Playoff Excitement..Let's pick em

BE":29sa2cvk said:
Short, right. Is he still there?
I'm just messing with you TT15. But I must ask, why do you use Tim Tebow as your avatar? That is quite a statement.

I played for Coach Short, before he was at Eden....BE that guy knew basketball he was my second favorite basketball coach...lol

BE":3rty2jwu said:
I'm just messing with you TT15. But I must ask, why do you use Tim Tebow as your avatar? That is quite a statement.

I know, but I am not one to jest about virtually my only claim to fame from high school sports. Then again, I am piggy-backing off the Richland Springs football success, but that's what happens when you play on a sixmanfootball team that cannot make extra points! ;) I hope these posts will serve as didactic lessons for sixman young players and coaches about the importance of making extra points.

Yeah, the Tim Tebow things gets me into a lot of arguments but I love Timmy. All he did in the NFL was go 7-4, win the AFC West, and beat the Steelers in a playoff game. Oh, and did you see his last preseason game with the Eagles against the Jets? I saw him slinging it all over the field!

PS. I believe Short left because I saw that job open, but do not keep up with any of that anymore.

tx6man4life":26ozuiul said:
BE":26ozuiul said:

I played for Coach Short, before he was at Eden....BE that guy knew basketball he was my second favorite basketball coach...lol

While I a little partial to my basketball coach, Leon Freeman, I agree with your assessment. I played with Eden's Summer League Team and really enjoyed playing (well, sort of playing for) for Coach Short. You will find few who can match his passion, will to win, and drive for excellence. My favorite thing about him, however, derived from his ability to keep me, a usual district rival, in the dark about their offenses and defenses yet make sure I knew what to do. I really enjoyed that summer and he kept me from getting in a fight, so I am a big Coach Short fan. On the other hand, BE is the master of the "hey, let's build a wall around the free thrown line and make them shoot 3s." That defense got me into trouble A LOT! Good times.

TebowTime15":1tv8wrtd said:
tx6man4life":1tv8wrtd said:
BE":1tv8wrtd said:

While I a little partial to my basketball coach, Leon Freeman, I agree with your assessment. I played with Eden's Summer League Team and really enjoyed playing (well, sort of playing for) for Coach Short. You will find few who can match his passion, will to win, and drive for excellence. My favorite thing about him, however, derived from his ability to keep me, a usual district rival, in the dark about their offenses and defenses yet make sure I knew what to do. I really enjoyed that summer and he kept me from getting in a fight, so I am a big Coach Short fan. On the other hand, BE is the master of the "hey, let's build a wall around the free thrown line and make them shoot 3s." That defense got me into trouble A LOT! Good times.

Coach Short is at Grady now, I found that on this sight actually....He was great at bring individuals together and forming a Team.....BE is also great at motivating....that guy could convince a high school boy he was a girl if he wanted....he has a way of getting you to buy what he is saying and believe...Both great coaches

Making them launch three pointers is a good strategy with most high schoolers since the proliferation of the video game. They don't practice enough anymore. But hey, they can destroy the Zarkons and save the kingdom. :) Unless your playing a bunch of gym rats like Nazareth.

Before I fly away I want to coach some gym rats, and maybe a couple of cheetahs. May not have to look far. Brianna's dad was the only white boy on his college relay teams. He was a fast mofo. After he died Bri found his college scrapbook. That boy ran sub 10s, sub 22s and broke 48 five times his sophomore year. In yards rather than meters.
Will learn to recruit for basketball. :)

BE":1etzfenz said:
Making them launch three pointers is a good strategy with most high schoolers since the proliferation of the video game. They don't practice enough anymore. But hey, they can destroy the Zarkons and save the kingdom. :) Unless your playing a bunch of gym rats like Nazareth.

Before I fly away I want to coach some gym rats, and maybe a couple of cheetahs. May not have to look far. Brianna's dad was the only white boy on his college relay teams. He was a fast mofo. After he died Bri found his college scrapbook. That boy ran sub 10s, sub 22s and broke 48 five times his sophomore year. In yards rather than meters.
Will learn to recruit for basketball.

that's pretty fast....

I realize that most of you are already in the gym but.... There is another thread going for all of you Basketball folks. Football is the game of choice.

No BE, I will admit, Basketball does serve a purpose. It fills in between Football and Track. And the popcorn sales help the booster club buy new footballs.

