Jonesboro

51eleven

Six-man expert
Has a team ever Deserved and Earned the right go to State more?
On top of a 2 point win last week this come from behind win!!!
I'd bet a few older player's are celebrating tonight for them.
Last six years. 12-1, 12-1, 10-1, ,9-3,11-1, 11-1.

I will say , I underestimated UH by a long shot great team and great coaching. Jonesboro coming back from a 24 point deficit I was really fascinated with the heart those boys played with. Great job to both teams.

Congratulations to the Jonesboro eagles on a great game, never giving up. Played without one of your great running backs and still found a way to win. That's what is special about this team. Good luck at state!!!

Congrats Eagles. Great game.
Y'all just keep overcoming adversity and have grown mightily as individuals and as a team.
Never say die.

Front page and lead story in today's Gatesville Messenger.
Jonesboro taking early break
State championship game causes change in holiday schedules
With the Jonesboro Eagles playing for a state championship on Wednesday, the entire district will begin an early Christmas break that same day.
The Eagles are scheduled to face Gail Borden County at 7 p.m. Wednesday in AT&T Stadium for the Class 1A Six-Man Division I state championship. Jonesboro ISD Superintendent Matt Dossey reported school will close at noon Wednesday and students will not return until Jan. 2.
The district was scheduled to dismiss early Friday to begin the Christmas break, but since the state championship game is on Wednesday, the decision was made to begin the holiday early.
The district has chartered a bus to take fans to the game, and a school bus will be used for students.
The Eagles have enjoyed a great amount of success on the football field, but this is their first trip to the state championship game.
Jonesboro has a 46-game winning streak going for regular season games and have won seven consecutive district championships.
This year, the Eagles were bumped up to Division I, which has proven to be a good move. After going undefeated during the regular season, and despite injuries and illness to leading players, the Eagles have
defeated four straight postseason foes.
They have defeated Lometa, 40-32; Newcastle, 72-34; Zephyr, 46-44; and Union Hill, 50-44. (s/b 50-46)

Thanks olderelk for the post,that is awesome. Can't hardly wait for the game, it should be a great one. The Eagles are healthier now than they have been in a long time. I think if they stay focused and play to there capacity, they have a good shot at winning this game. Win or lose, these are a great group of young men. Good luck Eagles!!!!

No problem. Glad to hear the team is getting well. I was wondering about that.
Very deserving young men.
Good luck in the finals.
I'll be watching on the net and pulling for y'all.

While JB has never been to State they have had great success in multiple periods over the years.

http://lonestarfootball.net/game.asp?T= ... =Jonesboro 44&TeamB=Fruitvale <span style=font-size:5pt;>@Midlothian</span> 28

Note: Aquilla disqualified for illegal player, some relation to Parks?
Hope the player injured in the wreck recovered.

Scroll down to 2005.

http://texassixman.pointstreaksites.com ... me/coaches

Should be a lot of former players and fans show up. State is something special no matter how many times a team has played for or won it. Enjoy it! All involved with All teams!

Go Eagles win State, good luck in the game! One of the best teams I have ever watched. Have fun and enjoy the moment, bring home the title!

Good luck tomorrow eagles, play hard and leave it all on the field. Hope you guys can add a state championship trophy to the case. Above all let God have the glory!

Can someone please explain to me why Jonesboro kicked off both halves in the State Championship game?

I know Jonesboro won the toss and elected to kickoff the first half. I thought that meant they would receive the second half??

Thanks,
Hootie

When a team wins the toss they have three choices: receive, kick, or defer to the second half. Evidently JB elected to kick instead of defer.

I know you know this, but they can choose which goal to defend (which could give them the wind if there was any). If they chose to "kick" they would not have this choice, so they actually have four choices.

And I'm having a hard time choosing which choose to use.

I'm convinced the official helped Abner Haynes "screw up" in the 1962 AFL championship game by starting the overtime by telling him he could elect to kick or receive. Abner tried to clarify it by saying, "we will kick to the clock", (he wanted the wind, but got neither the wind or the ball). He did get to kick.

To expound on the answer to the question.
If you win the coin toss and don't defer, the other team gets the choice of what they want to do to start the second half. If you defer, the other team gets the choice of what they want to do to start the game.

JB chose to kick or defend a goal to start the 1st half. If they chose to kick, BC got to choose which goal to defend. If JB chose a goal to defend, BC got to choose whether to kick or receive.

BC chose to receive to start the 2nd half. JB got to choose which goal to defend.

Edward Golden":29fn4ece said:
I was at the game and when given the choices the player elected to kick. This game BC their choice to start 2nd half.

That is how it sounded on the official's mic. Poor kid just made a mistake. I wonder if he was instructed to defer and misspoke knowing they would then be kicking.

Back