Week 7 GAMES of the Week

Leman Saunders

Six-man expert
So with district play starting up there are going to be several big games moving forward...this week I decided to feature 5 games that I think are the biggest games and ones you should be paying attention to.

Grandfalls-Royalty (4-2) @ Sanderson (4-1)
DII district five kicks off district play this week and right off the bat we have a game that will likely have big playoff implications as Grandfalls travels to Sanderson.

The Sanderson Eagles are essentially undefeated (only loss being a UIL forced forfeit to Garden City’s JV), but have had controversy surrounding them ever since their week 2 game verses Marfa, a game Sanderson won 36-8, which ended in the third quarter after a fight broke out. The ensuing mess it caused resulted in the forfeiture of both schools next game and the suspension of Sanderson’s head coach for the rest of the season. The Eagles schedule has been weak so a lot is still unknown about how good they really are.

Grandfalls has done well this season with losses coming at the hands of DI ranked Balmorhea (4-2) and DI surprise team Grady (5-1) in back to back weeks, but the Cowboys righted themselves last week with a 60-14 win over Ft Davis and seem to have some good momentum heading into this week’s big game.

Players to watch:
Sanderson: QB/MLB Wyatt Mills, FB Justin Alvarez and RB/DE Ian Perez
Grandfalls: RB/LB Oscar Huertas, C/DE Jerry Lee Cadena

My take:
Grandfalls passing attack will be a lot better than Sanderson has seen all season and Oscar Huertas can run the ball when need be for the Cowboys as well. I just think Grandfalls tougher schedule and lack of distractions this season will help them a lot in this game and in district play in general.
Grandfalls 68 Sanderson 46

Savoy (3-1) @ Saint Jo (5-0)
Undefeated Saint Jo takes on Savoy in a district 9 showdown. Not a lot of talk about this game and that is unfortunate! Both teams have had solid seasons thus far and appear to be pretty evenly matched on paper. Out of all the big games this week I have a feeling that this one might be the most exciting one!

For Saint Jo QB Preston Lyons who has been a very efficient passer completing 24 of his 33 passes for 367 yards and five TDs and rushing for 272 yards and eight TDs. The Panthers spread the ball around very well with Blake Anderson (314 yards, 8 TDs rushing; 175 yards, 3 TDs receiving), Hunter Garrett (33-250 yards, 8 TDs rushing) and Logan Morman (7-165 yards, 4 TDs receiving) being some of their other offensive standout. Along with Anderson, Brady Hilton, Eli Jones and Chance Bennett are some of their defensive leaders.

Savoy has only played four games due to weather cancellations. Patrik McCaulley has put up some gaudy rushing totals in those four games, two of them rushing for over 300 yards. Jake Popowski, Jonny Stone and Hunter Carrasco are also big play makers for the Cardinals on offense and defense. I will not be shocked if McCaulley has a big game running the ball against the Panther defense.

Like I said I have a feeling this game will be exciting! Hard to pick…but going with Saint Jo here with Savoy putting up a valiant effort. Saint Jo 70 Savoy 64

Crowell (5-1) @ Knox City (3-3)
A big DI district three showdown Friday night in KC. Knox City has had its ups and downs this season, while Crowell has only suffered a setback at the hands of Motley County (101-78) in week 4, a team that beat Knox City last week in a weather shortened game 62-38. SB Abraham Nevarez (1,289, 22 TDs passing; 809, 13 TDs rushing) of Knox City and WR Wesson Ham (343 yards, 8 TDs receiving) will be the two to keep an eye on for the Greyhounds. Crowell has several offensive weapons with QB Seth Bearden (1,035 yards, 16 TDs), and RBs Michael Reeves (508 yards, 11 TDs) and Jemal Lane (484 yards, 9 TDs) with a defense led by Harley Chapman (80 tackles, 3 INTs). Crowell’s defensive edge combined with their multi-threat offense should give them a slight edge in this game. Crowell 58 Knox City 52

White Deer (6-0) vs Union Hill (5-1) - Saturday 4pm @ Bryson
The big non-district game this week has to be this battle between top ten ranked teams in division one. White Deer is one of those hard nose defensive teams that has the luxury of also having a great running and passing game on offense led by QB Graysen Freeman and RB’s Kason Virgil and Gage Freeman. Union Hill features some very talented players with SB Keelon Caffey, who had over 600 total yards last week in their win over 84-36 win over Oakwood, and LB Colt Mallory on defense. This should be a very competitive matchup and a war of attrition. Both seemed evenly matched to me with White Deer’s defense looking to be a bit better, however, I think the bucks tough schedule catches up to them a little here and the Bulldogs burn them with some big plays late and take this one. Union Hill 60 White Deer 50.

Aquilla (2-4) v Blum (4-2)
Another big kickoff to district play (district 10) that is going to be a hard fought district. Aquilla is 2-4, but don’t let that fool you as the Cougars have played some tough teams with their losses coming at the hands of Union Hill, Richland Springs, Oakwood and Jonesboro. Blum is 4-2 and beat Jonesboro handily back in week 2. This should be a good smashmouth type game as both teams are out to prove something and are eyeing that district title. I think Blum has more depth and will be able to get things done late so Im picking the Bobcats over the Cougars 64-52.

Back