Playoff Excitement..Let's pick em

Stop cryin, man. It should hurt no matter how you lose...one point, Mercy Ruled, half time or a last second cushion score. To the loser it is bullying, but for some it is finishing with killer instinct. And if you are a team like Rochelle who has had zero wins in almost a century, you better display the brutal instinct of scoring anyway and everyway possible within the rules. Otherwise you will not prevail against a team who has that kind of quality. Kneeling is fine if that team chooses to do it. If they want to try another play to score, good for them. Its not like the score was 90 to 6.
Rochelle better have some attitude if they want to win another playoff game. If its me and mine, I want to kick your butt and the only thing that can stop that is you the opponent or the clock. If you don't have that quality, someone else will eventually beat your butt. And if you do that to me, good for you because my intention is to find every possible means of putting a score on the board. You need to do the same to me and mine if you can. Its a man-thing. Its a little on the hubris side with just enough measure of humility not to morph into arrogance.

Don't be a sour- grapes kind of competitor. Take your lickin and start planning for the next sport and the next football season. That is what competition is about. And the winner:
____After the game walk across the field and look your opponent in the eye and congratulate him on a proud performance. Knowing that next time it could be him on the winning end.____

If a coach goes into a playoff game against a Gordon, a Throckmorton or a Borden County thinking about having mercy on the opponent, he is already handicapped by that mind set.

Way to go Rochelle. Way to go Gordon. Use it to become better men.

BE":137mdbis said:
Stop cryin, man. It should hurt no matter how you lose...one point, Mercy Ruled, half time or a last second cushion score. To the loser it is bullying, but for some it is finishing with killer instinct. And if you are a team like Rochelle who has had zero wins in almost a century, you better display the brutal instinct of scoring anyway and everyway possible within the rules. Otherwise you will not prevail against a team who has that kind of quality. Kneeling is fine if that team chooses to do it. If they want to try another play to score, good for them. Its not like the score was 90 to 6.
Rochelle better have some attitude if they want to win another playoff game. If its me and mine, I want to kick your butt and the only thing that can stop that is you the opponent or the clock. If you don't have that quality, someone else will eventually beat your butt. And if you do that to me, good for you because my intention is to find every possible means of putting a score on the board. You need to do the same to me and mine if you can. Its a man-thing. Its a little on the hubris side with just enough measure of humility not to morph into arrogance.

Don't be a sour- grapes kind of competitor. Take your lickin and start planning for the next sport and the next football season. That is what competition is about.
____After the game walk across the field and look your opponent in the eye and congratulate him on a proud performance. Knowing that next time it could be him on the winning end.____

If a coach goes into a playoff game against a Gordon, a Throckmorton or a Borden County thinking about having mercy on the opponent, he is already handicapped by that mind set.

Way to go Rochelle. Way to go Gordon. Use it to become better men.

I love how you think Coach.

There are some pretty powerful offenses in D1 east so while I'm not saying the east will win.....to 45 any of the remaining teams is not a guarantee

I'm with coyote_king on that one. No offense to the East but I just think their representative will be cannon fodder for either Happy or Borden County in D1. Not so in D2 as I think Balmorhea will be good enough to make things interesting all the way through. Of course, I've been wrong before so...

WV Backer":13ok1k7e said:
I'm with coyote_king on that one. No offense to the East but I just think their representative will be cannon fodder for either Happy or Borden County in D1. Not so in D2 as I think Balmorhea will be good enough to make things interesting all the way through. Of course, I've been wrong before so...

I'm going with WV backer on this one.. The west isn't out of the question,especially with Isiah Mendoza and the Bears speed.. Could be a game.

Hornet Nation":3t4hdn8k said:
For the record I'm not sure what disrespect you are talking about? We ran the clock down and took a timeout. We were on the one or two yard line, would you rather of had us hand the ball to your player and let them run for a touchdown? After the game we congratulated the Longhorns on a great game and then had a prayer circle with both teams at mid field. I don't remember hearing anyone say anything bad to Gordon period, this is the first time in school history for Rochelle to make it this far and the community is very excited about it. I'm sorry that you felt as if your team was disrespected.

