Playoff Brackets and predictions/guesses/scenarios

freeagent

Six-man pro
Okay. Some wise guy asked me to give my ideas on how the brackets are going to look. If any of you want to play this game at home, the standings are here: http://standings.tappster.com/bransonsoft/default.asp and the brackets are at http://www.bracketmaker.com/tmenu.cfm?t ... ision%20II

Looking at the games from the second column of the chart:

Game 17 - D-4 2nd (Fred. Heritage/Seguin Lifegate/SA Castle Hills) vs D-5 2nd (LJ Brazosport/Alvin Living Stones/Orange Comm. Chr.)
Game 18 - Wild Card vs D1-1st (El Paso Jesus Chapel or Lubbock Christ the King)
Game 19 - Wild Card vs D2-1st (Wichita Falls Notre Dame)
Game 20 - Wild Card vs D3-1st (Heath Fulton)
Game 21 - D-1 2nd (Lubbock Christ the King/El Paso Jesus Chapel) vs D-2 2nd (Granbury NCTA)
Game 22 - Wild Card vs D4-1st (Seguin Lifegate/Fred. Heritage/SA Castle Hills)
Game 23 - Wild Card vs D3-2nd (Longview Trinity)
Game 24 - Wild Card vs D5-1st (Alvin Living Stones/LJ Brazosport/Orange Comm. Chr)

Identifying the Wild Card teams and where they would fall is a little trickier. I need to have a couple things clarified but as I understand it, the 3rd place teams are first considered by their wild card point totals and then the 4th place teams are ranked by their wild card point totals. If a district is four teams or less, the last place team is ineligible for the playoffs.

Also, I understand the wildcard teams will be assigned their opponents more-or-less on a geographic basis, but I'm going to assume that they would not play a team from their district

I've penciled in the following wild card teams and my guess on their first-round opponent):

Plainview Christian (D2-1st)
Brownwood Victory Life (D1-1st)
San Antonio Castle Hills/Fredericksburg Heritage/Seguin Lifegate (D3-1st)
San Antonio Town East or San Marcos Hill Country (D5-1st)
Orange Comm. Chr./Lake Jackson Brazosport/Alvin Living Stones (D3-2nd)
Bellville Faith (D4-1st)

But I could be wrong.

I don't have a clue, so please forgive me if I'm wrong.

District 1- will have 1 wild card. Maybe Plainview Chr. but who knows.
District 2 - I don't think they will have a wild card. Since VLA may get 3rd they only have 5 wild card points which would be tough.
District-3 We only have 3 total teams. NO wild card
District-4 San Marcos, Town East, Castle Hills
District-5 Lake Jackson, Bellville Faith

I would assume District 1 would play District 2 Champ!!!

Lifegate what are your thoughts about everyone else if this was right. Might be right or wrong

amoneagles":2cimaz69 said:
I don't have a clue, so please forgive me if I'm wrong.

District 1- will have 1 wild card. Maybe Plainview Chr. but who knows.
District 2 - I don't think they will have a wild card. Since VLA may get 3rd they only have 5 wild card points which would be tough.
District-3 We only have 3 total teams. NO wild card
District-4 San Marcos, Town East, Castle Hills
District-5 Lake Jackson, Bellville Faith

I would assume District 1 would play District 2 Champ!!!

Lifegate what are your thoughts about everyone else if this was right. Might be right or wrong

Only 3rd and 4th place teams are eligible for wild card, therefore 5th place teams can't make it in. D4 and D5 can only provide four teams under that formula, so the other two wildcards would have to be the 3rd place teams from D1 and D2. I haven't done all the permutations, but Lubbock Kingdom Prep may still be in the running for 2nd or 3rd in D1.

Town East and San Marcos Hill Co. meet in week 10 and I would assume the winner of that game would get the fourth seed from D4. Still a lot of football to be played; especially in D4 and D5 nothing is really decided.

For example, Lifegate has two games in a row to finish district ... both against teams with no or 1 district loss, so they are must win games if Lifegate plans to win district outright (Heritage and Castle Hills, both at home). I think all three are in the playoffs, so it's just a question of what seed they will finish.

Living Stones, Brazosport and Orange Comm. could finish in a three-way tie for first in D5 if Brazosport wins over Living Stones this week. Right now, LS is +11 on points while Orange has a +15 in their win over Brazosport; Living Stones is in the drivers seat ... a win or loss by 7 or less should give them the district title. Brazosport has to win by +20 to win district. Same here as in D4, all three are in, it's just where their dance card will take them.

