Playoff Excitement..Let's pick em

Would not disappoint me at all.....I know they are a terrific team.....and they just so happen to be matched up against another terrific team....this game and the Jonesboro vs RS games are very hard to pick I think they are all very evenly matched

For what it's worth, I've got it like this:

Happy over Borden County - both teams trounced the WV this year but at least we scored on BC
Crowell over Garden City - watched Crowell stomp a Sterling City team that lost by one to GC
Rochelle over Zephyr - mostly just want to see the Hornets continue their historic season
Milford over Abbott - why not, they already did it once this year

Follett over Southland - prognostication arrived at by virtue of coaching and tradition only
Balmorhea over Buena Vista - Bears played RS tough, they are just a better team
Guthrie over Motley County - same as Milford, they've already done it once this year
Jonesboro over Richland Springs - I know, never bet against RS in the playoffs but I've just got a hunch

There you have it, now tell me how stupid you think the picks are.

BC beat a healthy Crowell by 10 in week 1
Happy beat Crowell by 15 , Crowell was without starting QB

BC 45's Valley last week in the 4th
Happy beats valley by 38 in week 3

toss a coin boys, gonna be a good one in COLD weather on a turf field

Garden City is finally healthy, and crowell is a little banged up. i"ll have to go with Crowell because them boys are tough.

BC vs Happy is dang sure the game of the week. I couldn't prognosticate on it on a dare. I'm just gonna sit in the stands and enjoy a great football game.

Game of the week is true but it's a bit too far for me OF&B. Logistics dictates I attend Crowell vs. Garden City or Richland Springs vs. Jonesboro. While Abilene is a little closer than Early, I've seen quite a bit of Crowell these last three years and I've never seen Jonesboro so I think a trip to Early is in the offing.

This could easily sound like sour grapes as I am a Gordon supporter. Except I was on record as expecting Rochelle to win that game...
I cannot believe the bloativated talk from the Rochelle fans after the game. To hear them talk, one would think they're the greatest thing since The Fort or Tyler's RS teams.
Football Karma is a very real thing and their score with 6 seconds left last Friday night was chicken (expletive deleted) After they took a time out. On fourth down. With a pass play. The game firmly in hand. Bush league. I'm looking forward to giggling a little when their "dominance" ends. Maybe against Zephyr's power. Probably against a well-rounded Milford in the semis. Certainly in the finals with whomever survives the meat grinder bracket in the West. Should they make it to Abilene, I'll be rooting hard for a halftime 45 game....
They have no depth. And as good as Flores is, Gordon had him hobbled and gasping in the 2nd half. I just really do not like that bunch. And not just because they beat Gordon. Gordon has been beat by a number of teams in the playoffs (that happens when you're in the playoffs so regularly), it was their lack of respect for the game and their oppenent.
Rant over....

For the record I'm not sure what disrespect you are talking about? We ran the clock down and took a timeout. We were on the one or two yard line, would you rather of had us hand the ball to your player and let them run for a touchdown? After the game we congratulated the Longhorns on a great game and then had a prayer circle with both teams at mid field. I don't remember hearing anyone say anything bad to Gordon period, this is the first time in school history for Rochelle to make it this far and the community is very excited about it. I'm sorry that you felt as if your team was disrespected.

Hornet Nation":3bfli0qh said:
For the record I'm not sure what disrespect you are talking about? We ran the clock down and took a timeout. We were on the one or two yard line, would you rather of had us hand the ball to your player and let them run for a touchdown? After the game we congratulated the Longhorns on a great game and then had a prayer circle with both teams at mid field. I don't remember hearing anyone say anything bad to Gordon period, this is the first time in school history for Rochelle to make it this far and the community is very excited about it. I'm sorry that you felt as if your team was disrespected.

I believe the timeout to call the play and try to score would be what he is calling disrespectful...it was not the best choice but hey all is fair in the playoffs.....beware of how you dominate a opponent as you too will eventually be dominated too.

seemed like to me they were trying to run the clock out,the whole last drive. The timeout on 4th was because they ran the clock down to the last second not to get a play called.

gohorns40":3rr0n2f4 said:
This could easily sound like sour grapes as I am a Gordon supporter. Except I was on record as expecting Rochelle to win that game...
I cannot believe the bloativated talk from the Rochelle fans after the game. To hear them talk, one would think they're the greatest thing since The Fort or Tyler's RS teams.
Football Karma is a very real thing and their score with 6 seconds left last Friday night was chicken (expletive deleted) After they took a time out. On fourth down. With a pass play. The game firmly in hand. Bush league. I'm looking forward to giggling a little when their "dominance" ends. Maybe against Zephyr's power. Probably against a well-rounded Milford in the semis. Certainly in the finals with whomever survives the meat grinder bracket in the West. Should they make it to Abilene, I'll be rooting hard for a halftime 45 game....
They have no depth. And as good as Flores is, Gordon had him hobbled and gasping in the 2nd half. I just really do not like that bunch. And not just because they beat Gordon. Gordon has been beat by a number of teams in the playoffs (that happens when you're in the playoffs so regularly), it was their lack of respect for the game and their oppenent.
Rant over....

Seems like Gordon hates to get beat as bad as I do, or maybe even more. If my memory serves me correctly, once upon a time after a defeat, the Gordon coaches kicked the door to the radio booth in and threatened to assault the radio broadcasters from the opposing team for getting too excited about the game. It would have been amusing except that one of the broadcasters had a bad heart which took all the amusement out of it.

Disclaimer: not ALL Gordon fans have that same view. Don't even think that the opinion of one Gordon fan reflects the opinion of us all.

Shad Kline":2ffout0v said:
Disclaimer: not ALL Gordon fans have that same view. Don't even think that the opinion of one Gordon fan reflects the opinion of us all.

Understood Shad, it was a hard fought games by both teams.

Shad Kline":2s3is2cb said:
Exactly how I felt during the "dynasty" days of the WV.

Johnny South":rrk085xn said:
If my memory serves me correctly, once upon a time after a defeat, the Gordon coaches kicked the door to the radio booth in and threatened to assault the radio broadcasters from the opposing team for getting too excited about the game. It would have been amusing except that one of the broadcasters had a bad heart which took all the amusement out of it.

Memory almost serves you correctly. ha ha.. This was in 2008 and Gordon coach was sharing the visitor side booth with the radio guys, so there were no doors to kick in. And from talking to him, his discontent came from comments made about some of the Gordon players, probably off the air stuff and they probably did not realize he could hear them through his headset. And he could have and probably totally just misunderstood them. Anyway that entire coaching staff is long gone from Gordon. There is a good reason why most stadiums have fans and coaches confined to their side of the field. ha ha... Also, sharing a booth with an assistant coach in a close game isn't all its cracked up to be... trust me.

Why are we always defending ourselves on here?? :)
Honestly Rochelle played a heck of a game, and took advantage of Gordon's early smashmouth gameplan to get the early lead. After Gordon moved to more of a speed set, the game was virtually even for the second half, but it was too late. The ref crew did a better than average job, as well as can be expected in sixman anyway, and I did not see any real bad blood between the kids. As for the 4th down play, there wasnt much to do there, running the play clock down to 1 second before the time out and trying to burn clock. Kneeling it would have just stopped the clock again and given Gordon the ball, so I understand.
In the end, if there is any trash talking about beating Gordon, we are used to it.. as rarely as it happens, it is always HUGE for the other team. I see it as a matter of respect overall. No one at the top of the rankings brags about beating mediocre teams.

Back