Playoff Excitement..Let's pick em

Still doped up and riding high from five hours of championship six-man football yesterday. Only eggnog I need.

Can't wait until the game film arrives. ):

It was apparent to me that Burkhart won state with a very youthful bunch of coyotes. The state game program lists two seniors, I believe. The team was dominated by sophomores and juniors. The next two years looks promising for more football successes.

Watching RS, Calvert and Jonesboro at least three times each, I had decided that Calvert was the most talented, Jonesbore the most physical and motivated and Richland the best led by the benefits of the coaching and the program. I doubt anyone could deny that. But after the Jones'-Zephyr game my mind had been persuaded that Jonesboro had leaped into the top spot, followed by RS and Calvert. I knew how strong Zephyr was, had been watching them for two years and had a strong feeling that they would push Abbott for the right to play in Abilene. Therefore, the dismantling of Zephyr by the Eagles was a surprise to me, not actually the score, more the grinding down of the Bulldogs. Jonesbore wore them out physically, and that did slap me awake.

So somewhere between the start of district and the second round of the playoffs RS improved their abilities to a point where they ran away from the competition. I am still stunned by the RS-Jonesboro game. I think if it were Burkhart who was the loser of that game in the fashion it was decided, he would most likely come in after basketball and totally revamp his program, at least enough to erase the ghost of such a defeat. I am betting when the new alignment is made public, Eagle fans will all breathe a breath of relief when they verify their move away from the beast in the east.

What can everyone in the East do now that RS has returned to dominance? You have a choice. Schools like Calvert, W'Spgs, Mt. Calm and an emerging Oakwood either get use to the thought that second place is the only trophy available to them (unless RS self-destructs) or the coaches and school leaders have to agree that their programs have to be improved in every way. And that doesn't necessarily equal a massive spend campaign. It absolutely does demand an astronomical shift in focus and year-round planning. A great and exciting challenge. There is a third choice...play basketball and put it all out of your mind like one does a nightmare knowing it will go away by itself.
If the decision is the first or final choices, start practicing good reactions and speeches for your kids and parents focusing on clichés like "we scared 'em", and "if it hadn't been for those stupid calls and cheating coyotes we would have won". Prepare the excuses everyone will need to disinfect those grievous wounds.
Wow, that is going to be a challenge for many coaches...accepting the crumbs from the RS celebration banquet. Or we can all petition the UIL to play up in Division One. :) ):

The West seems to be on the right track despite being shut out in this year's championships.
Realignment may improve the West's competitive edge, actually. The rumor mill is suggesting that Valley and Crowell will join Division One West. If that happens will Paducah and Motley County return to the West, or Guthrie...interesting. Imagine the quality of teams in the West if they they do. Follett, Valley, Crowell, MC, Paducah and Guthrie could be in the same Region. Its doubtful but possible.

Crowell is similar to RS as much as any other six-man school in the state. Nathan Hayes has built a program second to none. If there is an area still inferior to Rs, it would be happening during the summer. Not inferring there is a short coming. Just saying if there is one .... Crowell has strong offensive skills returning in 2016 with his son. If he has the experience returning they will push for the right to play in the West semi-finals. If the QB knee is 100% they will be a favorite. If not they can't. A spreadback must be healthy enough to dominate a defense with both his arm and his legs. Valley still has talented kids to reload the Patriot tradition with. They are losing a lot, but I've been told they will be okay talent wise. The challenge for them will be the way they balance a powerful track potential with their vital football off-season. If there is no room for the off-season lifting and skills, Valley football will suffer.
Paducah scored a 4 and 6 record this season and still finished way at the top of the final rankings. And I believe Granger's computer is correct. The dragons have some amazing potential in football. The team I watched last year against Guthrie was full of young and talented athletes. But they had some crippling handicaps holding them back. And their junior high was absolutely loaded with speed and athleticism. They have to fix whatever is holding them back on the gridiron. I understand their basketball tradition, but come on folks, you should be a threat every year in every sport when you have talent like Paducah. Ninety per cent of we coaches will never coach talent like they have year in and year out. Get that program focused and consistent. It's a great opportunity to fight for championships across the board.

Follett and Motley County are headed in the right direction. Coach Rainer did a marvelous job at Follett. Coach Bigham is a top talent whose teams are superbly prepared and great fun to compete with. I love the way he approaches the game. He will win another championship somewhere if not with MC.
Back to Brad and Follett. I was told by several kids that Brad had no help after girl's basketball practice began after school. WTFreak! So he basically worked the varsity football practices alone. Then when JH boys basketball began he had no relief there either. Got to take that with a grain of salt...you know how some kids sometimes misunderstand the facts. But if correct the accomplishment Brad pulled off is much more impressive. I hope that situation is fixed asap. Unbelievable! Great job Pearl of the Panhandle!!! :)

The game with RS was cut short I realize, but did you notice the ability of several young players for Follett. The QB had a good game. He will be a great player ....if....he learns to devote himself to achieving greatness in football. He will have to find a way to overcome his handicap that requires him to relocate to Oklahoma every summer. The team needs their QB home during summers if they want to be champions. Luis Loya is multi-talented. He must grow some passion before he can step up. :)
Holden Born is another talented kid at Follett. If he gravitates to his mother's background, he will be a beast. Fabian will be the backbone for the team for the next two years. Rare ability that more cultivation will continue to reap good fruit.
In addition, a lot of times panhandle kids want to be jack of all trades, we know how that cliché ends. Play them all but love the one continuously. The talent there is potential for three more years. That's as far down as I can look.

What a year. Good job to everyone I watched. Great job to winners and losers at state. Learned much and will benefit greatly the rest of my career and life. Thank you for devoting your lives to family and football and education, and some of you are very God-fearing. I admire you for that quality. God bless everyone. God bless Texas and six-man. It is one of our last great American institutions that builds super young men. You guys give me peace and I know we are all safer because of the values you are learning through football. We admire your sacrifices and character. Keep building it. Good luck with basketball. Don't forget to continue your strength and skill progression. Some of it will benefit you a lifetime.

Back