Looking For Carbon 1968 Yearbook/1967Football info

Leman Saunders

Six-man expert
Anyone out there happen to have a 1968 Carbon Yearbook handy? Looking for some information about their 1967 football team and hoping that year book has it (67-68 school year). Its a long shot but thought Id post here

Not 66-67? Carbon had a good team in the football year 66. Had a big fast RB that had an attitude problem. He got tossed midway through the third quarter of their bi-district game with Sidney. If my fading memory is working, Sidney won the game 66-36.

I believe Ronnie Hughes was the running back in that bi-district game. I wasn't at the game but Ronnie was a 5"10" 210 lb. beast of a running back. He ran track and bench pressed 400 lbs. One of those generational talents that no one but his football district knew about(Strawn, Gordon, Putnam, Olden, Moran). Of course, he came along before the state playoffs included sixman football and the increased exposure of this website. He later played football on the offensive line at Tarleton State. Carbon had a tough district to win but did win two consecutive district titles in 1965 and 1966 when winning district was the only way to advance.

I believe Ronnie Hughes was the running back in that bi-district game. I wasn't at the game but Ronnie was a 5"10" 210 lb. beast of a running back. He ran track and bench pressed 400 lbs. One of those generational talents that no one but his football district knew about(Strawn, Gordon, Putnam, Olden, Moran). Of course, he came along before the state playoffs included sixman football and the increased exposure of this website. He later played football on the offensive line at Tarleton State. Carbon had a tough district to win but did win two consecutive district titles in 1965 and 1966 when winning district was the only way to advance.
What year did Putnam move out of that district?

Anyone out there happen to have a 1968 Carbon Yearbook handy? Looking for some information about their 1967 football team and hoping that year book has it (67-68 school year). Its a long shot but thought Id post here
If you are on facebook try contacting Randy Pack.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230918_191224_Facebook.jpg
    Screenshot_20230918_191224_Facebook.jpg
    137.2 KB · Views: 3
Thanks guys.

-Blue Bird - No I need to know who was the head coach for the 1967 team...but on this note with the Sidney connection I came across an interesting newspaper article...from the Brownwood paper 1-16-1967 that I thought was pretty cool!
The Sidney Parent Teacher Club met in the auditorium and show the football game films of Sidney vs Carbon and Sidney v Novice....so Sidney had those films a some time!

I think I have the Novice copy of that game...I will check and if so try to upload it

Thanks Leman. I was in the visiters airy pressbox that night in Coleman. The wind was blowing briskly out of the north and it was about 20 degrees. I was in the pressbox because I did not have on enough warm clothes to sit in the stands. It wasn't much better where I was at. By the way, Novice had a bye to get into the Regional game.

Thanks guys.

-Blue Bird - No I need to know who was the head coach for the 1967 team...but on this note with the Sidney connection I came across an interesting newspaper article...from the Brownwood paper 1-16-1967 that I thought was pretty cool!
The Sidney Parent Teacher Club met in the auditorium and show the football game films of Sidney vs Carbon and Sidney v Novice....so Sidney had those films a some time!

I think I have the Novice copy of that game...I will check and if so try to upload it
I believe Charles ryant was the coach at Carbon at that time.

Putnam last year to play football was 1966. Don't recall if they had school the following year but Putnam closed the school down similar to what would happen to Olden and Carbon later on.
I played against Olden in Junior high and maybe my freshman year in high school.

Putnam last year to play football was 1966. Don't recall if they had school the following year but Putnam closed the school down similar to what would happen to Olden and Carbon later on.
From your picture I take it you are a Greyhound that went to UT and graduated from there in 75.
Just can't place everyone in your picture.

I should probably know you.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230919_082206_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20230919_082206_Samsung Internet.jpg
    393.9 KB · Views: 6
Down Box - That is what I am looking to confirm with a yearbook...I know Charles Bryant was the HC there for the 1968 season and suspect he was for the 1967 season but I haven't found a newspaper article saying so yet. I am trying to pin down his coaching career.

Not 66-67? Carbon had a good team in the football year 66. Had a big fast RB that had an attitude problem. He got tossed midway through the third quarter of their bi-district game with Sidney. If my fading memory is working, Sidney won the game 66-36.
SMH. I'm sitting here and can barely remember the team names from the last 3 weeks, much less the score, much less details from something 50+ years ago.

Talk with my cousin that lives in Kokomo, her 3 her brothers were in high school during that time.
She believes some of the yearbooks were taken to the Carbon Community Center after the school was closed and moved to Eastland County Museum after the Carbon fire.
Museum is only open Thursday-Saturday 10:00-14:00 hours, ic they have volunteers to help.
I'll try to get over there later this week.

I contacted the Bryant family with a request for any information that they may have. Hopefully we will hear something soon. I used to work with Charles and Patsy Bryant. Our children went to school together at Panther Creek.

Back