Head Scratchers and Jaw Droppers, Pt. Deux

I shall refrain from any prognostications on what may prove to be the game of the year.
But -
Last year, the state semi-finalist was embarrassed on their home field - then beat the talented upstarts in the playoffs - quite handily.

Could this week's game be a massive role reversal of karmic proportions? You'll probably have to wait until Week 13 to find out.

Johnny South":222k4cbh said:
rainjacktx":222k4cbh said:
Johnny South":222k4cbh said:
The only head scratching and jaw dropping here is for the Strawn Greyhounds. I'm sure that they scratched their head all the way back home just wondering what in the heck did they run into. That's what happens when the Hornets are on the sting!

My bad. I totally missed the Strawn - Rochelle score. No offense to Rochelle, but that particular score should shock everyone. Pretty sure there are even some Rochelle faithful wondering exactly how that happened.

Sorry, R.Jack, but nobody is shocked around here. All ofthe Rochelle faithful know exactly how it happened. Rochelle is Good, and Strawn isn't.

Hat's off to Rochelle. Before you toot your horns too loud remember, it's no secret now Strawn has two players with varsity experience. Sophomore's and Freshmen learning Varsity every week on the field. I hoped for better results but saw progress still. They put up 50 points in week 1 on what would become the number one team in the state. Does that say something positive about Rochelle's defense? I said last week if the Hounds could find a little defense they might have a chance. They found it in the third quarter with two interceptions and a fumble recovery to extend the game. Once again they did not quit.
They did move the ball well but between mistakes expected in young players second game against experienced primarily Sr's they just scored once. Good luck Hornet's and coach Phillips.

The Happy vs Valley match up could be one of the best games this season.
Happy has the home field advantage, but I think Valley will stay committed every play & squeak out the win on the last drive and win by 2. Could it be like the BYU win over Nebraska yesterday?

SWRaider":301x1c5u said:
IMO, the Blum-Strawn matchup Week 1 featured 2 teams that are down this year compared to the past few years.
Strawn is not that great this year. They get whipped by a Blum team that returns very few players from last years team and get 45's by Rochelle.
Blum only beats Rockwall Heritage by 2-3 scores. Both are overrated at this point.

Well one is down this year. Blum is ranked 1-2 the first two weeks. Strawn put up 50 on them with all but a couple being freshmen and sophmores. But the Heritage team I saw in week one came ready to play, they beat a Hermliegh team that 45'd another by half time I believe this week. I think the Christian Schools better watch out for Heritage when district starts. Hermleigh might have learned something about ranking's and overconfidence. Will Strawn gain enough experience by district? Can Blum hang all year?
I like Jonesboro this year in DII just for their consistency the last few year s and they're Coach being from Strawn. They're field is way cool old school too if they've not built a new one in recent years. An Honor for the players to defend and play on.

51eleven":41a8iv9e said:
Before you toot your horns too loud remember, it's no secret now Strawn has two players with varsity experience.

Well now 51, while you are thinking up some more excuses for the Greyhounds, just whose fault is it that those Sophomores don't have any varsity experience?
I think if you look back at week one, Richland Springs used mostly Freshmen and Sophomores too. Matter of fact, I believe that they only have one Senior on their roster.

RoyalandGold":aeup5rs2 said:
51eleven I don't see anyone tootin any horns....Last year Rochelle started a freshman, a soph, and 3 other kids with no varsity experience and we played the Sr heavy Greyhounds a pretty tough game...and I didn't see anyone make any excuses either. As for the Hornets turnovers in the 3rd quarter...if you would have looked a little closer you would have noticed the mostly Rochelle "JV" group in on offense for the final quarter and a half of the game. Also the "mostly" Sr defense starts 3 under class men! I have nothing against Strawn they showed a lot of class and grit but how bout give credit where it is due! Good luck to the Greyhounds!

Sorry if I offended, as I said Hat's off to them, I did think their defense made a statement after the Hound's put up 50 on Blum. And I did realize Flores wasn't in there in the 3rd to finish them off. Coach Phillips was giving his younger players valuable game time experience (hang on to the ball boy's). But I was looking for anything encouraging, even if was from worn out freshmen and sophmores against rested ones. (there's you another "excuse") Johnny.
I freely admit I was PO'd by and should not have responded to posts by Raider and Johnny.

Sorry if I offended, as I said Hat's off to them, I did think their defense made a statement after the Hound's put up 50 on Blum. And I did realize Flores wasn't in there in the 3rd to finish them off. Coach Phillips was giving his younger players valuable game time experience (hang on to the ball boy's). But I was looking for anything encouraging, even if was from worn out freshmen and sophmores against rested ones. (there's you another "excuse") Johnny.
I freely admit I was PO'd by and should not have responded to posts by Raider and Johnny.[/quote]

51, I believe you may be an alright kind of guy.

Johnny South":mcjzke5j said:
I freely admit I was PO'd by and should not have responded to posts by Raider and Johnny.

51, I believe you may be an alright kind of guy.[/quote]

Well I'm no Goob but thanks. The team I follow closest has had a tough start to the year but I have hope they and Rochelle will only continue to get better.

51eleven":23onee6e said:
CowboyP":23onee6e said:
rainjacktx":23onee6e said:
Blue Bird":23onee6e said:
Rainjack, do you have a prediction this week on Valley and Happy?

Update: #3 v. #4 with less than a point difference in The Toy's spread.

My prediction? P-A-I-N
I'll take Happy by 6.

So does this mean you'll be a Happy Cowboy P if they beat your spread?

Too close to call and I have a senior playing for the Cowboys! One of two things will happen... We will find out if valley is as good as everyone thinks they are... Or we will find out if the Cowboys are as good as we think we are! Can't wait for Friday night, should be one hell of a game!

Also a head scratcher for me is another six man site and their rankings??!! No clue what sixmania is thinking with their system of rankings but how in the world does Happy beat Water Valley 50-0 and Knox City only beat the same team by 10 yet is still ranked over Happy? Do they not understand how to rank teams?

Firehog":kgae0atw said:
Also a head scratcher for me is another six man site and their rankings??!! No clue what sixmania is thinking with their system of rankings but how in the world does Happy beat Water Valley 50-0 and Knox City only beat the same team by 10 yet is still ranked over Happy? Do they not understand how to rank teams?
Firehog,
First off, Knox City beat the WV by 22 but, that notwithstanding, you have to keep in mind that the rankings are something of a crapshoot early in the year. Hard to tell what each team has coming back, how the young kids will progress, how coaching changes will affect things, etc. Lots of variables to figure in and lots of fluctuation in the rankings is quite the norm. Remember, rankings are just for fun anyway. Trust me when I say that sixmania.com is run by some knowledgeable folks that have been around the game for a while. They may disagree with the Guru's toy in the rankings now but they'll both end up with the same #1 at the end of the year.

Just looking at the spreads on Sixmania, I'm not sure that their site has been updated this week. A little hard at times to do the website work when your working full time somewhere else.

Back