Interesting thoughts

Correct
by seeding based on SOS a 5th place team might beat out a 2nd or third place team, Look at the Frisco district I know there are teams that could be competitive in the playoffs.
Terrell in 4a would beat each of the top 4 teams in the district they match up with DISD

Here in Illinois we do it a bit differently. So we have conferences instead of districts, which change yearly because teams want to find an easy route to the playoffs, but thats neither here nor there.

You have to win 6 of your 9 games, or can be the best of the remaining 5 win teams based on your playoff points (playoff points are your opponents total wins).

You can get an automatic bid if you're your conference champion, but your conference has to have more than 5 teams.

We have 8 classes of 32 playoff teams. So about half of the high schools make the football playoffs.

We dont have a public/private split here.

When I played, along with Fred Flintstone, ONLY the district champion advanced. The Strength of Schedule, where every game counts, is the only way you can get a measure of the truly Best Teams in any division, but money corrupts and distorts everything, even in high school sports, especially football. So like it or not MONEY determines How Many Teams Advance. Talent falls to second place.

When I played, along with Fred Flintstone, ONLY the district champion advanced. The Strength of Schedule, where every game counts, is the only way you can get a measure of the truly Best Teams in any division, but money corrupts and distorts everything, even in high school sports, especially football. So like it or not MONEY determines How Many Teams Advance. Talent falls to second place.
Sad but true. What's worse is that I don't see a way that it can ever be undone.

Ok
Lets look at this
How many teams in D-1 and D-2 are sitting at home with a better record OR a better ranking on the toy, Advance the top 48 teams from each division, Top sixteen get a bye after round one reseed by rank and lets get it on

The UIL likes this current set up. It prevents lots of boys from having to play basketball so early in the year and certainly bring in more money than some rinky dink basketball games. The UIL looks important and necessary because they are handing out the trophies while all the parents, players and communities have invested their blood. sweat, time and money to create such a dynamic playoff system. The system could use some tweaking. The UIL needs its wings clipped a little bit too.

Here in Illinois we do it a bit differently. So we have conferences instead of districts, which change yearly because teams want to find an easy route to the playoffs, but thats neither here nor there.

You have to win 6 of your 9 games, or can be the best of the remaining 5 win teams based on your playoff points (playoff points are your opponents total wins).

You can get an automatic bid if you're your conference champion, but your conference has to have more than 5 teams.

We have 8 classes of 32 playoff teams. So about half of the high schools make the football playoffs.

We dont have a public/private split here.
Has there ever been a case where the conference champion had a losing record & 5 teams in it?

Below is the percentage of the Division that makes the playoffs. 11-man is ridiculous. IMHO, only the best should make the playoffs. Two thirds of the division does not need to make it.

1A Div 1 - 32/75 - 43%
1A Div 2 - 32/74 - 43%

2A Div 1 - 64/96 - 67%
2A Div 2 - 64/93 - 69%

3A Div 1 - 64/106 - 60%
3A Div 2 - 64/105 - 61%

4A Div 1 - 64/95 - 67%
4A Div 2 - 64/92 - 70%

5A Div 1 - 64/129 - 50%
5A Div 2 - 64/122 - 52%

6A 128/245 - 52%
Wow that’s crazy

I did not care for the days when only the district champ made the playoffs. Beyond that, I dont care if they all go. In the big picture none of us want what we deserve and are happy to have grace. If there isnt a first round game I want to see nearby, then I wont go. I seriously doubt many schools that are winless in district, get blown out first round, turn around and buy a trophy for their case. Then if they do, Coach Miller and I are definitely going to make fun of you, we grew up in the 1900s. In that case, it would have the value of being todays entertainment.

Here’s the issue; in the past five years, there have been plenty of upset wins from 4’s over 1’s, so on and so forth. I don’t have all of the numbers, but it’s happened. Any given Friday is a great moniker to understand it. Yes, there are ALOT of teams, and sometimes yes the 4 seeds get bashed, but what’s wrong with more football?

Here’s the issue; in the past five years, there have been plenty of upset wins from 4’s over 1’s, so on and so forth. I don’t have all of the numbers, but it’s happened. Any given Friday is a great moniker to understand it. Yes, there are ALOT of teams, and sometimes yes the 4 seeds get bashed, but what’s wrong with more football?
Nobody is saying more football is the problem. What they are saying is there's and imbalance when an 8-2 team stays at home and a 1-9 or an 0-10 team advances.

Wow!!! How things have changed.

1. For years only the district champ made the playoffs. (Often 7-9 teams in district)
2. In the early 80's the runner-up starting going to the playoffs also.
3. Then we split 6-man into 2 divisions and start taking 2 from each district. (4-5 teams)
4. Now we want even more making the playoffs.

Please let making the playoffs mean something.

When we had this discussion about splitting into two divisions and having smaller districts, the only hard and fast rules that I had was that their would be no byes. I still strongly feel that way. I agree with EG "Please let making the playoffs mean something".

When we had this discussion about splitting into two divisions and having smaller districts, the only hard and fast rules that I had was that their would be no byes. I still strongly feel that way. I agree with EG "Please let making the playoffs mean something".
This is exactly what I a saying. It's not a problem with our division, it's a problem with the upper divisions. I believe we do it right, I truly do. I'm all for kids having success, but I am not for kids being given "success". Everything in life worth having is worth working for. If i do not win a game, and I am in the playoffs, deep inside, as a kid or adult, I know I do not belong here. Just because bigger schools do it, does not make it right. I want the UIL to recognize that not everyone deserves to be in the playoffs. Even the top 3 in each district in the bigger schools would be better than it is now.

I DO NOT WANT MORE TEAMS IN THE PLAYOFFS IN OUR DIVISION!!!!

I want equality from top to bottom.

Back