the game. As stated earlier, the Eagles appeared affected by the weather more than the Coyotes were. Or maybe their appetite was satisfied by the previous win.
No one but the coaches know what happened. It happens a lot in HS sports. Has happened to me before. Gordon Wood at Brownwood spoke often how his teams should have won five or six more state championships than the seven they did win. But for some reasons some of the greatest teams he ever coached could not make it happen.

RS is back and I hope they go all the way. Well, unless they play MC in the semis or Follett in the finals. Keep moving that bar higher, Jerry. That way the rest of us will have to aim higher, too.

Jonesboro will be back. They have some salty kids around Jonesboro. My two boys and Jaylen tell me they are the best players they play against behind the bleachers during the HS and JH games we attend. The future will be blessed if they continue to grow as players.

What needs to happen this next alignment is for RS to be placed in the West so they can face a team like Jonesboro or Calvert in the next two state championships.
It can happen easily. This alignment the UIL dart board champions have had Paducah, Guthrie and Motley County in the East, and Blanket and Rising Star in the West. :)

P.S.: If anyone is surprised by a RS Shotgun or Spread offense, well, only you can fix that.

Good point about Alvaro's ankle. Not the determining factor though. We were naïve about their athlete's ability to make the plays needed to win. Good athletes do that, and they did. Our best athlete made a bunch of plays in response (#20), but it was not enough. I also think our on-side kicks hurt us. Many folks at the game echoed that sentiment for a solid year. Hell, some were voicing their displeasure during the game.
I do agree PATs in any football game is vital, especially six-man. But never forget the single extra point RS made against Woodson in the 2001 semi-final championship. My film is in storage, but if my memory is correct RS scored eight or nine TDs that night. Woodson's Peacock, Sullivan and a dandy receiver made enough great plays to win two games that night. The same kind of performance by the two Hicks boys and Jason Tharpe, along with some absolutely amazing play calling by Coach Clawson, pulled out a miracle.

In the 2005 loss to Throckmorton I don't recall an administrative decision being a catalyst to losing. I will never blame an administrator for a football loss. Especially those at Richland Springs. All those guys did more to make us successful than anywhere I have coached, and played. If you cant win with the level of assistance provided by that community and school personnel, you cant be successful anywhere. No place supported its coaches and athletes better than RS. The equipment is second to none. The pay is equal or better than any school up to 4A and many 5A schools. Time for preparation is provided better than any school you will find until you get up in the schools like Stephenville and Aledo.
Our pay went from a very low 4,500 stipend in 2003 to way over 10,000 the next two years. I can't tell you what mine was when I left. It would knock you out of your lazy boy. Well, we better not talk about money matters.

I do recall some disappointing behavior by several of our players in the Breckenridge dressing room before the Throckmorton game. Behaviors which were addressed severely at my house.

I could go on and on. Anything else you can help recall?

Let me add this. A wise coach will sit down alone and evaluate the season after the last game, searching for three things: 1) Things done well...2) Things done poorly...3) Things needed for next year. Three columns. Then all the coaches get together and do it again, comparing their conclusions. This is easy to do especially when you have losses and near losses. This post season evaluation will highlight the changes and additions that a coach must make immediately and later when the time is appropriate.
If that critique isn't honest, sometimes painful, and often difficult to admit, hard decision-making improvements cannot be accomplished. The result is that the coach fails to address the problems he faced and thereby increases the likelihood of committing or suffering from them again.

Everything has to be reviewed. Offensive elements, Defensive elements, PATs, Kick off, KO return, Scout team, pregame, practice, discipline, conditioning, 3rd and long, 3rd and short, 4th down, punt formation and objective. coaching, preparation, film study, how to prevent interruption on Saturdays. Literally a 101 elements. It doesn't take long to do, and each year it is easier to do.
Every year we added one or maybe two throws to Tyler's repertoire. We improved the offense so that Shelby carried the ball more in the T-Bird and allowing our best blockers to lead block. The defense was refined and improved. Our Kick game was made easier and more dangerous. Our practice time was streamlined. Instead of wasting 30 minutes we got in more quality work in less time or we went home a little earlier.