As a highly influential and respected member of the sixman community, I got some information on wildcard selections. These are my recollections of my conversations, so don't take them as gospel truth.

The TAPPS Athletic Executive Committee will be meeting during this week and will "firm up" details, but basic information includes:

1. District standings trump wildcard points. That means a 4th place team can't qualify for the playoffs over a 3rd place team, even though the 4th place team has more wildcard points. It is a DISTRICT race, afterall -- so doing well in District is rewarded.

2. Only 3rd and 4th place teams will be considered for sixman wildcard playoff seeds. If your district has four teams or less, the last place team for the district is not eligible for the playoffs. The size of the district is determined by TAPPS Realignment for 2012-2014. Schools can withdraw from district (such as Killeen Memorial Christian) prior to the year without penalty and reduce the number of teams in a district, but if a school indicated they would participate in district and then cancelled at least one or more games this season (such as Amarillo Holy Cross), they would not reduce the number of teams eligible for the playoffs.

3. Wildcard playoff assignments will be made to minimize travel as much as can be possible, but a wildcard team will not play a team from their own district in the first round.

4. It is critical that every team CHECK and UPDATE if necessary scores AND wildcard point totals in TAPPSter during this week AND insure that they are updated after Week 9 and Week 10 games (I would do this no later than Saturday, November 10 morning if you're playing Friday night and immediately after any Saturday game). TAPPS staff will be checking the TAPPSter site on Monday morning, but it's your responsibility to update your record. By the way, TAPPS has collected some $100 fines from schools (which also included a one-game suspension for the head coach) for failure to report scores. I guess it got the message across, since there haven't been any $200 fines.

I think that the playoff brackets might start to get a little interesting. I'm assuming that Plainview Christian will win District 1, which would set up a very interesting first round game between Jesus Chapel and Granbury. Also, I would expect Living Stones to win District 5, which would send Orange up to play Fredricksburg Heritage in Round 1 as well. I'm also not sold on Bellville Faith getting that last spot, I think it very well could go to Brenham Christian on a tiebreaker, because Magnolia Legacy Prep I think will have enough to get by Bellville this week. If that is the case, then it would be up to TAPPS to decide between Brenham and Brazosport who would play Lifegate and who would play Heath Fulton. I'm thinking Lifegate might be wanting a rematch with Brenham. With Lifegate, Granbury and Living Stones all in the bottom bracket, I'm thinking that is going to be the tough part of the playoffs. I'm assuming Notre Dame will probably walk through the top part of the bracket.

My Predictions

Fredricksburg vs. Orange Community
Wichita Christian vs. Plainview Christian
Lubbock Kingdom Prep vs. Notre Dame
Brazosport vs. Heath- Fulton
Jesus Chapel vs. Granbury
Brenham vs. Lifegate
Castle Hills vs. Longview Trinity
Town East vs. Living Stones

loveofgame":owscfk57 said:
I agree does look like WFND will walk through the top half. The bottom half will have the more interesting match ups.

Agreed... Who do you see winning the bottom?? I've got lifegate..

Why is nobody mentioning Fredericksburg Heritage? They're 7-1 and that ain't just chopped liver.

And who knows what side of the bracket they'll fall ...

Heritage will end up matching up with Heath Fulton. Should be a close game but edge goes to Heath. Whoever wins will fall to ND. I'm not even going to begin to guess the bottom bracket.

lifegatesports":3oznksnv said:
Why is nobody mentioning Fredericksburg Heritage? They're 7-1 and that ain't just chopped liver.

Personally I don't think they'll be 8-1 after this weekend.. Their wins aren't as impressive as lifegates.. I actually will go as far as to guess a 45 by the falcons... You probably have more insight than me though being you are part of the organization... And the top half of the bracket is Norte dame's..

whenpigsfly":372xtn3v said:
lifegatesports":372xtn3v said:

Personally I don't think they'll be 8-1 after this weekend.. Their wins aren't as impressive as lifegates.. I actually will go as far as to guess a 45 by the falcons... You probably have more insight than me though being you are part of the organization... And the top half of the bracket is Norte dame's..

