Week One Head Scratchers and Jaw Droppers

rainjacktx

Six-man fan
Here's a quick list of week 1 games that were closer than I thought they would be and/or complete blowouts that should have been closer.

5. Ira squeaking past Guthrie. I assumed the margin would be much more in Ira's favor. I was wrong.

4. BC over Crowell. The Toy was right, and I guessed right - but I haven't seen Crowell mark one down in the 'L' column in a looong time.

3. Throck losing to Grady by 14. General consensus was Throck is going to be down this year. But saying it and seeing it happen are two different things - kinda like Crowell hitting the canvas.

2. Motley County 45'd Anton. MC was a 10pt. dog. Never saw that one coming. Those guys scare me.

And the NUMBER 1 Jaw Dropper of the Week One......

Happy blanks Water Valley 50-0. That was the score I had to read twice. Either WV is everyone's new bye week, or if you have the Happy Cowboys - you'd better bring a sack lunch.

Granger used to say that private school rankings were a cr*pshoot the first five weeks as you try to figure out who has who and how they do.

Maybe it's true in public schools, too.

rainjacktx":28mete05 said:
Happy blanks Water Valley 50-0. That was the score I had to read twice. Either WV is everyone's new bye week, or if you have the Happy Cowboys - you'd better bring a sack lunch.
I think it's a combination of both. Happy looked really good, WV... not so much. Plenty of work to be done on the WV side, definitely bring a lunch if you have a date with the Cowboys.

yep. The first few weeks are always a mess, trying to see which teams show up. There is such a high variance in six-man in every aspect. One player can make a difference. We may know some, but there is such a high level of unknown -- and those unknowns play such an important part of the game.

No disparagement towards Granger or the toy was intended. Even if I hadn't seen the toy's predictions, the outcome of the games I listed would have still been head scratchers and jaw droppers.

big one was my team loosing 70-38 forestburg didn't show up. I did learn something though Tioga is expected to be a possible 3aschool next year after recount. I wondered why nearly all of hollidays coaches took the job but it makes sense. that town is right in the middle of a growing area. anyway no excuses. tioga has lots of big boys that can block and a running back that's like a bowling ball and has some speed too. I look for them to go into the playoffs deep those coaches have there act together too.

When you say "the quickest defense I have ever seen", that covers a lot of territory and begs the question against whom and compared to what. Well, Water Valley won state in track last year and they didn't graduate everyone off of that track team. I'll even admit that their real speed merchant is not getting a lot of reps on offense as yet. (Probably because the coach wants him healthy for district not reinjured against a team like Happy) But, Happy made Water Valley look....not slow....really slow. It takes a really quick team to do that. So I'll back off of "the quickest defense I have ever seen" and just say "one of the quickest defenses I have ever seen". My problem is that in the 50+ years of watching sixman I would be hard pressed to actually name a team that was as quick.

The game I saw on Friday and the one I listened to on Saturday were both head scratchers. Both were disappointing from my standpoint but encouraging at the same time. Hermleigh was favored to 45 Rockwall Heritage. That may have PO'd Heritage and with a #12 ranking have made Hermleigh over confident.
Heritage looked good. The Card's looked a little shell shocked in the first and early second. Down by I believe 30 at one point they could have folded, they didn't. It was not just the King show for them, they have other talent. A little better basics, blocking and tackling could go a long way. I thought they had a chance to come back at one point after half time but it was not to be. They still have a lot of potential. This loss could have been a good thing for them, it might wake them up.
Strawn was ranked 8th, Blum 7th. I wondered about Strawns ranking after graduating so many seniors with only a couple of Jr's returning. Then I heard of some experienced players not returning. As said in the broadcast they had two players with varsity experience. They would be starting mostly sophomore's and freshmen. Early on I thought the might get 45'd by half time. They too did get way down and could have folded. They did not. Good coaching through Jr High and JV served them well. When they closed to 18 points I thought the might actually have a chance. The Soph's and freshmen stepped up. Allison was outstanding. They can score, if they can find a little defense they can still be good.

I suppose my jaw dropping occurrence was not a game but a player; came away from the Rochelle - Richland springs game very impressed with Marty Flores. Great speed obviously from his track success but sometimes that doesn't transcend to the football field. It does in this case.............

5.Ira lost 15 seniors and Guthrie is a strong team this year so I saw this one as a close one but in Guthrie's favor actually.
4.BC and Crowell I actually thought BC would be closer to a 45 than they were considering all the loss Crowell had too.
3.Throck v. Grady Grady still has speed and Throck is completely a new team, new Coach & new players.
4.MC vs. Anton HUGE SUPRISE!!
5. Happy is defiantly a favorite this year they have the same speed and work ethic as last year and will be a tough test for anyone, but they MUST stay healthy.

I also think the Highland and Hermleigh losses to ROCKWALL HERITAGE and NAZARENE WERE HUGE JAW DROPPERS!!

The Anton game did not suprise me. New Head Coach with no Head Coaching experience. He has only been a DC for a below average East team.

He will figure it out, but it might not be this year.

granger":6dpz8lnl said:
yep. The first few weeks are always a mess, trying to see which teams show up. There is such a high variance in six-man in every aspect. One player can make a difference. We may know some, but there is such a high level of unknown -- and those unknowns play such an important part of the game.

And, Sir, that's one of the most entertaining aspects of the game. One, even unknown kid of six can have a big game and make an impact on it. IMHO.

What surprised me was the Aquilla vs Dallas Academy game , Aquilla must have been holding back, or maybe the new coach has his head stuck up somewhere....

smokeyjoe53":3lh099bm said:
I suppose my jaw dropping occurrence was not a game but a player; came away from the Rochelle - Richland springs game very impressed with Marty Flores. Great speed obviously from his track success but sometimes that doesn't transcend to the football field. It does in this case.............

After reading about him last year I planned on watching him this Friday. Though I'm not sure I want to see him against my favorite team this year. But that decision was mitigated for me. I was told I'm going to watch a granddaughter do a mini cheerleader thing at the Stephenville game. The Hounds on defense this week better pull their belt's tight before the game.

After reading about him last year I planned on watching him this Friday. Though I'm not sure I want to see him against my favorite team this year. But that decision was mitigated for me. I was told I'm going to watch a granddaughter do a mini cheerleader thing at the Stephenville game. The Hounds on defense this week better pull their belt's tight before the game.

I believe that Marty put up 60 pts alone against the Hounds last year.. IN Strawn! Should be an interesting game!

Petersburg beating Jayton is a WOW to me.
and the biggest one of the night was Hermleigh getting pounded by Rockwall Heritage.

All the talk was how good Hermleigh was going to be. Well they may turn it around and go a few rounds deep but WEEK 1, They got thrown around by Heritage.

Maybe a key player could have been out with an injury. Who knows? Could be that one team may have worked harder in the summer than the other. Not just in this game, but other considered upsets as well. Only time will tell. It's early and teams will recover and step it up if they want it.

RS was down to Rochelle 28-27 in the 3rd before the Coyotes made a run to end the game...looked like the Hornets had a lot of guys cramp up in the fourth. Is Rochelle better then expected or RS not as good as expected?

truthhurts04":1jc1o3m3 said:
RS was down to Rochelle 28-27 in the 3rd before the Coyotes made a run to end the game...looked like the Hornets had a lot of guys cramp up in the fourth. Is Rochelle better then expected or RS not as good as expected?
To me it appeared to be a typical first game for both teams. Missed assignments, tackles, blocks, dropped balls. Overall a well-matched game..........

Back