Leman Laments: When will the Undefeated Fall?

granger

Six-man expert
Founder
When Will the Undefeated be Defeated?

Here we are entering week 9 and I thought this might be a fun time to go out on a limb and make some bold predictions as it relates to the undefeated teams right now. WHEN, if at all, will these undefeated teams LOSE.

It is way too early to be making some of these predictions, as so much can happen between now and the title games! For example, look at Division I Region 3: there are three very good undefeated teams and it is impossible to know how that region will turn out. My point being, anything can happen and many different outcomes are possible. However, here is my way to early stab at predicting just when these teams will notch their first loss.

DI:
White Deer 6-0 – Week 9 vs Happy

White Deer will play well in their district opener, better than most think they will, but not well enough to win against a strong Happy squad. White Deer has a good defense, but McCarley and crew are just too much to keep corralled for four quarters.

McLean 7-0 – Week 10 vs White Deer
This is going to be a game! It is the game that many believe (myself included) that will decide 2nd place in district 1, I think McLean shocks the Bucks early and then White Deer comes back for an epic win, handing McLean their first loss and putting a ton of pressure on McLean for their week 11 game vs Happy.

Medina 7-0 – Bi-District vs Jonesboro or Zephyr
Medina will give either of these teams a fight. It will by no means be an easy win for whomever they play from district 10. However, Jonesboro and Zephyr just have deeper embedded playoff experience and tradition to go along with great lineups.

May 7-0 – Area vs Jonesboro or Zephyr
In a repeat of last season May will be undefeated going into their second round matchup, and once again will fall to district 10 runner up, be that Jonesboro or Zephyr. I feel the least confident in this pick, if May wins the Area game I would say they finally suffer defeat in the semis to Union Hill.

Zephyr 7-0 – Quarter-Final vs Jonesboro
Man, region 3 is brutal! I just feel like it will play out much like it did last season with Jonesboro holding strong in a rematch of district foes for the regional championship in the state quarterfinals.

Happy 7-0 – Semi-Finals vs Borden County
I’m predicting the third straight playoff meeting of these two great west Texas programs. The Coyotes just seems to own the Cowboys in this matchup, in 2016 they won by 42 in a quarter-finals matchup, and by 34 in a semifinal match last year. This year Happy will keep it closer, and might even hold a lead during the first half, but Borden County will prevail in the end by less than 30 points.

Union Hill 7-0 – State vs Borden County
In what may be one of the best state games in the last 10 years, the Bulldogs will give power house Borden County a run for their money. Union Hill can compete with BC in special teams (which is huge in six-man) and actually has a slight edge as far as offensive firepower, with the Gabe Nelson/Colt Mallory back field combo. However, Borden County has the defense and therefore the overall edge.

Borden County 7-0 – Remains Undefeated
As I sit here right now, pound for pound, top to bottom from the smallest freshman to the biggest senior, I think Borden County is the best team in division I and my early selection to win it all. Thus finishing the season undefeated with a 28 game win streak that will extend in to 2018.

DII:
Blackwell 7-0 – Week 11 vs Highland

This is the one I will get the most “feedback” for picking. A once great rivalry game for six-man supremacy in Nolan County, Blackwell has not beat Highland since 2002. This game is at Highland, which gives the blue Hornets a slight edge. Blackwell is a tough young team, but I feel like history repeats itself in this game that will decided who’s #1 and #2 in district.

Milford 7-0 – Area vs Richland Springs
In probably the most hyped game of the year, Richland Springs continues their string of knocking off great Milford teams, but by a very narrow margin this year. This is going to be a great game and very close from start to finish. It is a pick’em game for me and in those situations I look at X factors. I think Richland Springs’ drive and tradition trumps Taron Smith, who will be the best player on the field.

Strawn 7-0 – State vs Balmorhea
That’s right… I've got Strawn beating the mighty Richland Springs in the semis. But then the Greyhounds lose to a team on a mission in the state title game, as they get beat by Balmorhea in a slugfest at Jerry’s world.

Balmorhea 6-0 – Remains Undefeated
The Bears will play a well-balanced game against a young Strawn team in Arlington, but the fact that the Bears were there last year and are an overall older and more experienced squad will lead to their close win over a hardnosed Strawn team and that elusive state championship.

Ouch Leman!
The Blackwell Hornets will be ready for that game. I don't think Highland will keep up with our speed. This young group is going to shock people! Go Hornets!!

I have to agree with Coach Brinkman. Blackwell has A LOT of speed this year. This is the best Blackwell team I have seen in a good while. I think Highland isn’t going to anticipate the talent that Blackwell has. And as far as I know. All their starters are healthy.

Predictions are fun and in a game that should be for the district title, will make this rivalry game a good one!!! Two totally different offenses and really good defenses will make this one interesting!! Blackwell and Highland are only 20 miles apart so Home field isn’t really an advantage! You were right about the Blackwell Hornets being young but we will be 10-0 after this game!!!

Wanted to come back on the site to eat crow and say that I was wrong. Blackwell pulled out the victory in a fantastic game. I did notice however that Highland is doing its best at trying to keep up with Blackwell as far as facilities go. Blackwell gets a new stadium/track...now Highland. Blackwell gets a message-center scoreboard...Highland follows suit. As nice as Highland’s new stands are, Blackwell is still the six man showplace, IMO.

Back