Johnny South":278ulms9 said:
I realize that most of you are already in the gym but.... There is another thread going for all of you Basketball folks. Football is the game of choice.

No BE, I will admit, Basketball does serve a purpose. It fills in between Football and Track. And the popcorn sales help the booster club buy new footballs.
Don't be tryin to ram rod us, boy. Sound like my momma when she was on her cottage cheese diet.

If that is your heart then you are a purest. Good.
I am more of a trophy hunter. My heart seeks all the big game, not just lions. I want a tiger and bear in my den. Maybe even a warrior chief or two. (:) It can still be done if the timing and place is right. When Southlake Carroll won both football and basketball state championships, most of the experts scoffed at the idea. And there have been a few more since then.

The six-man schools I have witnessed who had a shot were Rule in 2007-08 and Paducah in 2010-11. Both those teams were loaded with athletes. Paducah was the most talented boys program I have yet seen. They had two legit spreadbacks with speed, three receivers over six foot three (two were 6'5) and a QB who could throw sixty yards. Had Means gotten there a year earlier they might have gone back-to-back. I'm shocked they didn't win the track trophy, too. I think baseball probably neutered that possibility. Baseball and six-man---what a handicap. Its like playing a round of golf four strokes down before the first tee is placed. Sorry Shane. I wish RS and Calvert would start a baseball program. (:) Wait, Calvert does play don't they.

After looking back over this thread a lot of yall should have bowed out after the district finals..........

I was almost right for a change, at least on the west side of my bracket. Garden City was my dark horse. They played a heck of a game against my Wildcats!!!

Just stirring the pot!! ;-)

The teams that deserve to be there are in the finals. Best of luck to all teams. Enjoy the experience. Let's have four quarters of action for both games. No sense in ending games early. Let all the kids play when things get under control.

Little Doc":289hmouk said:
The teams that deserve to be there are in the finals. Best of luck to all teams. Enjoy the experience. Let's have four quarters of action for both games. No sense in ending games early. Let all the kids play when things get under control.

When two tough top teams are playing, things seldom get under control! Just ask Sanderson about Calvert in 02. Momentum can change in a heartbeat and the game can make a 180 in a hurry. I'll bet that the coaches get most if not all of their players involved in the game in one way or another.

No matter how the games turn out, they are all part of an unforgettable experience. Even the 2012 blowout was more fun than a Trump pep rally in Birmingham, Alabama. It was great, just too short. :)
Personally, the game I enjoyed the least was the first one in 2004. Looking back I realize now I was much too concerned about the outcome. Since all of the team's head coaches have been to state games before, I know they understand what I mean.

No matter how these two games develop, I believe we will see some very exciting football. And I bet we will enjoy the amazing effort and determined play of all four teams.
The atmosphere actually seems to super-charge the players, even electrifying some to perform way over their heads. Shotwell has an uncanny, almost supernatural feeling in the air. The kids seem more capable and larger in stature than the games before. Pumped and Proud. It's hard to describe. It can be overwhelming for some. But for the ones who have not cheated themselves during the year, their abilities seem to multiply to levels most have not previously reached.

When we look out onto the Shotwell turf Saturday and see fourteen year old freshmen kids, who just seven months earlier were running junior high track meets, we will watch in awe their reactions to the atmosphere surrounding the highest level of high school six-man football. Have fun and sic 'em boys!!

BE":tepjre0o said:
Johnny South":tepjre0o said:

Don't be tryin to ram rod us, boy. Sound like my momma when she was on her cottage cheese diet.

If that is your heart then you are a purest. Good.
I am more of a trophy hunter. My heart seeks all the big game, not just lions. I want a tiger and bear in my den. Maybe even a warrior chief or two. (:) It can still be done if the timing and place is right. When Southlake Carroll won both football and basketball state championships, most of the experts scoffed at the idea. And there have been a few more since then.

The six-man schools I have witnessed who had a shot were Rule in 2007-08 and Paducah in 2010-11. Both those teams were loaded with athletes. Paducah was the most talented boys program I have yet seen. They had two legit spreadbacks with speed, three receivers over six foot three (two were 6'5) and a QB who could throw sixty yards. Had Means gotten there a year earlier they might have gone back-to-back. I'm shocked they didn't win the track trophy, too. I think baseball probably neutered that possibility. Baseball and six-man---what a handicap. Its like playing a round of golf four strokes down before the first tee is placed. Sorry Shane. I wish RS and Calvert would start a baseball program. (:) Wait, Calvert does play don't they.