Coaches and teachers have to do something like this if they want to challenge the top teams every year. And sometimes it is hard to face the reality that maybe what you are doing isn't working in the playoffs. Yes, it kicks the crap out of 90% of the teams you face. I ask is that in itself good enough for you? Not me. I want to know what will kick the turkey and stuffing out of the top ten per cent.
I have to know what I need to do to be better next time. There are limitations. I will never be a coach who changes every play from the sideline. Six-man defenses rarely change so its not needed. But I do have audibles we use in certain situations. However, most of the time the players make the audible, I just tell them when to go audible. Some teams use multiple defenses, most do not. Prepare for those every day of the season, not just the week of...its toooooo late.

Let me add this. A wise coach will sit down alone and evaluate the season after the last game, searching for three things: 1) Things done well...2) Things done poorly...3) Things needed for next year. Three columns. Then all the coaches get together and do it again, comparing their conclusions. This is easy to do especially when you have losses and near losses. This post season evaluation will highlight the changes and additions that a coach must make immediately and later when the time is appropriate.
If that critique isn't honest, sometimes painful, and often difficult to admit, hard decision-making improvements cannot be accomplished. The result is that the coach fails to address the problems he faced and thereby increases the likelihood of committing or suffering from them again.

Everything has to be reviewed. Offensive elements, Defensive elements, PATs, Kick off, KO return, Scout team, pregame, practice, discipline, conditioning, 3rd and long, 3rd and short, 4th down, punt formation and objective. coaching, preparation, film study, how to prevent interruption on Saturdays. Literally a 101 elements. It doesn't take long to do, and each year it is easier to do.
Every year we used these evaluation sheets. Me and Tyler added one or maybe two throws to his throwing repertoire. After 2005 we worked on Tyler's cutting speed to be more like Bryce Hogue's. We improved the offense so that Shelby carried the ball more in the T-Bird while allowing our best blockers to lead block. The defense was refined and improved. Our Kick game was made easier and more dangerous. Our practice time was streamlined. Instead of wasting 30 minutes we got in more quality work in less time or we went home a little earlier. All of these changes and improvements were based on our post-season summations.

Coaches and teachers have to do something like this if they want to challenge the top teams every year. And sometimes it is hard to face the reality that maybe what you are doing isn't working in the playoffs against the best teams. Yes, it kicks the crap out of 90% of the teams you face. I ask is that in itself good enough for you? Not me. I want to know what will kick the turkey and stuffing out of the top ten per cent.
I have to know what I need to do to be better next time. There are limitations. I will never be a coach who changes every play from the sideline. Six-man defenses rarely change so its not needed. But I do have audibles we use in certain situations. However, most of the time the players make the audible, I just tell them when to go audible. Some teams use multiple defenses, most do not. Prepare for those every day of the season, not just the week of...its toooooo late.

Ask Rochelle about PAT'S ......they scored more touchdowns friday than zephyr did....but if you miss 5 PAT'S .....or 10 points and you lose by 8 points....it's easy to see the importance of PAT'S

1st, Yes I would have loved to play on a warm dry field. No I didn't have the opportunity or power to change the date or venue! Yes we know the importance of PATS. We work on them every day. We were 77% on the year coming into this game. We feel like our season ended prematurely but the kids should be celebrated for what they have accomplished!

Congrats Coach...
Yes it was a great season..With some great young men...They should all be very proud, As should you.
Sometimes games just go that way...
Rochelle was my pick to represent the east since the end of September,
I still feel they were the better team overall...Just not that night..
CONGRATS TO YOU AND YOUR TEAM'S COACH.