The top of the bracket is shaping up to be very tough. You'll have a matchup of the Fred. Heritage/Lifegate loser v. Orange Community in the first round, along with potential 2nd round matchup of Notre Dame and Heath Fulton, currently the #1 and #2 teams in the state. That will be a fun game to go watch! Fulton's speed v. ND's size! The bottom half will have the Freddy/Lifegate winner, Living Stones, and Happy Hill (or whatever they are now). If ND makes it to the title game, they'll have to go through 2 other pretty good teams to get there. To me, the San Antonio district (4?) is not getting enough credit. Both Lifegate and Freddy look tough defensively by the scores they've given up. To me, Div II looks like a fun playoff season!

Heath's soft schedule will show up once they play ND. ND by 30. Top bracket will come down to ND vs. Lifegate. *assuming lifegate goes top.

Whenpigsfly-I can't think of a scenerio where Lifegate 45's Freddy. I believe that Freddy will probably lose, but Freddy will try to use ball control offense and that will enable them to take it the full four quarters. Don't count out Freddy though, they do have some good players and an excellent coaching staff. They have also had two weeks to prepare for Lifegate. My pick would be something like this Lifegate 48 Freddy 20.

Mr pryde my predictions have been so far off this year it's not funny.. You're probably right.. On another note, how's your teams health? Is that athlete recovering well? He's been on my prayer list but I haven't had an update. Wish y'all the best of luck

Jacob is recovering from his broken leg fine. We are hoping to get him back for basketball. We have been playing with six players pretty much all year, sometimes five when a player gets dinged up during the game. Overall, I am pleased with their effort. Hope all is going well with your team.

Well, week 10 is among us. Hopefully sometime Monday, I'll post some of my infinite wisdom and knowledge (cough, cough) on what I see could happen for the playoffs. I promised some of the grand high poobahs that I'd look at standings and WCP totals and see what we come up with.

As for wildcards, there are only six possible teams that can fill the six wildcard spots (D1 3rd, D2 3rd, D4 3rd & 4th, D5 3rd & 4th). Fifth place teams in six or seven team districts are not eligible for playoffs. So we just gotta figure who fits where.

In a quick look at the schedule, there seems to be a few key games.

Dist 1 - Christ the King vs Kingdom Prep, Plainview Christian vs Jesus Chapel (Sat). JC looks in the drivers seat for 1st, but it's still a wide open ball game. Lord knows what happens if JC loses.

Dist 2 - Notre Dame has this wrapped up, NCTA (Happy Hill) is 2nd, but they do play Brownwood Victory Life and if there's an upset, that could flip.

Dist 3 - Season complete; it's Heath Fulton and Longview Trinity as 1 and 2

Dist 4 - I haven't ordered the Lifegate district champion trophy just yet. Lifegate still has to beat Castle Hills Friday. If CH wins, it's a three way tie for 1st and point differentials count. Heritage is +21 on CH and Lifegate is +21 on Heritage. CH would have to win by 21 or more (our dist maximum for differential is 21) and then it goes to total points allowed in district; right now, Lifegate would have the edge there; but if it's 122-100 Caste Hills, well, Katie bar the door. And the #4 spot depends on who wins San Marcos Hill Co vs San Antonio Town East.

Dist 5 - It's a mess. There is some dispute about a score between two of the three schools that are tied for district lead (Alvin Living Stones, Orange Community Christian and Lake Jackson Brazosport). Once that is cleared up .... well wait. Brazosport right now is 1/2 game up on the other two as they have finished district. So, both Living Stones (vs Bellville Faith) and Community (vs. Magnolia Faith, Sat.) need to win to make a three way tie. Then, who knows? Bellville Faith looks solid in the #4 spot.

It was a honest mistake and now things have been corrected and both teams agree.
D5 stands as follows
1. Orange Community
2. Alvin Living Stones
3. Lake Jackson
But!!! Both Orange and Alvin must win week 10.

Bracket predictions? You want bracket predictions?

Well, lemme see if my swami hat is around.

Oops. It ain't. But let me check my to do list for tomorrow:

1. See lawyer
2. Pressure wash drive way
3. Call appliance repairman (the washing machine's broke and the little lady is gonna make me go to the laundrymat)
4. Go to bank. Don't know why, none of my money spends much time there.
5. Go to dry cleaners. Oh yeah, I took my swami hat to get cleaned. Will have to see if it's done.

Back