BB also serves to keep the boys working and in shape. All that running improves their stamina, speed, quickness and agility as well as eye to hand coordination, even ball passing skills. These are all great for football. It's also done in a nice warm gym during a cold time of the year. Otherwise I consider BB useless. JMO.

There is no feeling like the feeling when your team takes the field for the biggest game of the year! And the last. The last time the seniors will put on the pads and go into glorius battle. It doesn't matter what the weather is, it is a day when you know that God is looking down and smiling on all the small towns in the great State of Texas. Sixman football is the best sport on earth, and God is good.

BE":1t9kirnd said:
Your concern is understood by most of us. The question can only be answered in two ways. One will occur in two weeks in Abilene. The other is for schools like Abbott, Milford, Rochelle and Gorman to play teams from the West before district begins. A few do. More should. But distance is a real concern. It would need to be done in towns located near middle ground. The drive from Follett to Hico takes nine or ten hours. It is a handicap if your playing a team from the East, regardless of when you make the drive.
Not making a prediction whatsoever, If your school gets 45ed will that answer be satisfactory?
YEP!!!!!

It was an amazing season this year. Maybe they are every year and I just don't realize it because of the focus on coaching and teaching. Having too much free-time does have its benefits. Here are some things I learned, relearned and refuse to learn.

First, sometimes some of the best coaches deserve more credit for producing a fine team from a bunch of kids who may not be as talented as kids on earlier teams who did not win it all.
Crawford did a supreme job of bringing his team out of the depths of mediocrity over the course of this football season. People, if I hadn't been able to watch them play Calvert early in the year, I would be sitting somewhere with the misconception that Abbott was dazzling from the get-go. And they were not! They were more dullzling (forgive the invented adjective, couldn't find an antonym) at the week two mark. I realize Calvert's speed and quickness was a hindrance, but when an offense can't pass, can't run and the defense cannot defend the pass or protect the edge, they are not very potent. I'll just say it in good ole American slang---they sucked.
Not if compared to other teams in the region. My comparison is to past Abbott teams and 2015 teams like Crowell, Zephyr, Jonesboro and Calvert. Allen Academy played smarter and tougher than Abbott. And I say this in order to highlight the impressiveness of their turnaround. Even against Blum, the panthers lacked some of the qualities that always go with Abbott football. And the heart and passion they played without in the Calvert game, was still M.I.A versus Blum.

All these negatives were overcome in the Zephyr and Crowell games. They were a different football squad. The team was made up of different kids. Apparently, Crawford fired all the players on the September team and replaced them with new players who totally reversed the abilities of their squad. :) What the coaching staff did was impressive to behold. Every football team improves over the course of the year. But the Abbott Panthers metamorphosized from a dull, homely locust into a "beautiful, beautiful butterfly". :)
They were the most improved team I have ever seen in one single year. Their success is a tribute to Crawford and his staff, and the senior leadership so necessary for healthy growth. I wonder if playing Calvert had any benefit for the Abbott players and coaches. Lol
Kids have to be convinced of the truth. Calvert gave them that truth.

So from their progression I learned how a mediocre talent can advance themselves enough to still compete for a state championship. I've never seen that before. Improve...yes. Improve from average to state champs...an emphatic NOOOO!
I relearned how a kid and a team can make themselves so much better in one season. How perseverance and desire still are the secrets to becoming one of the best. Now when I tell my kids and players inspirational stories, it wont be just individuals like John Poe and Richie Daniels I describe, but also a team called Abbott.

What do I refuse to learn? That a single offensive set gives a team a stronger chance to win a state championship..............................................wait a minute...that's not the case is it. Coach Crawford, the disciple of the Mitch Lee philosophy. The Jaybird Panthers who never break the integrity of the Unbalanced I, used two Spread plays their last two games of the 2015 football season. (:)
That's why he finally won the six-man state championship!!

I am technologically illiterate. Wake up Brianna!

She needed a nap after dragging me to Church. I had half the Sunday School class arguing for stoning the adulteress, and half pleading for forgiveness. The men dropped their rocks, the women wanted boulders. The sentiment was almost unanimous with jihadists.

Back