I still find it odd that fans of a team as good as Richland Springs feel the need to toot their own horn as much as they do. Almost every other team that has had success does all of their talking on the field. Guess they feel like they still have something to prove.

tooco57":1fycspwf said:
SK:
Looks to me like you are the one doing all the talking.
Yep, I talk quite a bit, but never do I belittle a team at the expense of gloating. I merely communicate my opinions based on my very limited knowledge. Thanks for noticing, I'll be here all week, try the veal.

Mr. Klin, would you be so kind as to inform everyone as to who was belittled and who was gloating?

If you are referring to Mr. BE's posts, I believe that he is a Corsicana Tiger Fan. Just very knowledgable about the sixman game.

Johnny South":3nzvml04 said:
Mr. Klin, would you be so kind as to inform everyone as to who was belittled and who was gloating?

If you are reading Mr. BE's posts, I believe that he is a Corsicana Tiger Fan. Just very knowledgable about the sixman game.
Nah, wasn't mr E, nor was it Señor South, just saying it's not something that I do, just defending my talkative nature. I like all of the BE's posts, very entertaining. You should know by now that if it's something specific, I don't have a problem calling em out on it.

Shad Kline":2arogd1o said:
I still find it odd that fans of a team as good as Richland Springs feel the need to toot their own horn as much as they do. Almost every other team that has had success does all of their talking on the field. Guess they feel like they still have something to prove.

TOOT, TOOT!
I pretty sure that our kids do their talking on the field, partner!
They've talked on the field MANY TIMES! ('04, '06, '07, '10, '11, '12)
And yes, EVERYTIME they make a great defensive play or score a TD, we TOOT our Coyote horn!

Bill O'Rielly":11a22dpi said:
Shad Kline":11a22dpi said:

TOOT, TOOT!
I pretty sure that our kids do their talking on the field, partner!
They've talked on the field MANY TIMES! ('04, '06, '07, '10, '11, '12)
And yes, EVERYTIME they make a great defensive play or score a TD, we TOOT our Coyote horn!
Im pretty sure they do too. Yet, there you are, just a talkin away. Almost sad really, I feel bad for you that all that field talking that they are doing (04, 06, 07, 10, 11, 12 and possibly 15) aint quite enough for you. Guess mommy should have hugged you more.

Love it! I love the fact that you cannot stand our success. You can write words on this board but deep down it burns a hole in your soul.
Don't judge our community or team because of one idiot like me. Lol.
BTW, do you not talk about your little team on days they win?

Bill O'Rielly":2t4t02ye said:
Love it! I love the fact that you cannot stand our success. You can write words on this board but deep down it burns a hole in your soul.
My bad, I thought you were smart enough to actually have a debate, I didn't realize that I was talking to someone who would throw out the "jealousy" card. So typical and disappointing. If I were going to be jealous, it would be of a town that can handle success with class and dignity. Coyotes, maybe, RS coyotes, don't flatter yourself (oh wait, too late for that).

I would never judge a team of kids, I'm quite happy for them, they worked hard and are reaping the rewards. I would never belittle a team of kids by calling them a "little team", but that's just me.

The only thing worse than a sore loser is a sore winner.

Bill O'Rielly":a1g5dqvy said:

I believe what we all can't stand is how Richland Springs obtains its success. Nobody wants say it here but its unbelievable to most of us. I am sure if you provoke a couple folks enough you will start to see some of the more recent evidence pop up here, cause it does exist.

BullWhip":cqdqhc4m said:
Bill O'Rielly":cqdqhc4m said:

I believe what we all can't stand is how Richland Springs obtains its success. Nobody wants say it here but its unbelievable to most of us. I am sure if you provoke a couple folks enough you will start to see some of the more recent evidence pop up here, cause it does exist.

Yep BullWhiper, I heard that one time before, that the Dallas Cowboys practice squad was actually taking the field for the Coyotes on Friday nights, when they were down at their deer lease. And that Nick Saban was dressing up as the Richland coach. A little success really does bring out the haters.

Back