I didn't know anything about this. I understand the Hornet's enthusiasm. I remember well Strawns first trip to State. Rushing the field after the Semi (we won on the last play of the game). Th euphoria that night and the week afterward. I remember seeing Coach Phillips a few times when he was at Strawn. Never actually met or spoke with him. I admire what he's done at Rochelle. I don't know if Gordon had been or maybe was still being "chippy" or something but the way it's described here possibly the best thing that could have been done was to take a knee... JMO, was not there.

coyote_king":3ryn2ptg said:
BC (These are the two best teams in my opinion.)
Jonesboro
Garden City (Looks like they dismantled Hermleigh. Crowell isn't 100%. I'm taking Garden City with the upset.)
Zephyr (Cinderella+Great Coaching)
Milford (Have no clue how good either team is.)

I was surprised by the soundness of GC's win. Congrat's to them. Hermlieg's mistakes early put them in a hole they could never climb out of. Kudo's to GC for keeping pressure on King. I looked around the web for a newspaper account but found none. I don't remember Romesch's (sp?) name being called over the air, was he playing? No excuses but I do remember the announcer's saying something fairly early on about King holding, wringing or shaking his hand (but not which one). I do remember some missed passes, the int(s) and some drops. Anyone know if King did hurt a hand?
Congrat's to the Card's too on their best season ever I believe (6-man or 11) and 1st playoff win since 1974).

Cant take a knee on 4th down to end the game...Coach Phillips ran the clock down as far as he could before calling a time out. They had to run a play or the clock never starts

RoyalandGold":1jm9ivcy said:
Cant take a knee on 4th down to end the game...Coach Phillips ran the clock down as far as he could before calling a time out. They had to run a play or the clock never starts

You can try to explain the rationale till the cows come home Royal, and it won't do a bit of good for some of these yay hoos. I guarantee you that some of them would still complain if they were getting hung with a new rope!

WV Backer":381vwl5y said:

He said cannon fodder.................. :)

The big game is BC/Happy. Both of those teams have carried a zero in the loss column all season! Who's 0 is gonna go? Its sad as both teams would make "cannon fodder" of most anyone in the State!!

Hope my Wildcats survive another week so that they have a chance of redeeming one of their losses before the season ends. Cinderella season?? History made?? Lets go Wildcats!!

Best of luck to all the teams still in the grind!!

Johnny South":9f6i573z said:
RoyalandGold":9f6i573z said:

You can try to explain the rationale till the cows come home Royal, and it won't do a bit of good for some of these yay hoos. I guarantee you that some of them would still complain if they were getting hung with a new rope!

I had told myself to shut up after admitting I was wrong for posting in the manner I did but.....
I KNOW they HAD to run a play, but from the 4 yard line with 6 seconds left under the circumstances called for a RUNNING play. They had run the ball on the previous three downs to avoid stopping the clock from an incomplete pass. Gordon saw the futility after they were not able to get the ball back after their TD with 4:21 left and chose to carry their three timeouts into next year.
I have never said I ain't a "yay hoo", just get the facts right before applying that label.....

From what I've read on the site, it seems like you are just a little bitter from the loss. It sounds like Rochelle did all they could to run the clock out and not score on Gordon.

coyote_king":s6ody6ra said:
From what I've read on the site, it seems like you are just a little bitter from the loss. It sounds like Rochelle did all they could to run the clock out and not score on Gordon.
Then I guess you did not read my original post.
1. I did not expect Gordon to win. Stated as much on these boards last Wednesday.
2. I was speaking of the Rochelle fans I encountered after the game.
3. I believe Football Karma is a very real thing; that is the sentiment I was speaking to.
4. Had they RUN the ball on 4th and scored I would not have thought anything about it. It wasn't about scoring, it was the manner.
5. Rochelle fans could take a lesson from those who say TD over-celebrating is wrong. "Act like you've done it before". Same thing with this win.
I also made no inclusion of other Gordon fans in my commentary. The views expressed were mine alone.

I appreciate the fact that only one team ends their season with a win; I haven't been bitter about a Gordon loss since my senior year (35+ years ago) when we lost to Moran. I was bitter about that one....this one I just felt the happy-happy, feel-good story on Rochelle winning a couple of playoff games deserved some balance....

One of my good buddies stopped at the same restaurant as Rochelle after the game and made sure I knew how impressed he was with the comportment of the players. Players do what they're told, I have no ill-will toward them.

Back